Tim Stutzle vs Auston Matthews Contracts Included

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It's always crazy to see how many people think 5 million in cap space automatically turns into Alex Tuch and not Nikita Zaitsev.

I just looked through the players with a ~5 million dollar cap hit, and there are very few I'd take with Stutzle over Matthews.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sure this sounds good but the 5 million extra was spent on Tarasenko who is at best maybe an average top 6 RW right now?

Take the better scorer and overall player in AM but he is a Leaf so many will take the non Leaf.

Better poll would be Stutzle versus Mack or someone like that.
MacK, even though he's better than Matthews and signed for term, still wouldn't be the correct pick here.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Matthews hit the 100 pt pace in his 5th year (102 I think in 2021 56 game season). Before likely peaking at 120 pace in his 6th year

I don't see Stutzle as a matthews level player. He is a rantanen/marner level player imo.

He could prove that wrong and be better than Matthews but I dont see him challenging for the hart/lindsay/rocket

After three seasons, Matthews put up 73 points in 68 games for a 1.07 PPG. That was his best season to date.

After three seasons, Stutzle just put up 90 points in 82 78 games for a 1.10 1.15 PPG. That was also his best season to date.

Yes, scoring has gone up, and Matthews went on to put up one spectacular season in 2021-2022.

All I'm saying is, you're comparing the career of a guy with more than twice as much time in the NHL and assuming that Stutzle is close to peaking when Matthews hadn't come close to peaking at the same stage of his career.

It seems unlikely but I guess we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkatcherin00

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
After three seasons, Matthews put up 73 points in 68 games for a 1.07 PPG.

After three seasons, Stutzle just put up 90 points in 82 games for a 1.10 PPG.

Yes, scoring has gone up, and Matthews went on to put up one spectacular season in 2021-2022.

All I'm saying is, you're comparing the career of a guy with twice as much time in the NHL and assuming that Stutzle has peaked when Matthews hadn't come close to peaking at the same stage of his career.
Matthews also had 2 better seasons on his ELC then Stutzles first two years

Throughout his ELC his ppg was 0.967 vs Stutzle having 0.843

Winning 2 rockets + hart + lindsay isnt something you can project/expect on any player

Im not expecting matthews to win the hart+lindsay ever again for example.

A lot of guys have elite years but then stay around the same level or a little better, or they take a while to explode further.

Johnny Hockey is an example, in 2016 (his 23 year season since he did time in NCAA) had 78 in 79, then had some elite years and down years, before his 2022 insane year

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Matthews hit the 100 pt pace in his 5th year (102 I think in 2021 56 game season). Before likely peaking at 120 pace in his 6th year

I don't see Stutzle as a matthews level player. He is a rantanen/marner level player imo.

He could prove that wrong and be better than Matthews but I dont see him challenging for the hart/lindsay/rocket
Rantanen and Marner both outscored Matthews by a significant amount last season....

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
MacK, even though he's better than Matthews and signed for term, still wouldn't be the correct pick here.
Really its Hughes, since hes a similar or bit better player signed to a better deal

Him, or Tage thompson

Rantanen and Marner both outscored Matthews by a significant amount last season....
Matthews had 94 pt pace, while Rantanen had 105 and marner about 101

3 years before that Matthews was ahead of Marner and Rantanen both.

Matthews has been consistently a level above marner and rantanen 3 out of 4 years.

Reactions: Voight and wetcoast

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Stutzle played half of that period on the wing where he clearly didn't belong.

Once he was playing centre, like Matthews, he put up a similar PPG.

This poll would be a fairly predictable "bird in the hand" poll if it wasn't for contracts, which is probably why they're included as part of the poll in order to make it more interesting.

But Matthews' production continued to rise in seasons 4-6 so I think it's fair to believe that Stutzle's might as well.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Stutzle played half of that period on the wing where he clearly didn't belong.

Once he was playing centre, like Matthews, he put up a similar PPG.
Guess we will have to wait and see what Stutzle does.

Sens fans project him very high while I do think he will be elite but not quite so high.

Will admit im wrong if hes top 5/10 pt producer next year

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Guess we will have to wait and see what Stutzle does.

Sens fans project him very high while I do think he will be elite but not quite so high.

Will admit im wrong if hes top 5/10 pt producer next year

I think most Sens fans peg him at 85-100 points, to be honest.

There are a few very enthusiastic fans out there, like with any fan base.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I think most Sens fans peg him at 85-100 points, to be honest.

There are a few very enthusiastic fans out there, like with any fan base.
Well i have him around 90-95 pts and matthews with a bit of a bounce back at 100-105.

It could be reverse where matthews is at 90-95 and stutzle at 100-105

Both have a lot of offensive talent on their teams

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Matthews as the player still comsiderably ahead

Contracts included its closer

Expecting Matthews to be around 55 goals and 105 pts

Stutzle similar year to this season.

Contracts included would take Stutzle though Matthews is still on 11.634M for this year
You think Stü has that goal scoring ability?

40G, 50-60 assist with better defensive even strength play would be an awesome season for Jimmy imo.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
After three seasons, Matthews put up 73 points in 68 games for a 1.07 PPG. That was his best season to date.

After three seasons, Stutzle just put up 90 points in 82 games for a 1.10 PPG. That was also his best season to date.

All I'm saying is, you're comparing the career of a guy with more than twice as much time in the NHL and assuming that Stutzle is close to peaking when Matthews hadn't come close to peaking at the same stage of his career.

It seems unlikely but I guess we'll see what happens.
Stutzle 90 points was 78 games.

Reactions: NyQuil

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Really its Hughes, since hes a similar or bit better player signed to a better deal

Him, or Tage thompson

Matthews had 94 pt pace, while Rantanen had 105 and marner about 101

3 years before that Matthews was ahead of Marner and Rantanen both.

Matthews has been consistently a level above marner and rantanen 3 out of 4 years.
Not including playoffs I guess. Where Rantanen has a 1.24 ppg to Matthews 0.88.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Winning 2 rockets + hart + lindsay isnt something you can project/expect on any player

Im not expecting matthews to win the hart+lindsay ever again for example.

A lot of guys have elite years but then stay around the same level or a little better, or they take a while to explode further.

Johnny Hockey is an example, in 2016 (his 23 year season since he did time in NCAA) had 78 in 79, then had some elite years and down years, before his 2022 insane year
Matthew’s started his ELC at 19, so Stu’s 90 points is equivalent to year 2 of Matthew’s.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Matthews is my answer.

Stutzle is great, but at this point he is not as accomplished as Auston Matthews and Toronto is trying to win the Stanley Cup. If you're a younger up and coming team, like the Senators, a cost-controlled Tim Stutzle makes sense to build around, but if you're trying to push your group over the top, you keep the overall better player, and right now you cannot convince me that isn't (when healthy) AM 34.

No disrespect to Ottawa, which should be a fun team to watch going forward. Stutzle / Sanderson was just an excellent draft for the Sens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad