Signing(s): Tigers sign Jordan Zimmermann - 5 years/110 M

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Yep, could have signed Price instead of signing Happ and Estrada and the differences in total salary would have been minimal. Jays would have probably had average crowds of 40,000 this upcoming season with Price and a winning team and high tv ratings easily allowing them to make a profit...and that would be with a .75 dollar and a $160 million payroll.

Instead, Rogers went garage sale shopping for #4/#5 pitchers and will, in all probability be a .500 team. This means they will lose some goodwill with the fans and the crowds will drop in the second half of the season lowering their overall season average attendance....unless by some chance these pitchers actually produce above their peripherals.

After signing Estrada and Happ the Jays are still significantly short on Price's annual value, which means they would have had to cut Dickey loose. Essentially you are arguing that the Jays should have gone into the season with a rotation of Price, Stroman, Hutch, Chavez, and Sanchez and then cut loose someone like Encarnation for mostly nothing because they still wouldn't be at the proper payroll. This of course assumes Rogers was willing to pay 200+ million on a single player. Which is ridiculous in its own right.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
After signing Estrada and Happ the Jays are still significantly short on Price's annual value, which means they would have had to cut Dickey loose. Essentially you are arguing that the Jays should have gone into the season with a rotation of Price, Stroman, Hutch, Chavez, and Sanchez and then cut loose someone like Encarnation for mostly nothing because they still wouldn't be at the proper payroll. This of course assumes Rogers was willing to pay 200+ million on a single player. Which is ridiculous in its own right.

I thin kits more-so that it'd be nice if Rogers spent their multi-multi billions on the team for once for the sake of winning. Give Price his money and keep the core intact, sure you'll go over the tax but who cares, just think about the early 90s where the old ownership didn't care about the cost of players, they sacrificed for the sake of winning.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
I thin kits more-so that it'd be nice if Rogers spent their multi-multi billions on the team for once for the sake of winning. Give Price his money and keep the core intact, sure you'll go over the tax but who cares, just think about the early 90s where the old ownership didn't care about the cost of players, they sacrificed for the sake of winning.

You also have to take surplus value into account. 217mil for Price may get you 2-3, maybe 4 good years. The rest is just obscene overpayment for a guy who would be entering in decline. Not to mention, he's not a decent postseason pitcher.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Can you produce some lottery numbers for the upcoming 649?

Also, damn, I never knew people were this hellbent on resigning Price. Where were all of those "LOL **** PRICE, BLOWING ALL DESE CRITICAL GAMES!" comments? Also, if you seriously think 217mil is good value for this guy, then I really don't know what to tell you. Giving him the contract means the pitching and bullpen depth will be total ****. Price is not God.

The bullpen and the starting pitching wouldn't be poop as you put it if the payroll was $160 million or so as it should be. Sign one of Estrada/Happ, not both and look at another option for #5. Hutch could have been #5/#6 option while Sanchez could have very well had some starts as well. There still would have been some money to add to the bullpen if Rogers was willing to open their wallets. Instead, they continue to be tight-fisted and have set up the team with a mediocre starting rotation. They also need to upgrade the bullpen with the loss of Hendriks, especially considering how poorly they played in the post season.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

$160 million with Price and a choice between one of Happ/Estrada and some bulllpen upgrades in 2016. $200 million!!?? Where are you getting that number

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
You also have to take surplus value into account. 217mil for Price may get you 2-3, maybe 4 good years. The rest is just obscene overpayment for a guy who would be entering in decline. Not to mention, he's not a decent postseason pitcher.

Totally worth it to have a final few poor years to make the playoffs and win the World Series. By the way, I think Price can have 3-4 excellent years and 1 or 2 good years. I think the Jays may be entering the JP Ricciardi era version 2.0.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Totally worth it to have a final few poor years to make the playoffs and win the World Series. By the way, I think Price can have 3-4 excellent years and 1 or 2 good years. I think the Jays may be entering the JP Ricciardi era version 2.0.

Agreed. Deal may look awful down the road, but the team is built to win right-now, especially with Joey Bats & Edwin getting older, not to mention free agency. Martin and Tulo aren't getting any younger either.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank

You say that now, but when it comes to the rebuild/retool, that 31mil becomes a hindrance when no one wants to take on that albatross or when you handcuff yourself from making financial decisions because that contract prevents you from doing what you wanted to do (very important considering this is an internal budget team, and not a limitless team).

This team is nowhere near the Ricciardi mess. Giving out overpaid contracts was this man's niche.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
$160 million with Price and a choice between one of Happ/Estrada and some bulllpen upgrades in 2016. $200 million!!?? Where are you getting that number

Well Price signed for over 200 million with Boston, I can't see him signing for less anywhere else. No way Rogers was going to commit 200 million to a single player.

Jays already have 98 million committed to next year's roster with 9 arbitration cases (surely some will be non-tendered) including Donaldson who will be getting a lot of money and a bunch of guys like Goins, Pillar, Pompey, etc who need to be re-signed and are pre-arbitration. Last year's payroll was about 135 million and Rogers is wanting to trim that for this season.

If they ponied up for Price that is still 6 million more than what they paid for Estrada/Happ.They had also picked up Dickey's option. Given that the payroll is basically set as it is, in order to afford Price's contract they would have had to go without Estrada, Happ, and Dickey just to fit one player in the lineup. Now having done that would give them an ace and an additional 5 million to spend, but the team would be worse off because of it because their rotation would consist of Price, Stroman, and a bunch of scrubs who should be in the bullpen or minors.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
He's been trending down for a while. He took the money he knew he could get. At this point, he's just waiting for that dead guy's ligament in his arm to snap again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad