Tim Leiweke: Looking for Hockey Ops President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Dear Mr. Leiweke.

You should realise something. I am the most patient person on the planet. I am also one of the most optimistic people you'll ever meet. I may be your typical leaf fan when the game is on, but I usually tend to take the time after, to look at everything through certain glasses. This year, I understood that no matter I psyched myself up that anything can happen, and I shoot for the stars, and sure, why can't the Leafs win it all, I understood that even with Bolland and Clarkson - we were still in the top five of the youngest teams in the NHL.

I was prepared for Oogly. I can handle Oogly.

What I can't take anymore, is a team that literally finds new and cruel ways to crush my heart. You weren't here during the eighteen wheeler- actually, that was the year you won the cup. Lovely. But you were around for Game Seven, right? You saw how that was like - unthinkable, right? And now - you have got to see this team blowing an 8 point lead - they were third two weeks ago, and now have to have a miracle run to make the playoffs?

I watched you with tears in your eyes, introducing Defoe and Bradley and saying "Why can't we be great?" to TFC who had to suffer for seven years or something and I'm sure it was really really painful for them.. You made grand sweeping changes to the Raptors and they get to go make the playoffs.

Why are you ignoring the Leafs? Why won't you do something or say something that makes US believe that we can be great? Because, I'm really, really tired. I'm tired of the note from [insert General Manager's name here] saying "Sorry for disappointing you, we'll try better next time!" because they flamed out so horrendously. I'm tired of seeing teams winning cups before we do.

So fix the damn team already. Get people here who can do their stupid job, who can get good players, because I'm getting pissed off. Holy crap man. Where are you?

Sincerely
One ticked off Daisy.

Jacques Trap*

I'm betting he'd read this and not care on iota if not flat out laugh

Guys in his position only care about the bottom line and not the product on the ice. In some markets one would affect the other. Not in Toronto.

Keep filling the building and dishing out for merchandise. That's all he or the board cares about.

guelphleafsfan

Oct 19, 2009
Dear Mr. Leiweke.

You should realise something. I am the most patient person on the planet. I am also one of the most optimistic people you'll ever meet. I may be your typical leaf fan when the game is on, but I usually tend to take the time after, to look at everything through certain glasses. This year, I understood that no matter I psyched myself up that anything can happen, and I shoot for the stars, and sure, why can't the Leafs win it all, I understood that even with Bolland and Clarkson - we were still in the top five of the youngest teams in the NHL.

What I can't take anymore, is a team that literally finds new and cruel ways to crush my heart. You weren't here during the eighteen wheeler- actually, that was the year you won the cup. Lovely. But you were around for Game Seven, right? You saw how that was like - unthinkable, right? And now - you have got to see this team blowing an 8 point lead - they were third two weeks ago, and now have to have a miracle run to make the playoffs?

I watched you with tears in your eyes, introducing Defoe and Bradley and saying "Why can't we be great?" to TFC who had to suffer for seven years or something and I'm sure it was really really painful for them.. You made grand sweeping changes to the Raptors and they get to go make the playoffs.

Why are you ignoring the Leafs? Why won't you do something or say something that makes US believe that we can be great? Because, I'm really, really tired. I'm tired of the note from [insert General Manager's name here] saying "Sorry for disappointing you, we'll try better next time!" because they flamed out so horrendously. I'm tired of seeing teams winning cups before we do.

So fix the damn team already. Get people here who can do their stupid job, who can get good players, because I'm getting pissed off. Holy crap man. Where are you?

Sincerely
One ticked off Daisy.

that was beautiful man.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Dear Mr. Leiweke.

Sincerely
One ticked off Daisy.

How about some suggestions? Who would you like him to bring in?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
When is the last time we had a GM who built a cup winner start to finish? Fletcher in Calgary in the 90's? When is the last time we had an owner who didn't need a board meeting to hire a GM? Ballard?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Very well said Daisy, but, unfortunately I think it will fall on deaf ears.

the Raps and TFC are a completely animal then the Leafs. Leiweke knew that he had to improve the Raps and TFC because if he didn't, then the fans would stop showing up and buying merchandise.

He doesn't have to worry about that problem when it comes to the Leafs.

From what I heard, there is apparently a 10 year waiting list for seasons tickets to Leaf games and not to mention they are BY FAR the most expensive seats of any team in the NHL.

It's sad, but, unfortunately it's true, I can't see anything changing with the Leafs anytime soon

P.S, even if he wanted to improve the Leafs, it's not easy with the Cap in the NHL.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Guys in his position only care about the bottom line and not the product on the ice. In some markets one would affect the other. Not in Toronto.

Keep filling the building and dishing out for merchandise. That's all he or the board cares about.

Couldn't possibly be any more wrong. The Leafs will always make money, but they will make money hand over fist with a successful team.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON

this couldn't be more wrong. if he didn't care, he would've left tfc and the raptors to dwindle in the wind. he didn't let that happen and i'm positive that he won't let that happen to the leafs.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
that was beautiful woman.

Fixed that for you.

It seems that Tim Leiweke is actually doing something with other MLS&E franchises, so there is a possibility that someone from the top will actually do his best to bring in the right people to fix the Maple Leafs.

I know we all preach "it will take time" and in the end get disappointed. There have been too many broken promises with the Leafs and eventually people are no longer going to care about this franchise.

There are many kids who were born since Sundin retired that has never known what it's like to see a winning hockey team. Do you believe they will be growing up Leafs fans? This is the legacy this franchise has left on fans. Soon a new generation will grow up being fans of other teams.

Way to ruin almost 100 years of legacy. I just find it dumbfounding that multiple executives, general managers and coaches all came together and messed up this team over a decade. It is mind boggling to have that much ineptness manage this team.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
How about some suggestions? Who would you like him to bring in?

okay. - here we go.

#1: change the coach. I would bring in Dineen. [but then you'd have to also make a decision on Nonis because you can not have the same cycle of "new coach is here before new GM"] I would ideally like to have a good GM mind that has a good drafting sense, because that's severely, severely needed here. for all of JFJ's faults, he drafted well. [my suggest is Ron Hextall. Worked with Lombardi + Leiweke in Los Angeles].

#2 hammer out a mandate of WHAT the identity of the team is going to be, and then make sure that's what the identity is. If we're a rushing team, then be a rushing team that is smart defensively - because there's nothing wrong with that. if we're going to be a puck possession team, then be that - but bring in the players who fit that, and ship out the players who don't. make the hard decisions.

#3: if you're going to rebuild. rebuild. we're FINALLY rebuilding but we're still a very very very very very long way away. have the guts to do it. but they CAN'T becauseof the 100th anniversary. It's too close to have a team that isn't even remotely competitive. So the other logical step is to rein-force the team with players who are older and can actually make a difference. this team stuffers from a lot of things, one of which is wisdom and old-age. but pick ONE direction and stay the course.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
TL needs to demand that Dion be stripped of the C at the very least.

slip out the back door after the game you just had?

this is our C?, it's shameful!

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
I'm afraid my friend's father is right. Dion Phaneuf is the worst maple leaf captain ever. 3 major collapses!

Change the captain Timmy!

7 million dollar man gets dumped by Alex Steen who is much smaller than him. Give away after give away. It's no wonder our young guys can't develop, they don't have a true leader.

TheThrill81*

TL needs to demand that Dion be stripped of the C at the very least.

slip out the back door after the game you just had?

this is our C?, it's shameful!

Oh look, another "expert" insider. :shakehead

TheThrill81*

We're a popular team according to capgeek

2a4tqtd.jpg

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
what this team needs is bloody patience and NOT trading draft picks and prospects.

Where are we ranked in prospects according to most of the experts?
In the bottom half of the league. For a team that has been so bad, for so long you'd think our prospect pool would be loaded with studs. sadly it isn't.

We let Mac and Graboski leave last summer when we could have traded them for picks. Who are we going to let walk this summer?

Upper Leaf management would never hire a Bowman, Shero or Chiarelli because those types do things without having to run to upper management for approval. They want "yes" men.

So again this year, like so many years in the last decade we miss the playoffs (probably) but aren't bad enough to get a decent draft pick. And how many picks has Nonis traded away for this years draft?

There's a saying “Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it†that is the Toronto Maple Leafs in a nutshell.

Next years draft is one of the deepest in years and I am hoping that our Leafs are horrible and get a chance to draft a Mcdavid, Eichel or Hanifan.

Keep your picks, trade for more picks, don't sign ridiculous UFA contracts for players like Clarkson, hope to get lucky in late draft picks and hope that Stamkos wants to come home, like Parise did.

Rebuilds do not work if you don't have a decent core to rebuild around.

TheThrill81*

what this team needs is bloody patience and NOT trading draft picks and prospects.

Where are we ranked in prospects according to most of the experts?
In the bottom half of the league. For a team that has been so bad, for so long you'd think our prospect pool would be loaded with studs. sadly it isn't.

We let Mac and Graboski leave last summer when we could have traded them for picks. Who are we going to let walk this summer?

Upper Leaf management would never hire a Bowman, Shero or Chiarelli because those types do things without having to run to upper management for approval. They want "yes" men.

So again this year, like so many years in the last decade we miss the playoffs (probably) but aren't bad enough to get a decent draft pick. And how many picks has Nonis traded away for this years draft?

There's a saying “Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it†that is the Toronto Maple Leafs in a nutshell.

Next years draft is one of the deepest in years and I am hoping that our Leafs are horrible and get a chance to draft a Mcdavid, Eichel or Hanifan.

Keep your picks, trade for more picks, don't sign ridiculous UFA contracts for players like Clarkson, hope to get lucky in late draft picks and hope that Stamkos wants to come home, like Parise did.

Rebuilds do not work if you don't have a decent core to rebuild around.

Next year's draft is the deepest one in years? That's the first time I'm hearing that. I think the 2013 draft was the deepest one in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad