Player Discussion Tim Stützle - LW/C - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Here's hoping he can get the monkey off his back tonight just like Sokolov did in Belleville the other night

TkachukNorrisFacts

Makes Onions Cry
Jun 18, 2021
This is my OCD for good defensive play and good puck management but I found myself pulling my hair off my head watching the game last night in live. So many plays die on his stick just because he's soft on the puck and gets easily taken off the puck. The issue is the play then goes to the other end of the ice and then he's usually out of position/not covering his man and often puck watching waiting for the puck on the breakout creating extra work for Paul and Brown. He really has a hard time winning puck battles and gets handled in corners and along the boards. Again his shot selections ... it would be interesting if someone could find stats of shots on goal vs shot attempts. He has a hard time getting puck through and often will take a shot when he has available teammates with open lanes to shoot, again often killing the play. He needs to work on his one-timer too, he's taking too long to get his shot off on the PP or when he has an opportunity making it easy for other teams to get in lanes. His body language isn't great either, if he turns the puck over he'll put his head up in disbelief instead of hustling on the backcheck. He tries to deke 2-3 guys instead of just making the simple dump allowing his teammates to go off extending shifts and putting the team in a bad position. It's just bad puck management, he looks stressed out there. I'm hoping coring a couple goals will give him more confidence. He needs to play with more conviction.

All in all, very typical things you see in young talented one-way players, he'll get better but the more I watch him play and the more I'm thinking he'll really need some time to get to the level we think he's capable of reaching. Hopefully he has a Mackinnon type growth as he gets stronger and more dominant. I know some people will lynch me for this message, especially considering he's our prized prospect and people don't want to say anything negative about him but that's just the reality right now. Karlsson was one of the best players in the world and he had his flaws, and Jimmy has some too. I like the occasional flash but when he puts the team at a disadvantage more often than it helps it really grinds my gears.

I'm not worried about him but I'm certainly annoyed when I'm focusing on him on a nightly basis.
You're definitely not alone on this.

Notice how everyone's so excited about him still, yet no one is suggesting he play C anymore?

I think deep down inside a lot of people know what you are saying is true, but don't want to admit it to themselves yet.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Notice how everyone's so excited about him still, yet no one is suggesting he play C anymore?

I think deep down inside a lot of people know what you are saying is true, but don't want to admit it to themselves yet.

Perhaps this is what high end skill looks like instead with less determination vs lesser skill and more determination.

Love Jimmy, and he has a ton of room to grow, but this is exactly why we are building a team that has all kinds of different players with different strengths in the top 9, or he’ll even the 4 lines rolling.

Someone has to battle, regardless of skill level, and the more that do it, the better your team is.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Jimmy will still wind up with almost 60 points this season IMO. He’s close to going on a serious heater.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Again his shot selections ... it would be interesting if someone could find stats of shots on goal vs shot attempts.

He has 10 SOG on 18 attempts, which is in line with every other forward.

Norris 18/32
Paul 22/31
Batherson 18/31
Tkachuk 8/16
Brown 7/17

Last year 59% of his attempts were on net which is above average.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That was his job this past summer however. He had almost 5-6 months to develop his strength. I believe this was highlighted by the team's management at the end of last year..
He's a teenager playing in the best league in the world.

I know you've got yourself a heck of anti Sens thing going, as evidenced through your contributions to the various GDTs, but you are really struggling if you don't get that a teenager needs to (and will) add strength to play in the NHL

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He has 10 SOG on 18 attempts, which is in line with every other forward.

Norris 18/32
Paul 22/31
Batherson 18/31
Tkachuk 8/16
Brown 7/17

Last year 59% of his attempts were on net which is above average.

Thanks for the info!

I guess I'm noticing it more for him than I do for others since I really focus on him.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Yep, definitely noticing that as well for the center proposition. When a player is special in how he thinks the game it's something you usually notice right away. There's a ton of players who rely on physical skills rather than thinking the game. Stone and Pinto are examples of guys you can just see right away that they know where to put the puck, know when to hold on to it, know when to dish it to their teammates, and know when to shoot, know where to be when they don't have the puck and finally are just good at disrupting the play. These guys had to figure out at a younger age how to counter against teams and players who had a lot more skill than they had. Obviously both these guys were older, stronger, and had more experience when they came into the league which inevitably made a difference.

I think It's pretty rare to have a combination of both physical skills and IQ because in junior players who dominate because of their physical skills don't NEED to think the game like guys who don't have those physical attributes. So when they get to the NHL it can be a big adjustment but in a different way, where Pinto might have a harder time adjust to the speed, I think Stutzle is struggling at knowing what to do and when on the defensive side of things and also when he has the puck. IMO he will really become better as his physical skills get better (especially strenght) , I don't think he'll ever be close to a Patrick Kane (and that comparison wasn't fair to begin with). Kane is one of those anomalies where he thought the game at high level from a young age, and had the physical skills so his adjustment period was basically non-existent. Zegras would be another more recent example of player like that. I think ultimately Timmy ends up more like a Taylor Hall type which would be amazing.

I think the NHL is a big adjustment for Stutzle, it seems to me like he was simply dominating in Germany because he was faster, more agile and had more talent than everyone else. Now in the NHL he has above average speed and above average skill but he can't rely on that alone. He's not fast enough to be beating guys wide like a Formenton can, and most NHLers have something in common which is average to above average defensive play (especially in players 25 and above) so they can disrupt the junior/flashy plays that Stutzle is trying to create rather easily. There's no ice available for him to maneuver compared to what he had in Germany. Guys are on you quick in the NHL and they're battling for contracts and playing time, it's a different game altogether. The time he had in Germany to think about what he was going to do with the puck is now reduced significantly. When you make mistakes defensively in the NHL they're noticed because it often ends up in your net.

Last edited:

Razor Face

Feb 17, 2020
This is my OCD for good defensive play and good puck management but I found myself pulling my hair off my head watching the game last night in live. So many plays die on his stick just because he's soft on the puck and gets easily taken off the puck. The issue is the play then goes to the other end of the ice and then he's usually out of position/not covering his man and often puck watching waiting for the puck on the breakout creating extra work for Paul and Brown. He really has a hard time winning puck battles and gets handled in corners and along the boards. Again his shot selections ... it would be interesting if someone could find stats of shots on goal vs shot attempts. He has a hard time getting puck through and often will take a shot when he has available teammates with open lanes to shoot, again often killing the play. He needs to work on his one-timer too, he's taking too long to get his shot off on the PP or when he has an opportunity making it easy for other teams to get in lanes. His body language isn't great either, if he turns the puck over he'll put his head up in disbelief instead of hustling on the backcheck. He tries to deke 2-3 guys instead of just making the simple dump allowing his teammates to go off extending shifts and putting the team in a bad position. It's just bad puck management, he looks stressed out there. I'm hoping coring a couple goals will give him more confidence. He needs to play with more conviction.

All in all, very typical things you see in young talented one-way players, he'll get better but the more I watch him play and the more I'm thinking he'll really need some time to get to the level we think he's capable of reaching. Hopefully he has a Mackinnon type growth as he gets stronger and more dominant. I know some people will lynch me for this message, especially considering he's our prized prospect and people don't want to say anything negative about him but that's just the reality right now. Karlsson was one of the best players in the world and he had his flaws, and Jimmy has some too. I like the occasional flash but when he puts the team at a disadvantage more often than it helps it really grinds my gears.

I'm not worried about him but I'm certainly annoyed when I'm focusing on him on a nightly basis.

Would have agreed with this last season, but I think he has been night and day better so far this year. When he had the puck last year it felt like he was always on the verge of losing it. He is maintaining control much better this year, creating chances and making plays. He has had flashes where he takes over the game and is the best player on the ice, never saw that last year. Granted still losing puck battles but drawing penalties and throwing some hits. Think he will only get more solid as he matures as a player.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He is significantly better this year than last. His puck retention, puck possession time, puck protection, defensive awareness, active stick, and crispness with the puck are extremely notable. He just needs to continue to see what works and hone his game+explosiveness. Not to mention get better linemates but that'll come with Pinto and then later Sokolov/another addition.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He is significantly better this year than last. His puck retention, puck possession time, puck protection, defensive awareness, active stick, and crispness with the puck are extremely notable. He just needs to continue to see what works and hone his game+explosiveness. Not to mention get better linemates but that'll come with Pinto and then later Sokolov/another addition.

Puck retention is an area where he really improved, plenty of times last season the puck would roll of his stick when he had space. Seemed like his upper body was a little out of control at times but it looks that he has taken care of that issue. I think Connor Brown is a fine linemate and plays to his strengths. Nick Paul does many things well and does bring plenty to any line he is on but I think Stutzle would be better suited with a more accomplished puck distributor in the middle. In transition, Mike Johnson highlighted it tonight on the Connor Brown goal. His ability to make the opposition bite on a move to the middle and cut back outside is high end and McDavid-esque but for him to do that he needs to get the puck in transition and I don't feel like that is happening enough with Paul at C.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
does he have a good shot from distance? Hasn’t shown that one shot and ability to be able to score from outside the faceoff circles.

He's always trying to get the puck through traffic and its getting blocked more often than not

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He's always trying to get the puck through traffic and its getting blocked more often than not

I noticed that. I’m not worried about his goal scoring, just surprised he’s not scoring more and I wonder about his touch

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
does he have a good shot from distance? Hasn’t shown that one shot and ability to be able to score from outside the faceoff circles.

Last year he scored one against Montreal outside the faceoff circle. The puck came out of the net faster than it went in. You should revisit his goals from last season and the quality of his shot.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
His 200ft play this year so far, and incredible adjustment, frankly, has reopened the debate for me anyways, of his validity as a center. This kid is quite a student, and a quick learner. Should have had two assists last night, but as long as he contributes, he will keep his confidence. Took a hit to set up a goal, and avoided a Klingberg hit by being aggressive and playing on the edge. Love his game

Reactions: Ice-Tray

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Jimmy needs some acting lessons, so he can put on a deadpan face when refs fail to make the tripping call. Practice mime, where u say nothing..pull on imaginary rope

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
His 200ft play this year so far, and incredible adjustment, frankly, has reopened the debate for me anyways, of his validity as a center. This kid is quite a student, and a quick learner. Should have had two assists last night, but as long as he contributes, he will keep his confidence. Took a hit to set up a goal, and avoided a Klingberg hit by being aggressive and playing on the edge. Love his game

he delivered a few decent hits too - impressive for a 19 year old skilled forward.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
he delivered a few decent hits too - impressive for a 19 year old skilled forward.

Physical play is probably his most underrated trait. Those who watched him in WJC saw him absolutely lay out a few people in the same shift, let alone entire tourney.

Here is a reminder against the more talented and physically gifted Canadian squad:

Once Stutzle grows and matures into his body, he will be one of the best all-around players in the league. Can't freaking wait.

Reactions: DJB

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

I still want him to play C eventually. He is player who is better in motion and I think that extends to his defensive play.

Tactically his ability to carry the puck would be better suited to center as well. Remember how Karlsson would pick up the puck in his own zone and it would be in the offensive zone without a sweat? That's what Stutzle can bring as well. Invaluable.

He's not perfect defensively obviously, but he's still a teenager and it isn't from lack of awareness or effort that he suffers, just lack of experience and strength. I'm fine with him being a winger for now, but eventually we should try him at C and see how it goes.

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
He's lucky to have been drafted by a rebuilding Ottawa Senators, which is giving him more ice-time & favourable offensive deployment. He may not have been so lucky with a team like the NYR for example, though I understand the argument that he would have played with better players there..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad