Ticket delivery - Robert Bortuzzo

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
So I mentioned last week, I got a call from the Penguins, I'd been selected to have our tickets delivered by a player this year.

Yesterday afternoon, we got to meet Robert Bortuzzo.

Fantastic experience. Totally down to earth and genuine guy. Attaching a couple pictures of him with my kids.

There are also some of them on the Ticket delivery gallery on the website, and a short clip of him sitting in our living room.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/gallery.htm?id=47103&navid=DL|PIT|home

And a short clip with them in one of the videos.

http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=630682&catid=912

<iframe src="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed?playlist=630682&site=penguins" frameborder="0" width="640" height="395"></iframe>

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Ha! You totally outed yourself :)

Seriously though, that's awesome. Cute kids. Must have been a great experience for them (and you, too)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Thanks for sharing, it had to be a great experience. Especially for the kids.

My first thought looking at those pics was Bortuzzo saying to the Pens 'I have to carry a stick there as a prop? Really?'

Another cool thing to me, and do not take this in the wrong way, it wasn't meant as such. But your home makes the point that most season ticket holders are not 'suits' as some accuse us of being far too often, but average Joes who make hard spending choices to support our team and go to games. I knew that watching everyone around me, and imagine it is the case throughout the NHL. The vast majority of fans are very middle class, not rich elitests.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
How cool. I bet your kids were thrilled. A neat experience for them.

johnniewalker

Dec 14, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
photo-1tixdelivery_slide.jpg

If you're Sid, you have to be thinking "How did I end up in this position??"

Michael8771*

He's not even trying to come out and cut down the angle or challenge the kid, he's too far back in the net. This kid doesn't need a ''free pass'', geez!:shakehead

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Sounds a lot like me.:)

Yeah, most of the players seem to be pretty good people, unlike entitled and spoiled athletes from other sports.

We had Bortuzzo here in Kitchener for a while. Great kid. Salt of the earth type who is genuinely nice. But most hockey players are.

As for the Crosby photo below... I guess Fleury has been giving lessons :sarcasm:

(I kid Pens' fans, I kid.)

Michael8771*

We had Bortuzzo here in Kitchener for a while. Great kid. Salt of the earth type who is genuinely nice. But most hockey players are.

As for the Crosby photo below... I guess Fleury has been giving lessons :sarcasm:

I hear you.;)

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Thanks for sharing, it had to be a great experience. Especially for the kids.

My first thought looking at those pics was Bortuzzo saying to the Pens 'I have to carry a stick there as a prop? Really?'

That's actually my LHS stick, so poor Bortz had to play on his backhand the whole time.

Another cool thing to me, and do not take this in the wrong way, it wasn't meant as such. But your home makes the point that most season ticket holders are not 'suits' as some accuse us of being far too often, but average Joes who make hard spending choices to support our team and go to games. I knew that watching everyone around me, and imagine it is the case throughout the NHL. The vast majority of fans are very middle class, not rich elitests.

I understand exactly what you're saying.

Some of the comments in the Facebook/Twitter releases of the stories were pretty funny, regarding "of course Crosby is going to the rich houses" or "of course they are visiting a white family".

As you said, I make sacrifices to maintain the tickets. And sometimes I wonder, exactly for what. With two young kids in activities, a wife who works strictly weekends so she can be home to get them to/from school, I make a handful of games anymore. The people who want to complain will find a reason to complain - hell, I do it too, including this past few weeks in another thread here. But I'll never feel embarrassed for 1) choosing to spend some (most?) of my disposable income this way and 2) buying seasons tickets in 2003 when nobody else wanted to buy them.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Pretty cool, Bort always struck me as being a nice guy off the ice.

That's awesome. Bort does look like a cool guy to hang with!

How cool. I bet your kids were thrilled. A neat experience for them.

As far as Bortuzzo, I bolded above the word I used about 10 times with others yesterday - genuine

After about 2 minutes, it was like my wife and I, the camera and PR person were not there.

He asked the kids about school. Asked my son about his hockey team. When my daughter said she didn't play hockey, she danced, he asked her about that.

He also said "Eh?" alot...which cracked up my wife, and I caught myself saying it the rest of the night. Canadian is contagious!

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012

I would think it would be a welcome change from having to autograph every piece of memorabilia owned by the STH and fifty of his closest friends. They always seem to have a ton of stuff for the guys to sign when they deliver tickets.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I would think it would be a welcome change from having to autograph every piece of memorabilia owned by the STH and fifty of his closest friends. They always seem to have a ton of stuff for the guys to sign when they deliver tickets.

When we originally got the call, two of the first things we were told were:

1) Immediate family only please. No neighborhood block parties. No youth hockey teams. etc

2) Try to limit the items to get signed to about five. It is supposed to be about the interaction between you and the player, not getting items signed

We had the 4 of us, and my younger sister there.

We probably had about 10 items to sign. I got zero for me...I'm not an autograph person. Two of the items (tshirts) I purposely got done for family friends who have special needs kids that do fundraising events every year. I usually donate a pair of tickets, figured this would be some cool to include in the package this year.

Beyond that, a few more t shirts, a flag, 2 pucks, my son's hat and old stick.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
That's awesome. Bort seems like a good guy off the ice. I've listened to a few of his radio shows with Colin Dunlap on 93.7 and Bort just seems laid back.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
You probably can't go wrong with any NHLer. By far the best human beings amongst professional athletes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad