Status
Not open for further replies.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
First time I have seen this

People compare D+1, D+2, D+ 3 years if they align

I get Marner spent an extra year in OHL so the comparison isnt straight for him and Stutzle but Matthews and Stutzle both played their ELCs out right away so a direct comparison is there

I think it’s kind of dumb to compare them at that stage. Matthews was a very advanced player in this D+1 year, even in his draft year. Stutzle was very raw in comparison.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The guy who won the Hart, back to back rockets and has been leading the league in goal scoring since coming in as a rookie.

Stutzle is a stud too though, good contract younger player. I'll take the more established guy that is his generations best goal scorer and also has a great 2 way game.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Which 5 million dollar players are people taking when contracts are considered? Can I get a list?

The whole “there’s no legitimate argument”. Sure there is. He out produced Matthews last year and is on a much better contract.

He barely outproduced an injured Matthews (didn't outpace him)... this sounds like an argument for Matthews

Last edited:

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Low cap hit > Rocket Richard to some.
$5M is a lot though

Rakell, McCann, Brodie, Dylan Strome are some players making $5M. It absolutely would help you build around Stutzle. Really depends on your team needs and if you have good players on ELC's or cheaper contracts or what not.

If you're up against the cap and have a hole to fill, you take Stutzle. If you have great depth and flexibility with your roster, you take Matthews.

It's not a diss to Matthews, $5M is a pretty large difference and while Matthews is better than Stutzle, Stutzle is still an elite 1C himself.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
$5M is a lot though

Rakell, McCann, Brodie, Dylan Strome are some players making $5M. It absolutely would help you build around Stutzle. Really depends on your team needs and if you have good players on ELC's or cheaper contracts or what not.

If you're up against the cap and have a hole to fill, you take Stutzle. If you have great depth and flexibility with your roster, you take Matthews.

It's not a diss to Matthews, $5M is a pretty large difference and while Matthews is better than Stutzle, Stutzle is still an elite 1C himself.

I wouldn't take any of those guys and Stutzle over Matthews... there are definitely some players, Tuch comes to mind immediately, but not those ones. There are only a few.

How many elite 1C are there?

Reactions: AvroArrow

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I wouldn't take any of those guys and Stutzle over Matthews... there are definitely some players, Tuch comes to mind immediately, but not those ones. There are only a few.

How many elite 1C are there?
Neither would I but depends entirely on team needs. Dylan Strome looks like a decent 2C, like say you're Boston for example. You could punch in both of those guys in your top 6 and you're ready to compete again. Really depends on team needs, for Toronto though, I'll Matthews at the extra $5M.

Reactions: PainForShane

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
With contracts in the equation, maybe Stutzle, but that's the only way it's him afaic. This thread came up some time last year and I had some Sens fans trying to laugh me out of the building for not thinking Stutzle was/would be the better player. Matthews is literally one season removed from a Hart and 2nd Richard trophy in a row. Last year he was 20 points worse than '22 bc of injuries and still had the same ppg as Stutzle. Even if Stutzle continues to improve, it's not even remotely certain that he does anything as good as Matthews did in 2022.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Matthews is slightly better offensively.

A very inconsistent player though who can't be relied on defensively and will fluctuate between 45-55 goals and struggle to break 100 points. Stutzle may not be the same level of goal scorer but he's a better all around player.

Taking contracts into account, it makes picking Stutzle an easy decision.

are you serious?
how can you come to the conclusion stutzle is a better all around player.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
People also ignore even if they produced identically, Matthews is the vastly more physical and better defensive player as well. This is easy choice
They probably ignore it because it’s false.
Tim usually around 50% more hits each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad