Tim Leiweke: Looking for Hockey Ops President

Status
Not open for further replies.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Ya, I worded that wrong. JvR was pissed about the way the season went.

He mentioned Reimer, Kadri, and Franson in regards to guys and moving over the summer.

EDIT - Heres the clip. The first bit is random junk but it gets good.

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/Macko and Cauz Mark Masters April 10.mp3

In all honesty, I think its deserved that some of the players have that feeling of it being their last time in Toronto.

Nonis went through the deadline and didn't acquire anyone or make any changes, saying I have faith in this group, and they turned around and instead of showing Nonis he did the right thing, they didn't put their best product on the ice and go on an 8 game losing streak to fall from 3rd in the conference to 6th last.

jayswagger

May 20, 2011
Toronto, ON
In my mind, makes perfect sense - the President of Hockey Ops becomes the "face" of the hockey franchise - he's responsible for the overall direction the hockey team takes. Makes sense to make it a hockey player.

Leiweke then gets out of the public eye around changes with this team and can concentrate on being "behind the scenes" rather than in front of the camera (notice, everyone is talking about Leiweke now rather than Nonis to make changes).

With the new Pres of Hockey ops - he gets to evaluate Nonis, Carlyle, Scouting Staff and all of them and if it doesn't work, bring in someone who does know.

Almost see this role similar to what Linden got in Vancouver, or Phil Jackson with the New York Knicks.

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
well let see Tim Leiweke extended Dave Nonis for four years recently then stood there and watched said Dave Nonis sign one guy that is a 3rd d-man at best to a 1st d-man contract, then singed a second line winger, and a ONE dimensional player as well to a 1st line contract so can we really trust Tim Leiweke judgment on hockey matters? The vibe I get from Tim Leiweke is he seems to be the type of guy you see in the old movies they come to town where it hasn't rained a drop for mouths, he jumps around, puts on a show and if by fluke of nature it happens to rain they take all the credit.

You are thinking of it solely from the leafs perspective. If you want to get a guage on him, look what he did for TFC and to a smaller extent, the raptors.

I have complete faith in him.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
so far, i've liked what he has done with the raptors and tfc. when he came in, he said he was going to make big changes to both those teams and he kept his word. i think he'll do the same for the leafs. we're the crown jewel of MLSE and he won't ignore us. he'll bring in his own people (Shanahan) who will in-turn bring in their own people (a new GM and HC). a culture change is required and i trust leiweke to do that...

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
what do you think Tim Leiweke is bring in a new president to do?

Do you think the new president will clean house in the organization from the top bottom?

Do you think the new presidents sole job is to fire Nonis after Tim gave him an extension (Tim doesn't want to look like an idiot)?

Do you think this new president will do nothing big in regards to firing people (but then why hire him in the first place)?

Its obvious we are looking, Bob and Kyper have tweeted about it. If its Shanahan, im happy, he has all the Detroit hookups. If its someone else, I'm also satisfied (as long as they know everyone in the hockey world and hire the best people).

Damn, I cant edit that title

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Nope, I don't have faith in TL on the hockey side of it.

But my lack of faith is not about him per say.

It's in ownership and what their #1 priority is above all.

above all is "just get us in the playoffs"

once that is stabilised , then work toward building a cup winner is what I believe the mandate tree looks like.

I don't trust/have faith in the people in charge to succeed under those parameters.

The motivations behind moves/transactions are a detriment to building toward long term ,high end success.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
The Raptors and TFC have seen instant improvement from his involvement with them. Certainly not powerhouses but progress starts from somewhere and TL was able to identify different issues with each team (Raptors - changing managing which instituted new culture and expectations, TFC - bringing in talent that addresses needs on the team). Those two things make me optimistic about him here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad