Tim Duncan

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Sounds like he's strongly leaning towards retirement... end of an era for the Spurs and the entire NBA if that proves to be the case. When I was younger I was a big Steve Nash fan, and pretty closely followed some of his mid-career playoff success at Nash's expense. What a player. Because HF is so Canadian-heavy, I'm sure there are a lot of members kinda in the same boat as me... rooting against the guy because he was Captain Canada's playoff nemesis, but later coming to appreciating how much of an all-time great he was.

I'm not totally sure of his current contract situation, but if memory serves, he had a player option and opted out. If he did sell himself to the highest bidder this season, after seeing the money going to guys like Mozgov, I can't even imagine how much money he would make.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Always loved Tim Duncan, probably my favourite player ever. Just got things done with his quiet demeanor.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
How many 90's players are left now, just Dirk and Garnett right?

Edit: nm, I see Vince Carter is still around. And Paul Pierce.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
One of the all-time greats. He wasn't flashy but he was so damn good in his prime. I think people will appreciate him and his career more when he's gone.

Selfishly, I want him to stick around for another season. It was rough watching him at times this past season but he can still contribute in limited minutes.

This would be such a Tim Duncan way to go out. Just quietly leaves while the basketball world is freaking out over Durant.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Have to think that KD's decision to join an already loaded Warriors team made the decision easier for Duncan.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Have to think that KD's decision to join an already loaded Warriors team made the decision easier for Duncan.

Man, the guy is 40 years old with bum knees. I don't think Durant's decision had anything to do with it and those jokes and theories that someone had a minute after these stories broke were old 2 minutes later.

Guess Duncan retiring without getting any respect for it being his own decision is just par for the course for his career.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

His numbers went down the toilet this year, you could see as the year went on despite resting and his team going 67-15, that he was aging every game more and more.

I'm happy he was able to get one last ring two years ago, man I was so happy when they ran over Miami.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Another testament to how great and humble he was is that there is only admiration for him and the Spurs despite their success. Typically people find reasons to hate dynasties.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Man, the guy is 40 years old with bum knees. I don't think Durant's decision had anything to do with it and those jokes and theories that someone had a minute after these stories broke were old 2 minutes later.

Guess Duncan retiring without getting any respect for it being his own decision is just par for the course for his career.

Agreed, perhaps I should have wrote that Durant's decision just makes Duncan's decision easier regardless. Dunno how anyone can disagree with that, it at the very least wouldn't give Tim any extra motivation to come back :dunno:

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
His numbers went down the toilet this year, you could see as the year went on despite resting and his team going 67-15, that he was aging every game more and more.

I'm happy he was able to get one last ring two years ago, man I was so happy when they ran over Miami.

Yep, and why go through the grind once again in an inevitable losing cause in the conference finals at most? Duncan no longer has anything to add to his legacy at this point, he is probably the most respected and admired player of his generation.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Manu might not be back. Interesting. They'll be okay for now but I do think the decline is near for them. Give it 2 or 3 years. Not sure Duncan is a loss really though. His knees are shot and he wasn't even noticeable this spring.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Remember when the Admiral handed the torch off to him. I'm not a Spurs fan whatsoever but it's always sad to see someone from your youth's career wind down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad