News Article: "ticket sales have skyrocketed since the team traded for Phil Kessel"

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Is the East not growing faster?

Don’t think so at the moment. Glendale has housing projects currently going all over in previously empty lots. Northwest Peoria and Surprise are pushing out to the 303. Avondale is also filling in like Glendale. Nike is building a factory is going into Goodyear. Microsoft is building their data farm and housing campus out in Buckeye.

I can presume the east is also growing. Just not as fast.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What you’ve described sounds exactly like the Far East side. Is there someplace we can find the stars on current growth? South Chandler is growing like crazy. East Mesa seems to be too. Gilbert won’t have an unused square inch before long. Hell, even queen creek seems to be growing again.

Reactions: CC96

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I work just west of the 303 in Surprise. There are large developments around the 3o3 and 30 minutes west of it. It's amazing to see all the homes going up. The construction on the Northern parkway that will connect the 303 to the 101 at the mid point is continuing and there are a zillion developments around that. Not sure who is paying those outrageous prices but obviously lots are. The prices in north Peoria are even higher. Surprise, Goodyear and Buckeye are all growing at enormous rates. I don't know if the economy can sustain the housing prices. It sure feels a lot like 2008. I don't want to go through that again. That's why I'm still sticking with my small house payment.

Reactions: _Del_

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
The growth of the Buckeye/Verrado area has put a strain on a lot of the business/franchises that are established in Goodyear. Those businesses are just killing it because of them having to come into Goodyear, and staying in Goodyear too since Buckeye is a little out there.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Is the East not growing faster?
The outskirts on both sides are growing (North and East too), I doubt either one is growing faster than the other, at least not enough to matter.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I work just west of the 303 in Surprise. There are large developments around the 3o3 and 30 minutes west of it. It's amazing to see all the homes going up. The construction on the Northern parkway that will connect the 303 to the 101 at the mid point is continuing and there are a zillion developments around that. Not sure who is paying those outrageous prices but obviously lots are. The prices in north Peoria are even higher. Surprise, Goodyear and Buckeye are all growing at enormous rates. I don't know if the economy can sustain the housing prices. It sure feels a lot like 2008. I don't want to go through that again. That's why I'm still sticking with my small house payment.
If you work in the boonies I can see the attraction but how the f*** people willing sign up for hour long commutes to work is beyond me. I guess the allure of a super nice house for cheap is always there but man, all that commuting is time you can't get back!!

Edit: Oh and before anyone starts getting their East/West side feathers ruffled, I'm talking about boonies in all directions. I don't care if it's Anthem, Goodyear or Queen Creek. All nice areas in their own right but man, the drive, how the f*** do people handle the drive?!?! I just assume there's a special situation like they work from home, they're retired or maybe just really, really, REALLY value having a newly built house. :dunno:

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Not with the way the west is growing out currently.

Are we pretending Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek, Ahwatukee etc.. are all not growing as well? There is no way 19th and McDowell is anywhere near the 'center' of the metro area. Not by population, and certainly not by income.

The team studied this and came to the conclusion that the original Tempe Town Lake spot was perfect. The proposed tribal location is a mile north, if that.

If you work in the boonies I can see the attraction but how the **** people willing sign up for hour long commutes to work is beyond me. I guess the allure of a super nice house for cheap is always there but man, all that commuting is time you can't get back!!

People have too much garbage and they don't factor in commute times into the cost to their personal lives or their wallets. That's how you get extreme sprawl.

Reactions: CC96

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Are we pretending Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek, Ahwatukee etc.. are all not growing as well? There is no way 19th and McDowell is anywhere near the 'center' of the metro area. Not by population, and certainly not by income.

The team studied this and came to the conclusion that the original Tempe Town Lake spot was perfect. The proposed tribal location is a mile north, if that.

Not at all..... but OTOH.... some people seem to think the only thing growing in the west valley are the land fills. Try paying attention.

The team actually concluded they needed to chase only the fattest wallets which (as shocking as this may come to you) don't compromise the largest chunk of the public sector. It's only been in recent years where they've tried marketing to the lower income classes with various packages.

What's "perfect" about the area around Tempe Town Lake is the infrastructure of the Loop 101 and 202 being nearby. I don't have a problem with an arena being built there, or anywhere for that matter.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
What's "perfect" about the area around Tempe Town Lake is the infrastructure of the Loop 101 and 202 being nearby.
That's definitely part of it but what's more perfect is it's relatively central location to ALL OF THE VALLEY, not just one particular side of it. Like I said before, putting it in East Mesa would be just as problematic as the location now. The arena should be centrally located as much as possible while also having the supported infrastructure as you mentioned.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If you work in the boonies I can see the attraction but how the **** people willing sign up for hour long commutes to work is beyond me. I guess the allure of a super nice house for cheap is always there but man, all that commuting is time you can't get back!!

Edit: Oh and before anyone starts getting their East/West side feathers ruffled, I'm talking about boonies in all directions. I don't care if it's Anthem, Goodyear or Queen Creek. All nice areas in their own right but man, the drive, how the **** do people handle the drive?!?! I just assume there's a special situation like they work from home, they're retired or maybe just really, really, REALLY value having a newly built house. :dunno:

I live in Glendale, right by Westgate so it's not that far to me. I drive about 25 minutes. Once the Northern parkway is done it will be a little faster. I hate driving though, especially in traffic. That's why I never go to the east valley and have never taken a job there and Scottsdale sucks the most for traffic in the valley. The 303 makes everything way out west closer. You can go from the 303 and Bell to the I17 in 15 minutes. It's quiet out there and everything is new, just like places in the East Valley. People are still moving out there in droves but it's not cheaper like it used to be. There are plenty of new developments near Westgate and throughout Glendale/Peoria/Phoenix. Some people just want to live out there I guess. $300k to $500+ with a huge HOA and long drive to work? No thanks.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I worked for Blockbuster right before they went bankrupt. They came out with a study that said people preferred brick and mortar stores over mail and kiosks because people like to hold the movie case, grab some snacks and maybe see their friends and neighbors at the store. Studies can be made to support the narrative of the people commissioning them.

People have too much garbage and they don't factor in commute times into the cost to their personal lives or their wallets. That's how you get extreme sprawl.

They also don't factor in things like how far they have to walk to their cars and how much time it takes just to get onto the freeway. Getting too and from a Cardinals game used to be horrible when they played at Sun Devil stadium. Not much better for Dbacks/Suns.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004

Edit: Oh and before anyone starts getting their East/West side feathers ruffled, I'm talking about boonies in all directions. I don't care if it's Anthem, Goodyear or Queen Creek. All nice areas in their own right but man, the drive, how the **** do people handle the drive?!?! I just assume there's a special situation like they work from home, they're retired or maybe just really, really, REALLY value having a newly built house. :dunno:
Audible.com

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I didn't know there was so much wealth in the South East. Seems like the 101/202 area would be ideal for fans in the north, south, and east, but not so much for the west (of course).

1ll2.gif

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I didn't know there was so much wealth in the South East. Seems like the 101/202 area would be ideal for fans in the north, south, and east, but not so much for the west (of course).

1ll2.gif

Average income can be heavily weighted by population density (or lack there of)

rt

May 13, 2004

1ll2.gif
That’s actually kind of a horse shit graphic. They should have kept counting by 20s. Why is the last tier 105 range instead of 20?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Average income can be heavily weighted by population density (or lack there of)
Not to mention a lot of Phoenix area residents don't have an AZ income so don't make the graph. And that's in plenty of neighborhoods. I know in mine there are a lot of rich snowbirds who go to hockey games that would not be included.

rt

May 13, 2004
Not to mention a lot of Phoenix area residents don't have an AZ income so don't make the graph. And that's in plenty of neighborhoods. I know in mine there are a lot of rich snowbirds who go to hockey games that would not be included.
Would guess that Chandler and Scottsdale have higher per capita snowbird rates.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Would guess that Chandler and Scottsdale have higher per capita snowbird rates.
That's certainly possible but it might not change the average income in those places like it might in Goodyear as an example. Mesa has plenty as well.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
What you’ve described sounds exactly like the Far East side. Is there someplace we can find the stars on current growth? South Chandler is growing like crazy. East Mesa seems to be too. Gilbert won’t have an unused square inch before long. Hell, even queen creek seems to be growing again.

Fastest growth in the Valley is Peoria right now, statistically speaking - it was in the Republic a few months ago.

And with that, I'm out of this thread, because MAN am I getting sick of these east vs. west debates.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Fastest growth in the Valley is Peoria right now, statistically speaking - it was in the Republic a few months ago.

And with that, I'm out of this thread, because MAN am I getting sick of these east vs. west debates.
Buckeye by percentage and Phoenix by numbers are fastest growing in AZ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad