Tim Murray has greatly impressed / Rehash Regier Era

ZeroPT*

The guy is a superb judge of talent that much is very clear.

Keeping Pysyk in the AHL as long as he possibly could while signing guys like Mez, Benoit and Kraken alone probably resulted in us having 4 or 5 less points than we should have. How many people could have guessed that would have played such an important role for the tank in October?

Going out of his mind trying to trade up and draft Larkin who is now a top 10 drafted prospect in all of Hockey if not top 5.

Going out of his mind trying to get Bryan Murray to draft Getzlaf and then trade up and draft Perry. His role in drafting Karlsson.

He's just a very good judge of talent.
There are more examples of this. Fasching for one and probably the most controversial name around these parts... Neuvrith. He's been a rock ever since we acquired him. I really hope we keep him going forward.
He'd love the NBA draft

I hate the NBA draft. I almost punched a wall after the Sixer's took Peyton, thinking they'd trade MCW before they turn around and flip him for Saric.

My emotions are all over the place at the NBA draft.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
I enjoy listening to Murray talk, you get a lot more out of him than we ever did with Darcy..although to be fair to Darcy that may have been due to past ownership/management. You just never really knew what the hell the guy was thinking or what his direction was.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
There are more examples of this. Fasching for one and probably the most controversial name around these parts... Neuvrith. He's been a rock ever since we acquired him. I really hope we keep him going forward.
I hesitated with Fasching because he started to turn heads that Summer but Murray went out and got him instead of talking about it like another GM.

As far as I know Neuvirth was the most botched 3rd round pick trade in the history of the league. Still on the fence with that one. :laugh:

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I enjoy listening to Murray talk, you get a lot more out of him than we ever did with Darcy..although to be fair to Darcy that may have been due to past ownership/management. You just never really knew what the hell the guy was thinking or what his direction was.

I agree, I love how Murray will tell you pretty much everything and I think he does the same with other GMs in the league. He's building very good relationships with other GMs in the league which is really gonna help us when it comes to trading. he will talk to any GM about anybody rather than just tell them no so I think he's doing a good job at building his rep with other GMs at least. This from him really shows that:

Brayton Wilson of WGR 550: (Thursday) Sabres GM Tim Murray has been talking to teams on a regular basis.

“I’ve called a couple people that I’ve had conversations with earlier in the year,†Murray said. “I had some calls today, made a couple calls back to people, left a message. There are teams that are interested in some of your guys and teams that are not interested. Have I called 29 other teams, I haven’t. But I’ve talked to several teams.â€

Murray has had talks on a player that took him by surprise.

“I had a call like that today that I never thought I would get on a guy,†Murray said. “He actually said, ‘Can you believe I’m calling you on this guy?’ And I said, ‘No, I cn’t. But let’s talk.â€

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Ya I don't really see why you think that. Zero said Barbashev is most closely similar to girgs. But more directly to the lack of Lemieux types, we have Deslauriers, Foligno and more importantly guys like Lemieux are always available. Carcillo Shaw Kaleta types are always around around for cheap. Or certainly available for a second round pick when they are already developed.

It remains a concerning pick.

I think he drafted him knowing Winnipeg wanted him...

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think he drafted him knowing Winnipeg wanted him...

That is not very believable and it would definitely not be a good thing if he's drafting players based on possible future trades that might never come about

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
As do I. Murray's a rare GM in sports that I truly enjoy listening to. Not that it means much for his job, but I like it.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

Darcy certainly wasn't much of an interview but he certainly started our rebuild and tank with great trades. He was all in McEichel.
Doubt we would have seen Georges, Gionta or Moulson.
Looks like he started the tank here but might finish the job in AZI.
Murrays legacy with this fan base will come down to McEichel. Too many
Sabres fans have invested the last 2 years for this draft..... for this moment.
Trade away what ever it takes to not win another game this season. Do you think
Arizona is going to win another game this year. I don't. I also don't think their
100 fans care either.
Ted Nolan is going to feel the hate also if this doesn't end well.

Snargitz

Nov 27, 2005
Brisbane
Too many Sabres fans have invested the last 2 years for this draft..... for this moment. Trade away what ever it takes to not win another game this season. Do you think Arizona is going to win another game this year. I don't.

Well we play Arizona twice this month, someone has to win those games.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
It's too early to tell, since we don't know the outcome. Because since the start we have been a bottom-dweller and that hasn't changed, yet.

It's not hard to be worst. It's harder to become the best, which has to be the goal and we don't know for sure, yet that Tim Murray has the capacity to build a team who can do that.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
It's too early to tell, since we don't know the outcome. Because since the start we have been a bottom-dweller and that hasn't changed, yet.

It's not hard to be worst. It's harder to become the best, which has to be the goal and we don't know for sure, yet that Tim Murray has the capacity to build a team who can do that.

The defining time period for TM started last June culminates this June. The past has removed the cancer known as the "Rochester Core". The deals made to date by TM are redefining the organizations identity. This dead line day is the pre-completion of that journey. This coming June and subsequent off season completes that aspect to myself in any event.

In the final analysis, regardless if it's McDavid or Eichel, the bottom will have been hit and in the rear view mirror. A new era will dawn on Sabres hockey and history will be made.

IMHO

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Not being able to control Nolan, as part of tank, could be Murray's undoing. Dressing guys we were about to trade, shows this ship has two captains. Not good.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Not being able to control Nolan, as part of tank, could be Murray's undoing. Dressing guys we were about to trade, shows this ship has two captains. Not good.

Murray absolutely could have told Murray not to dress Stewart or Mitchell if he wanted to. It's his call. It wouldn't contradict the things he said about not imposing himself on the coach, because it's a roster matter. Murray chose not to have Nolan scratch those guys.

SiDC1

Dec 3, 2011
Northern Va
The defining time period for TM started last June culminates this June. The past has removed the cancer known as the "Rochester Core". The deals made to date by TM are redefining the organizations identity. This dead line day is the pre-completion of that journey. This coming June and subsequent off season completes that aspect to myself in any event.

In the final analysis, regardless if it's McDavid or Eichel, the bottom will have been hit and in the rear view mirror. A new era will dawn on Sabres hockey and history will be made.

IMHO

I guess in your world the sun shines everyday and there is world peace.... Just getting the top 2 picks is not Murray's defining moment. Hell, Darcy was well on his way to get a top pick this draft. There are some seriously major decisions that Murray still has to make that can **** up this rebuild.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
I guess in your world the sun shines everyday and there is world peace.... Just getting the top 2 picks is not Murray's defining moment. Hell, Darcy was well on his way to get a top pick this draft. There are some seriously major decisions that Murray still has to make that can **** up this rebuild.
He may have already made those major decisions.

- Trading for Neuvirth in the first place may have been the most costly move.

- Hanging onto Stewart and Mitchell for this long..

- Calling up Pysyk instead of Ruhwedel..

All of these decisions have greatly jeopardized the tank.

But the silver lining is that the Sabres are in last place and if Murray wants to finish 30th, he has the power to finish the job. It's all on him. It comes down to whether or not you believe he actually will.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

But the silver lining is that the Sabres are in last place and if Murray wants to finish 30th, he has the power to finish the job. It's all on him. It comes down to whether or not you believe he actually will.

I remember one of TM's interviews over the summer - WGR, when he basically said he knew how to strip down a team at the trade deadline to finish last. He didn't use those exact words but it was certainly implied.

Tick tock......

KennyFnPowers*

Buffalo sports fans are conditioned to prepare themselves for the worst so it doesn't hurt as much when it happens. It's all psychological. Magic, Hypnosis, Curses, etc are not real, guys. Relax.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I fully believe the Myers trade will bite him in the ass. His main argument was that Myers needs good players around him to succeed. Well, what is this team trying to become in 2 years?

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Personally think Darcy was/is the better GM. Still to this day don't understand why he was fired. He was getting great returns for players and was putting no doubt in who the worst team in the league was.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I fully believe the Myers trade will bite him in the ass. His main argument was that Myers needs good players around him to succeed. Well, what is this team trying to become in 2 years?

Yep. Every player needs good players around them to succeed. Ristolainen is rocking some horrific numbers and I wouldn't presume were necessarily going to have any defensemen as good as Myers over the next decade.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Personally think Darcy was/is the better GM. Still to this day don't understand why he was fired. He was getting great returns for players and was putting no doubt in who the worst team in the league was.

But potentially ruining players like Grigorenko while doing so.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011

This also by some twist of fate put Halak on the Islanders.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00