Tim Murray has greatly impressed / Rehash Regier Era

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
I fully believe the Myers trade will bite him in the ass. His main argument was that Myers needs good players around him to succeed. Well, what is this team trying to become in 2 years?

I doubt it.

Kane's the most skilled player in the trade. If he becomes the player he's capable of being, Murray in no way, shape or form loses the trade. Not to mention Bogo seems to be a better defender than any version of Myers that we've seen in the past handful of seasons.

Myers has A LOT more to improve on for this trade to bite TM in the ass.

If anything, IMO the deal is more likely to go down as a win for TM as opposed to a loss

That being said, I still feel this deal will be one of those good trades where both sides look back at things and still feel good about it

Sabres83

Feb 27, 2014
I doubt it.

Kane's the most skilled player in the trade. If he becomes the player he's capable of being, Murray in no way, shape or form loses the trade. Not to mention Bogo seems to be a better defender than any version of Myers that we've seen in the past handful of seasons.

Myers has A LOT more to improve on for this trade to bite TM in the ass.

If anything, IMO the deal is more likely to go down as a win for TM as opposed to a loss

That being said, I still feel this deal will be one of those good trades where both sides look back at things and still feel good about it

I think Myers is already showing what he's capable of in Winnipeg. I'd way rather have Myers' game than Bogo's. That said, I'm giving Murray a chance before I say it was a bad trade. Kane may turn out to be elite, or he could be a headcase like the media portrayed him as.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Personally think Darcy was/is the better GM. Still to this day don't understand why he was fired. He was getting great returns for players and was putting no doubt in who the worst team in the league was.

And then what was he going to do? My issue with Darcy was his teams never had a sense of direction with how they were built, unless you count on "make sure your goalie is really really good so he can steal games for you" as a direction. For all the positive outcomes from trades he received, he was horrible with the rest of the job of being a GM. IMO, his worse years were when most GM's best years would be; WHEN he had FULL control of the team.

He made terrible decisions after terrible decisions, and worse, after many years of being a build a team through the draft guy and bringing up guys when they're ready, he skewed away from this and he started with this with Myers. Part of me thinks he panicked as he saw the window to possibly compete for the playoffs start closing and made the decision to keep Myers up here because he played well in his rookie year.

Orvald

Feb 24, 2015
Belgium
Darcy would never have pulled off the winnipeg trade and give up what murray did for it.
That also means it likely would never have happened.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Darcy made a lot of good moves in his time here, and many bad. I'm fine with when he was fired. The team eventually became terrible and there were no excuses.

But, I don't understand exclaiming Murray is so much better or whatever, beyond the usual homer nonsense. It's way too early to judge anything he's done.

KennyFnPowers*

GMTM gets **** DONE.

Last edited by a moderator:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
there's about 160 posts on the main board that disagree w/ you on the Stewie return... Everyone screaming overpayment (I'd tend to agree).

Who knows for sure about overpayment? I have been biting my lip for the last 10 games or so watching Stuart make a lot of good plays, creating room when he is on the ice, killing penalties, scoring. He is in his contract year and will want to show he is worth his contract. Haters will continue to hate however...

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Not every GM is just willing to let players go for next to nothing. There were plenty of years where Regier could've sold off pending UFAs at the deadline and didn't.

So are you saying you are praising the GM for letting the players go for next to nothing? Or are you saying no other GM is so terrible they would not let the players go for next to nothing?

Letting players go for next to nothing is a positive?

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
So are you saying you are praising the GM for letting the players go for next to nothing? Or are you saying no other GM is so terrible they would not let the players go for next to nothing?

next to nothing >>>>>> nothing

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
But, I don't understand exclaiming Murray is so much better or whatever, beyond the usual homer nonsense. It's way too early to judge anything he's done.

I think he's shown he'll do anything to win, including blatantly throwing a season. After they draft their superstar, I suspect he'll quickly build a team with Pegula's bottomless bank account.

KennyFnPowers*

Not every GM is just willing to let players go for next to nothing. There were plenty of years where Regier could've sold off pending UFAs at the deadline and didn't.

and of course, he picks THIS year, with another team. (!!!)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

I'm praising him for not letting bit ****ing players play over their heads and ruin our chance at a generational player. Yeah, I am praising him for that. What of it?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Letting pending UFAs who aren't in the future plans go for something? I'll praise him for that, absolutely.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
I'd give Murray a B+ for today. Nothing I'm excited about coming back, but got rid of all the guys he needed to.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
He did what he needed to do in getting rid of some players.

I think that he had painted himself in a bit of a corner as everyone knew he was selling all UFAs, and wanted to get something for them.

Mez and Benoit are still here, which will get in the way of Pysyk coming up and playing so well.

You've got to think that Nolan is pissed that his hard working non-quitters are gone.

If he is truly angry and spiteful, he will keep playing Hodgson and Larrson for 5 minutes per game and Jeremy D'Amigo wil put in 17.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Darcy was awful at bringing in players when the team needed a final piece or two. Murray hasn't had that opportunity yet. Regier's trade deadline acquisitions for playoff help were completely awful. I think Zubrus was the last one that actually helped the team and probably Heinze before that.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
The reality is, Murray's job this season was securing the highest possible draft pick. We can assume this for a myriad of obvious reasons, but most recently because Pegula is clearly okay retaining salary in order to move players for underwhelming return. Why? So that we have a clear path to last in the league, and a franchise center.

In that regard, gotta give Murray a high mark. Only an A if we actually seal the deal.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I'm very happy with today and I think the best part is that Murray likely learned some valuable lessons while still unloading the players he wanted. He likely sat on Stewart for too long and demanded too much after he figured that out and that's something he can learn from. But a lesson like that wont hurt us this year.

KennyFnPowers*

I'm very happy with today and I think the best part is that Murray likely learned some valuable lessons while still unloading the players he wanted. He likely sat on Stewart for too long and demanded too much after he figured that out and that's something he can learn from. But a lesson like that wont hurt us this year.

there's no way to know for sure (that there was ever an offer for more than a 2nd rounder). you have to think he'd have done it if so.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00