Tim Duncan

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The best and leaving in the classiest way.

Can't wait until Lebron's 3 hour retirement special featuring celebrity guests after a similar farewell tour to Kobe with 45 min presentations at the beginning of each game.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
About as humble a superstar as you ever want to see in any sport. Truly a class act and a great player.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Much respect to Duncan. Not the biggest basketball fan, but the way he conducted himself made me respect a lot.

In a sea of pompous, arrogant, over-promoted stars was Tim Duncan. A guy who would just show up to the arena, do his job (do it well might i add) and then go home. No showing off, no ego. Nothing. Just a basketball player playing the game. Pure class and humility all the way as evidenced by the fact he's not even going to be at his retirement conference.

With all of that being said, how much of this decision was influenced by the events that unfolded in free agency? San Antonio was a legitimate title contender before the Warriors went nuts, but obviously their moves changed things. Seems crazy to me Duncan would walk out on another legit shot at a title if it was there. Though he did look kind of old towards the end of the year anyway.

Rides off into the sunset not with a bang, but a whimper. And he wouldn't have it any other way.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Much respect to Duncan. Not the biggest basketball fan, but the way he conducted himself made me respect a lot.

In a sea of pompous, arrogant, over-promoted stars was Tim Duncan. A guy who would just show up to the arena, do his job (do it well might i add) and then go home. No showing off, no ego. Nothing. Just a basketball player playing the game. Pure class and humility all the way as evidenced by the fact he's not even going to be at his retirement conference.

With all of that being said, how much of this decision was influenced by the events that unfolded in free agency? San Antonio was a legitimate title contender before the Warriors went nuts, but obviously their moves changed things. Seems crazy to me Duncan would walk out on another legit shot at a title if it was there. Though he did look kind of old towards the end of the year anyway.

Rides off into the sunset not with a bang, but a whimper. And he wouldn't have it any other way.

San Antonio is still a legit contender. They won 67 games last year, which was overshadowed by the Warriors. Yeah they lost to the Thunder but they replace Duncan with Gasol, who averaged double the PPG and added 4 more RPG than Duncan. I wouldn't sleep on them.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Kobe needed his Rivera/Jeter pat-on-the-back fest playing for a team that was garbage while this man just went to work and did his job. True professional that has never been about himself.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Nothing but respect for Duncan. Reminds me a lot of Lidstrom in his consistency and how he handled himself.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Such an absurdly consistent player, plus I love his quiet attitude. All he was as a basketball player was showing up, dominating, and going home. He didn't care about the attention and bravado that other stars seem to be crazy about. Pretty sad to see him leave, I just realized I've been watching him for nearly 10 years.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Sad day for Spurs fans all around the world, i had a blast watching him, my favorite player of all time.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Great player, probably 10th all time. No way near the level of Kobe though, which is no knock on him. Still a hella great player.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I remember when I was really young I hated him, so did many of my friends. So boring, where's the dunks, where's the stomping round the court talking ****. Uninformed young me thought he sucked, KG was much much better.

Then I started to get older, I started to get more mature, and my appreciation of Duncan grew and grew. It became cool to me that this guy was a professional, that he didn't feel the need to go around spouting off, he was quiet, unassuming, unselfish, and got the job done. He didn't need attention, he didn't need validation, he just worked hard and got the rewards. His play always did the talking and it spoke loud and clear.

For that reason, I've come to have such a soft spot for Timmy as so many do. I know it's weird, but I can plot my development from young punk kid to reasonable adult through my appreciation of the big fundamental. I've had many conversations with a couple of guys I watch ball with where we have had this same reflection, poll us when we were younger, give me KG, give me C-Webb, today give me TD without hesitation.

And now, unsurprisingly, I ****ing loathe KG.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Nothing but respect for Duncan. Reminds me a lot of Lidstrom in his consistency and how he handled himself.

Great comparison I think. The guy who is consistent, dominant, great team success, and yet always the guy who felt like he was just there. Appreciated by everyone and yet seemingly unnoticed at times as well, or perhaps just taken for granted. It's easy to forget them at times in a world where so many people want to say look at me look at me. Substance over style in a world seemingly obsessed with style at times.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Such an absurdly consistent player, plus I love his quiet attitude. All he was as a basketball player was showing up, dominating, and going home. He didn't care about the attention and bravado that other stars seem to be crazy about. Pretty sad to see him leave, I just realized I've been watching him for nearly 10 years.

At Wake Forest, Tim Duncan published a paper in a psychology journal. Look at the title. https://t.co/XwcsRN3H9T https://t.co/e1YIl8Nqec

Say Hey Kid

Whole cell block was dancing to the jailhouse rock
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Top 12 all time. Casual fans will always consider the more exciting, flashy, Lakers Kobe and Magic better, but Tim was great and won 5 rings also. The Admiral never won a ring w/o Tim.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Best PF ever. Look up loyalty in the dictionary and you will see him and Kobe, sucks we are losing two absolute legends in the same year.

I spent parts of my early years in SA, always had a small piece of me devoted to the Spurs. Model franchise led by a model player. His 2003 finals was one of the best ever.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Best PF ever. Look up loyalty in the dictionary and you will see him and Kobe, sucks we are losing two absolute legends in the same year.

I spent parts of my early years in SA, always had a small piece of me devoted to the Spurs. Model franchise led by a model player. His 2003 finals was one of the best ever.

The difference being that Kobe was handsomely paid to be loyal while Duncan took paycuts for the team to remain a contender.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
And he asked the Lakers to trade him like ten years back. Had the Lakers and Chicago been able to agree on a deal then "loyal" Kobe would have been gone as was his wish.

Pretty sure the Lakers also had a deal lined up for him but Kobe vetoed it because they weren't one of the destinations he requested.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
It's really not going to hit me until the first game and he's not there. It'll be weird when I go to the AT&T Center and his picture isn't on the revolving roster out front. It'll probably make me emotional when I see in person his jersey after they retire it above me in the rafters. I've said it before, but I remember where I was when the Spurs won the draft and being dumbfounded. If you had told me back then that SA would be so successful I would've probably laughed. If you had told me the quiet big guys would one day actually get respect I would've called the loony bin.

Until all then I have a bunch of happy memories that fans from other teams would die for, Kobe fans reminding me that apparently his goodbye tour is still ongoing, and others trying to tell me that KD's decision was more important in this than the health of a 40 year old's knees ....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad