Tim Leiweke: Looking for Hockey Ops President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't understand how that works.

Nonis made the playoffs, then "improved" the team by bringing in Bolland and Clarkson putting us right up against the cap while expecting not to make the playoffs?

That's ****ed. How is that a deflection?

People were pissed that we were going to miss, Dreger said "Oh well Nonis knew we wouldn't make it" to make it seem like Nonis knew this was coming,

I never said it was a good deflection :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
see, I don't believe for 1 second that the bolded is accurate.

If you don't think BB tried to rush back into the playoffs, then I don't know what to tell you.

DNs moves, scream of "just get me into the playoffs"

I will waive my Naivety flag here.
Burke said he didn't want to come here unless he had full autonomy, and stressed throughout the time he was here. So yah he rushed, when everyone in the city were flat out expecting not to make the playoffs. which was different from the JFJ era when the city was expecting to make the playoffs.

It's been stated time and again that the GM of all MLSE franchises are now running with 100 % autonomy. so quite frankly I'm not going to give them crutch that they were told..

and again - Dave Nonis's moves were based on what happened last year. the expectation this year was to make the playoffs. the problem is - he flubbed up. And again if the rumours were true and he told the board that it wouldn't work. then he flubbed up there too. either way Dave done goofed.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
and again - Dave Nonis's moves were based on what happened last year. the expectation this year was to make the playoffs. the problem is - he flubbed up. And again if the rumours were true and he told the board that it wouldn't work. then he flubbed up there too. either way Dave done goofed.

Or he told them it would be a struggle and he was right.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Burke said he didn't want to come here unless he had full autonomy, and stressed throughout the time he was here. So yah he rushed, when everyone in the city were flat out expecting not to make the playoffs. which was different from the JFJ era when the city was expecting to make the playoffs.

It's been stated time and again that the GM of all MLSE franchises are now running with 100 % autonomy. so quite frankly I'm not going to give them crutch that they were told..

DJ, having full autonomy does not preclude ownership and the top boss from setting the agenda or top priorities.

The GM has full autonomy to try and reach their #1 objective.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

There is zero reason to believe either Burke or Nonis were told to make the Playoffs, zero.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
DJ, having full autonomy does not preclude ownership and the top boss from setting the agenda or top priorities.

Faltorvo. Could you possibly clarify what your standpoint is, where it is you're coming from here?

This entire time you've been going back and forth with people I just really don't understand the point you're trying to make. Could you please spell it out for me. Are you trying to absolve Nonis of responsibility for this year?

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
TSN radio just had an excellent segment with Mark Masters (Leafs beat guy). Mentions that it seems Randy knows something is coming. Said the locker room feels a lot like a trade deadline day where many guys are talking like they know changes are coming ie reflecting on their times as Leafs, asying how much they enjoy playing for the Leafs etc. Said JvR was really pissed off.

When it gets uploaded I'll post a link

IMO JVR is probably one of the top 3 least likely players to expect a change in scenery next year. He's exactly the kind of player you WANT on your team if you're Leiweke

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
IMO JVR is probably one of the top 3 least likely players to expect a change in scenery next year. He's exactly the kind of player you WANT on your team if you're Leiweke

I think he's pissed off about the situation and how this disastorous end to the season happened.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

I think he's pissed off about the situation and how this disastorous end to the season happened.

Ya, I worded that wrong. JvR was pissed about the way the season went.

He mentioned Reimer, Kadri, and Franson in regards to guys and moving over the summer.

EDIT - Heres the clip. The first bit is random junk but it gets good.

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/Macko and Cauz Mark Masters April 10.mp3

WinB4IDIE

Oct 22, 2007
Ontario
Do you have faith in Tim Leiweke

well let see Tim Leiweke extended Dave Nonis for four years recently then stood there and watched said Dave Nonis sign one guy that is a 3rd d-man at best to a 1st d-man contract, then singed a second line winger, and a ONE dimensional player as well to a 1st line contract so can we really trust Tim Leiweke judgment on hockey matters? The vibe I get from Tim Leiweke is he seems to be the type of guy you see in the old movies they come to town where it hasn't rained a drop for mouths, he jumps around, puts on a show and if by fluke of nature it happens to rain they take all the credit.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

the #1 objective for ANY team is to win to win the cup.

Management ALWAYS tries to get involved - and it's up to the GM to say piss off. I mean you hear about it in LA all the time. Lieweke asks questions and stuff (and admitted it so whatever) - and Lombardi said, no. this is the plan I've got and we're going to see it through.

Just because Management gets involved doesn't mean you have to do it. I mean this means you can get fired, maybe. but it doens't mean yo give up YOUR plan to just be "oh okay. win."

There is zero reason to believe either Burke or Nonis were told to make the Playoffs, zero.

and that.

Faltorvo. Could you possibly clarify what your standpoint is, where it is you're coming from here?

This entire time you've been going back and forth with people I just really don't understand the point you're trying to make. Could you please spell it out for me. Are you trying to absolve Nonis of responsibility for this year?

:laugh: that would be good to know too.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'll judge him by the results we see
So far, coming in and thinking the team didn't need fixing, wasn't a great start
Extending Nonis for 5 years without any kind of GM search......not a great start

Un33q

Apr 8, 2010
Toronto
He will be judged on this offseason and 2014-15 season. His aggressive nature makes me optimistic...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
100%.

He is a smart guy. Brought in the right guy for the Raps. Played a massive part in TFC's turn around. Wouldn't have been done if not for him.

All the LA teams were successful under his watch.

He is the first CEO we have had, that I feel comfortable with making sports decisions.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
at first I thought that Leiweke was an idiot to extend nonis. I even made a thread about it.

now I realize he did it just to get his confidence.

And now that he knows our front office is full of idiots hes gonna bring in a president to fire Nonis and the rest of the organization from the top down. There is no reason to bring in a president if hes confident with nonis. I remember from the stombo interview how he said he rebuild the raps front office from the top down, and IMO he wants the new president to do the same thing here.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
well let see Tim Leiweke extended Dave Nonis for four years recently then stood there and watched said Dave Nonis sign one guy that is a 3rd d-man at best to a 1st d-man contract, then singed a second line winger, and a ONE dimensional player as well to a 1st line contract so can we really trust Tim Leiweke judgment on hockey matters? The vibe I get from Tim Leiweke is he seems to be the type of guy you see in the old movies they come to town where it hasn't rained a drop for mouths, he jumps around, puts on a show and if by fluke of nature it happens to rain they take all the credit.

So, you think we should not have faith in Tim Leiweke because you disagree with Nonis' player evaluations. And why should we believe your player evaluations? Do you have some credentials that you can state?

I'm not sure that any hockey executive necessarily is all that capable of being 100% capable of making the right moves. I think there is a huge amount of luck involved in how various moves work out. Hell, there's a huge amount of luck in the game itself. Heck, the puck bounces slightly differently on one of Boston's three third period goals in game 7 of last year's playoffs and the Leafs are playing in the second round and go who knows how far.

Bluejaysfan*

* Said he was going to fix the TFC and bring back interest along with making them competitive...check

* Said he was going to fix the Raptors and bring back interest along with making them competitive...check

He hasn't had a chance to focus on the Leafs but he has come through on the other 2 teams and both have bright futures, especially in the case of the Raptors with their youth, draft picks accumulated, playoff contention already and cap space in the future.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
the #1 objective for ANY team is to win to win the cup.

yes and no. some teams yes, especially if the team is used as a tax writeoff,etc and the owners dont' care about profitabilty; or the league itself is just so crazy profitable that it's impossible not to roll in the black.

however, the first objective is usually to be financially sound, and to meet operating profit objectives over the course of the fiscal year.

saying winning the cup will accomplish that is actually bad business; because winning the playoffs involves alot of skill, investment, and more importantly luck. alot of great teams with great management won the cup, but certainly some have not with any regularity. upper management usually doesn't roll their financial plans around "luck".

ownership would love the feather in their cap of a winning team, but that's a secondary objective.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
100% I have faith in him.

He hasn't even really focused on the Leafs yet. Look at the other teams... It's only a matter of time.

Leaf fans just be patient!

BlueBomber76

Mar 14, 2009
M-City
www.thequits.com
What does a Senior Hockey Operations person do??

Does this mean he will be Nonis' boss or is it a fluff position to make the fans feel like they are doing something to improve their situation.

If you are going to hire someone for another small fortune, why not just cut out the middle man and just replace Nonis?

In his time here, (including burke time), they have failed miserably. Last year (shortened season with major collapses) was a fluke and the product they have put together is not good. Yes, we took Boston 7 games, but I think that is more of Boston making mistakes in the series than us playing great hockey.

My thoughts.

Fire Carlyle
Fire Nonis
Trade Phaneuf
Trade Lupul
Trade Clarkson
Trade/Package Bozak
Trade/Package Kadri
Trade Package Franson

See if any combination of the above can net us an elite #1D or #1C and/or a pick in the top 5 in this years draft and work with that.

Rather make those big changes and build from their than to have to watch this team **** the bed year after year.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
So, you think we should not have faith in Tim Leiweke because you disagree with Nonis' player evaluations. And why should we believe your player evaluations? Do you have some credentials that you can state?

I'm not sure that any hockey executive necessarily is all that capable of being 100% capable of making the right moves. I think there is a huge amount of luck involved in how various moves work out. Hell, there's a huge amount of luck in the game itself. Heck, the puck bounces slightly differently on one of Boston's three third period goals in game 7 of last year's playoffs and the Leafs are playing in the second round and go who knows how far.

he started with the raptors and the TORONTO FC,,,a monkey can run the leafs and they ll make money ,he knows that ,i think in all honesty ,seeing this club perform over a full schedule and likley asking outside input from his contacts ,realized this club hasnt really got a direction or identity ....but he did endorse long term signings and he did extend nonis ,if he has a boss ,maybe he has some explaining to do .

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I have complete faith he'll bring in quality people to run the team if he feels the present guys aren't up to the job.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
What does a Senior Hockey Operations person do??

Does this mean he will be Nonis' boss or is it a fluff position to make the fans feel like they are doing something to improve their situation.

If you are going to hire someone for another small fortune, why not just cut out the middle man and just replace Nonis?

In his time here, (including burke time), they have failed miserably. Last year (shortened season with major collapses) was a fluke and the product they have put together is not good. Yes, we took Boston 7 games, but I think that is more of Boston making mistakes in the series than us playing great hockey.

My thoughts.

Fire Carlyle
Fire Nonis
Trade Phaneuf
Trade Lupul
Trade Clarkson
Trade/Package Bozak
Trade/Package Kadri
Trade Package Franson

See if any combination of the above can net us an elite #1D or #1C and/or a pick in the top 5 in this years draft and work with that.

Rather make those big changes and build from their than to have to watch this team **** the bed year after year.

Bozak is not the type of player you want to trade... He is so versatile why would you trade a guy like that? He's friends with your star, he can play 1st, 2nd, or 3rd line. He is decent at faceoffs, he plays defense...

What's not to like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad