Post-Game Talk: Tiereny in Ottawa...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I would take Babcock as well, but Torts or Julien are probably even more strict defensively.

This team needs that even if they don't want it. We're letting the children run the day care here and then acting surprised that it's become a zoo.

Tippett bailed out on any structure like by the first December of his tenure and just opted to ride the "play McDavid and Draisaitl to death and bank on the goalie to make big stops" formula which can work for stretches but undermines a proper team concept in the long run.

Does Torts even want it? What has he got left to prove? Last I heard he was happy with his lot. He's sure set in life. Part of problem with Tippett too is he had to be persuaded to be here. These guys aren't hungry.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Does Torts even want it? What has he got left to prove? Last I heard he was happy with his lot. He's sure set in life. Part of problem with Tippett too is he had to be persuaded to be here. These guys aren't hungry.

I'd make an offer, if not him then Julien.

These guys have never been properly coached, McLellan and Tippett are B-tier coaches who surrendered on structure to do the whole "lets just let McDavid + Draisaitl + goalie win us games" formula.

Hitchcock was at one time an elite level coach who probably would have been a good fit, but at the stage he was hired at, he was clearly in his "cuddly grandpa" phase and not really willing to press too hard (probably would have a stroke if he did and he knew it). He also had the crappiest roster (hi Brandon Manning and Spooner) to work with.

A soft hand just doesn't work with this group.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
We might sneak in due to the two big guns but with every loss that gets further and further away. If the Oilers go on another losing streak Holland should just sell off what he has.

Even if they make the playoffs though we saw it last year 5 on 5 they can't do much. The Jets over powered them last playoffs, granted 3 of the 4 went to OT but you aren't going to do much when your 5 on 5 is so poor.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Vegas is going to run away with the division easily, it'll be between them and the Avs for top spot in the West and I would be surprised if that wasn't the Conference Finals.

Since I have the NHL package I frequently watch other games and am always impressed by how much harder other teams work compared to ours. This team doesn't have a good work ethic, even early on. Their strategy was "Wait for a few power plays then style on them." Unfortunately I think a lot of those habits settled in as the team is never ready and routinely gets outworked. And of course the goaltending...

I can't help but look at a team like Vegas. Yes I know they haven't won the big prize yet but they are always looking to improve the team and don't let silly things like loyalty or whatever get in the way. They want to win and they'll do anything to do it. A rube like Kassian would've been jettisoned (or might actually play the way he can) on a team like Vegas, and they certainly wouldn't have handed him the fat contract we gave him.

There really is just so much wrong with this team from the top on down. I know they lost yesterday but it sure feels like Detroit, Kenny's old haunt, will be better sooner rather than later, especially since Yzerman has already basically fixed most of Holland's errors.

You mean this org is bad at what it does?

You're describing water being wet. heh

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Basically all of our prospects are familiar and comfortable with woodcroft. Why should we bring a random coach who knows nothing about them?

He is basically our Nick Nurse for bball fans.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Basically all of our prospects are familiar and comfortable with woodcroft. Why should we bring a random coach who knows nothing about them?

He is basically our Nick Nurse for bball fans.

That's a pretty lofty comparison considering how his first year went. But his first was also the only year with Kawhi. I'm all for giving it a shot though. To me he's the first option particularly if there had been a mid-season change (which appears to be doubtful now).

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Used to be a Tippett fan but he's got to go. I can just imagine the other players sitting there watching McDrai & Nurse play 2 minute shifts and thinking why do we bother even trying. You guys f***ing score since you play all the time.
Bingo. I've been on teams like this where there were a couple of top scorers that were always put in the key positions despite their play and results. The rest of the team basically, and maybe subconsciously, just gave up and felt they had no value.
I see this with the Oilers. They aren't a "team". A big part of that is Tippett and how he handles the ice time. Go look at the ice time from all the games last night. No other successful team has the top to bottom gap like the Oilers do.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Other than winning draft lotteries there's very little this org does well.

Selling false hope is another strength of theirs.

Oh well, Its February now, 2mths of winter left. Hockey functions now as entertainment just to get us through winters. If the Oil don't get in I think I'm turning playoffs off. we'll see how bored I am come springtime. Increasingly I'm finding Oilers games just annoying.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oh well, Its February now, 2mths of winter left. Hockey functions now as entertainment just to get us through winters. If the Oil don't get in I think I'm turning playoffs off. we'll see how bored I am come springtime. Increasingly I'm finding Oilers games just annoying.
Even if this org squeaks into the playoffs, a date with the Avalanche or Knights would be very short-lived. Even the Kings I think would make short work of them.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I mean recent history would agree with you. However with an attitude like this I have to wonder why you bother being a fan at all?
I'll still cheer for them to go all the way, but it's hard to be hopeful when the goaltending and coaching continue to hurt them game after game and nothing has been done about either. I'd be happy to be wrong.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I'll still cheer for them to go all the way, but it's hard to be hopeful when the goaltending and coaching continue to hurt them game after game and nothing has been done about either. I'd be happy to be wrong.
Lol hate to say it but I guess I kind of agree. Maybe I need to look at myself haha if we don’t shore up goaltending I don’t see us making a splash in the playoffs either.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Lol hate to say it but I guess I kind of agree. Maybe I need to look at myself haha if we don’t shore up goaltending I don’t see us making a splash in the playoffs either.
Goaltending is the hardest position to upgrade mid-season, and with everyone in the league knowing we need it, why would anyone help us without trying to screw us over? Holland had 2 1/2 years to find a long-term solution to goaltending and instead he sat on his hands. I said as much when Smith was re-signed, that going with the same duo was a massive mistake.

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
Thanks. I guess I should have phrased that differently. Would/will you still be an Oilers fan if we have no Finns on our team? Always find it interesting with the non local fans if they stay attached to a team once what attracted them to the team is no longer there.
Jari Kurri made a lot of Finnish kids lifelong Oilers fans...

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Well its desperation isn't it. But the reality is that Kane, even a Kane that hasn't played in several months, is still a better option than half our topsix. Tipps and the club need help now, and our topsix have needed help for several months. We're in the middle of a playoff race thanks to lousy goaltending. Thus necessitating shifts that maybe less than ideal.
Anyone should be better than a dog tired Drai or McDavid. Nurse at 2:36 or some stupid shit.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Didn't watch the presser after the game. Did any of the media ask Tippett what the f*** he was doing in overtime?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Even if they make the playoffs though we saw it last year 5 on 5 they can't do much. The Jets over powered them last playoffs, granted 3 of the 4 went to OT but you aren't going to do much when your 5 on 5 is so poor.

Jets over trapped them in the playoffs, didn't overpower.

A team that traps, has some bigger d-men with reach, and a decent goalie will beat the Oilers in a 7 game series 9/10 times. Scoring aptitude of said team doesn't even really matter.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Didn't watch the presser after the game. Did any of the media ask Tippett what the f*** he was doing in overtime?

Weird thing is he finally managed OT really well in the Vancouver and Nashville games to good results. Then went back to the well against Ottawa for some reason.

Playing McDavid and Drai together in OT was becoming extremely ineffective for a variety of reasons. Can't recall who we were playing in the last OT game before the most recent batch, but there was one where the lazy blind passes to nowhere between the two of them were at an all time high. Think they pissed up two breakaways against on blind passes in the same shift if I remember correctly.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Bingo. I've been on teams like this where there were a couple of top scorers that were always put in the key positions despite their play and results. The rest of the team basically, and maybe subconsciously, just gave up and felt they had no value.
I see this with the Oilers. They aren't a "team". A big part of that is Tippett and how he handles the ice time. Go look at the ice time from all the games last night. No other successful team has the top to bottom gap like the Oilers do.
The rest of the team was basically "told " they have no value by the media, the fans, and the amount of ice time they receive.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
It's never too late to dump a bad coach.
Ken Holland says challenge accepted. To be fair I wanted Tippett and thought we could defend the absolute hell outta teams and score on 2 breakaways like Arizona/Phoenix, but he's never coached us that way and seems to have given up on trying at all.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

meh, they almost scored 5 times. Nuge and Kane also got toi. If they score in the first prolonged shift its genius and outstretching what Ottawa could put out against it. Thing is it doesnt' really matter at that point. Murray is winning the shootout pretty much guaranteed. Nobody was beating him last night. So you go for broke in OT with the guys that get you the highest probability of scoring. Didn't it work the last 2 times we did it.

I mean I can see both ways but some of our discussions are often after the fact here. The reality is that not finding a way to beat Ottawa in regulation time is dismal to start with. Surprised nobody mentioned that McDrai and Nurse ended the game as well. So they were out a shitload late in game.

Tippett just doesn't care too much at this point I suspect. Get a goalie and maybe he and the team will think they can go on a run.

Last edited:

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Not to make excuses but did anyone notice how bad the ice was last tonight ?

Sure felt like the puck was bouncing everywhere especially on the Oilers.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
What a dumb take...how is it humanly possible to have so many bad takes?

He is on an unprecedented roll lately, even by his low standards.

I'm really starting to wonder if he's pulling a Wyshinski and deliberately barfing out dumbass takes so that people get riled up and get him the clicks/comments/retweets he needs to keep the bosses happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad