News Article: THW: Red Wings’ Nedeljkovic Is the Top Goaltender in Detroit

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yet we got rid of Mrazek for a bag of peanuts.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Howard had conditioning issues going back to his college days. And I also remember reading somewhere that Wallstedt also wasn't in great shape at the end of the season. Maybe it gave some of the Wings brass PTSD flashbacks and that's why they went with the beanpole Cossa?

Volleyball player is kind of the most idealistic body for a goaltenders.

Long and thin arms and legs. Small muscles which don't burn much energy for a tall human being. And just be damn flexible. Pekka Rinne was kind of that. Hope Cossa will be too.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I really wish the other thread would have just been locked instead of merged. We don't need to rehash Howard's career and whether he was or was not a decent goalie.

Keep the focus on Ned's success.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Is it possible to bet on Ned scoring a goal this year? Wonder how much you'd win.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I was so excited about this trade its really great times in net in Detroit and I can't remember ever being able to say that. We've always had serviceable tending but never elite. Now we got a couple of roles at the dice for elite tending.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I was so excited about this trade its really great times in net in Detroit and I can't remember ever being able to say that. We've always had serviceable tending but never elite. Now we got a couple of roles at the dice for elite tending.

Who was that Czech guy we had?

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
you mean the guy in like the last year of his career that got beat out by Osgood the next season?

No I think he's talking about the guy that took over for Osgood and set a then record for most shutouts in the playoffs, including back-to-back shutouts in the western conference finals after trailing in the series 2-3 en route to a Stanley Cup.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Is it possible to bet on Ned scoring a goal this year? Wonder how much you'd win.

Oh, I kinda like that bet. He's definitely the kind of goalie that's going to be eyeing his chance. Hopefully a situation comes up where the Wings have a 2 goal lead and he can take a strike. I doubt he'd risk it at one goal.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

CalumetHockeyTown

Aug 2, 2021
What part of “Keep the focus on Ned’s success” gives you the impression that I am not happy with our goaltending situation right now?
What part of "refreshing to see" don't you understand? As George Jones sang "Choices", in other words if you don't like topic you have choice to scroll on by, right?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
What part of "refreshing to see" don't you understand? As George Jones sang "Choices", in other words if you don't like topic you have choice to scroll on by, right?

I’m in the original thread. That I was enjoyable to follow. And you felt the need to create a second thread, which you also turned into a place to shit on Jimmy Howard on a whim. And I didn’t want the good thread to be combined with your negative thread. But alas, they were merged and now you’ve knocked the good thread off the celebration of how good Nedeljkovic has been for us because you want to bitch in my general direction.

CalumetHockeyTown

Aug 2, 2021
I’m in the original thread. That I was enjoyable to follow. And you felt the need to create a second thread, which you also turned into a place to shit on Jimmy Howard on a whim. And I didn’t want the good thread to be combined with your negative thread. But alas, they were merged and now you’ve knocked the good thread off the celebration of how good Nedeljkovic has been for us because you want to bitch in my general direction.
My thread stated FACTS. Those who jumped on, I have no control over. And oh BTW if he lived up to his ridiculous contract there'd be no reason to shit on anything. Have a nice day.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
No I think he's talking about the guy that took over for Osgood and set a then record for most shutouts in the playoffs, including back-to-back shutouts in the western conference finals after trailing in the series 2-3 en route to a Stanley Cup.

The 37 year old rental that played in front of a hall of fame roster including a top 5 D all time and stayed with the team for one year until he came in and out and lost the job to Osgood. That is the elite goalie that I am supposed to reserve my excitement over because having an elite goalie for the wings has 'already been done'? Got it :eyeroll:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The 37 year old rental that played in front of a hall of fame roster including a top 5 D all time and stayed with the team for one year until he came in and out and lost the job to Osgood. That is the elite goalie that I am supposed to reserve my excitement over because having an elite goalie for the wings has 'already been done'? Got it :eyeroll:

the "37 year old rental" that won the Vezina the previous year(and 6 of the past 8 years)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
the "37 year old rental" that won the Vezina the previous year(and 6 of the past 8 years)

and played that way for one f***ing year. But yeah check the box the red wings fan base has had an elite goaltender. 37 year old Hasek for one season behind a hall of fame roster. No reason for us to wonder what its like to have a franchise goalie, already been done.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
and played that way for one f***ing year. But yeah check the box the red wings fan base has had an elite goaltender. 37 year old Hasek for one season behind a hall of fame roster. No reason for us to wonder what its like to have a franchise goalie, already been done.

You're forgetting that he was realgud in 2007 when Detroit got to the conference finals and only lost because half of the damn team was injured.

Reactions: Sentinel

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I feel like I am being taken out of context. When I say the wings have not had an elite franchise goalie in my lifetime. I think Hanlon was in net when I started watching. I feel like I am right. If you think Hasek on the tail end of his career and playing himself in and out of net checks the box as the wings having had a franchise elite goalie then I am not going to stop you but I am going to hold my opinion.

Question if Hasek was our franchise elite goaltender why is his jersey not retired?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I feel like I am being taken out of context. When I say the wings have not had an elite franchise goalie in my lifetime. I think Hanlon was in net when I started watching. I feel like I am right. If you think Hasek on the tail end of his career and playing himself in and out of net checks the box as the wings having had a franchise elite goalie then I am not going to stop you but I am going to hold my opinion.

Question if Hasek was our franchise elite goaltender why is his jersey not retired?

to answer a silly question with another one I guess Fedorov wasn't an elite franchise Center then either huh?

Reactions: Sentinel

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Nedeljkovic, though, m I rite?

Absolutely thrilled with
Ned put-em-to-bed eljkovich. Not only has he been amazing, he plays an entertaining play the puck style. Big bonus points for his angles not making me want to pull my hair out like Mrazek who was also fun to watch, but could be infuriating.

It feels so good to have a proactive GM who addresses problems and weaknesses with a vision for the present, and the future. Please don’t take this as a dig or discussion on Holland, just saying I could not be happier with Yzerman as the man in charge. The Wings are going places and I am enjoying the ride.

Reactions: Bench

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Are we really using Hasek in 2002 as an example of recent goaltending?

That was 20 years ago, people! The last time we had "elite" goaltending was Osgood in 2008/2009, which was 12 years ago. And before that it was Hasek in 2002, and before that it was what, Sawchuk? Hanlon? LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad