News Article: THW: Red Wings’ Nedeljkovic Is the Top Goaltender in Detroit

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
https://thehockeywriters.com/red-wings-goaltending-nedeljkovic-top-option/

Excerpts:

"Through his last five starts, spanning from Nov. 6 to Nov. 20, Nedeljkovic has made 147 stops on 160 shots, leading him to a save-percentage (SV%) of .919. Through 12 games total this season, he has a .914 SV% to go along with a 4-3-3 record and a 2.83 goals-against average (GAA). Among NHL goalies to play at least 10 games this season, he ranks 17th in terms of SV%. In fact, if you subtract the opening game of the season where he yielded seven goals on 48 shots to the Tampa Bay Lightning – a bizarre game that had everything except stellar goaltending on both sides – his season SV% sits at .923. It’s also worth noting that since that opening night catastrophe, he has only posted a SV% lower than .900 once.

Through his last five starts, spanning from Nov. 4 to Nov. 18, Greiss has made 148 stops on 165 shots, giving him a SV% of .897. Through 10 games, he has a .901 SV%, a 4-6 record and a 3.41 GAA. Again, among NHL goalies to play at least 10 games, he ranks 26th in terms of SV%. Using the same benchmark as Nedeljkovic, Greiss has posted a SV% lower than .900 three times just in his last five games. After stopping 62 of 64 shots through his first two starts of the season, he has posted a SV% higher than .906 just three times in eight games.

When Greiss is playing well, his technique allows him to swallow up shots, and if a rebound pops out, it often requires minimal movement for him to adjust to the second shot. He has made his fair share of spectacular saves this season, and many of them are a direct result of him leaving himself in a good spot to make the second save.

When Nedeljkovic is playing well, he’s a one-man show in the Red Wings’ defensive end. Whether it’s playing the puck like he’s Marty Turco circa 2004, or making sprawling saves where he gets just enough of the puck to knock it away, it is genuinely exciting to watch him play the position. It’s his eagerness to play the puck, however that really sets him apart from Greiss. Goalies that play the puck help spring their team on offense, and they take some of the pressure off of their defensemen in terms of playing the puck behind the goal line. Hockey is a game of constant motion, and goalies like Nedeljkovic speed the game up instead of slowing it down.

This isn’t to say that one style is better than the other – that is strictly a matter of preference. Part of the “excitement” that comes with watching Nedeljkovic play is the looming threat that he might leave himself out of position on the next shot. On the other hand, if Greiss’s technique fails him, he isn’t nearly as good at scrambling as Nedeljkovic is, and that often leads to a bad game turning into a terrible one.

What cannot be denied, however, is that as great of a fit as Greiss was for last season’s Red Wings team and their low-event style, this season’s team seems to have adopted a more up-tempo style, which plays right into Nedeljkovic’s style. His teammates feed off of saves like the one above, and his puck-handling abilities keep his team in motion. Those two things feed into the team’s identity, and when Nedeljkovic’s teammates know that they’ve got a goalie in the crease that has a ton of swagger, that helps breed confidence throughout the rest of the lineup. "

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
How important are wins to a goalie's Calder candidacy?
Last 3 goalies to win:

Steve Mason
33-20-7 2.26 GAA .916 SV%

Andrew Raycroft
29-18-9 2.05 GAA .926 SV%

Nabokov
32-21-7 2.19 GAA .915 SV%

Looks to me like a goalie needs to be the primary starter and have a winning record. I don't think splitting starts and GAA of 2.83 cuts it.

Reactions: Henkka

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Seems odd to write an article about him with only 12 starts to date for Detroit. Greiss has started 10.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
7-3-3 with a .923 and a 2.58 playing behind a defense that is pretty bad apart from Seider and Leddy.

Carolina f***ed up this one that's for sure. Hope they're happy with whoever they took with that late 3rd we gave them for this guy

Reactions: heyfolks

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
7-3-3 with a .923 and a 2.58 playing behind a defense that is pretty bad apart from Seider and Leddy.

Carolina f***ed up this one that's for sure. Hope they're happy with whoever they took with that late 3rd we gave them for this guy

Andersen has been pretty good too this year to be fair

still though yeah Ned is 6 years younger and making 1.5 million less

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Andersen has been pretty good too this year to be fair

still though yeah Ned is 6 years younger and making 1.5 million less

I'd say Andersen has nothing to do with the poor value they got for Ned though. Like, regardless of how great Carolina's goaltending winds up being this season, they f***ed up with what they got for Ned. Truly, an Yzerman fleecing. (hopefully I'm not jinxing Ned the rest of the way here lol)

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Odd question here...

Is it me, or does Neddy appear to be really happy in Detroit?

Not that he didn't enjoy his time with the Canes, but for some strange reason I get the impression he feels blessed playing in Detroit (maybe it's being closer to home, a significant pay raise, great group of guys roughly the same age mid 20s, an Original 6 franchise, a great guy for GM, and solid ownership).

Glad to see him shine!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Odd question here...

Not that he didn't enjoy his time with the Canes, but for some strange reason I get the impression he feels blessed playing in Detroit (maybe it's being closer to home, a significant pay raise, great group of guys roughly the same age mid 20s, an Original 6 franchise, a great guy for GM, and solid ownership).

Glad to see him shine!

He does. He actually was already living in Michigan with his partner already before the trade. So to get to go home and get a chance to be the starting goalie... How could you not be thrilled?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
He does. He actually was already living in Michigan with his partner already before the trade. So to get to go home and get a chance to be the starting goalie... How could you not be thrilled?
Neddy is certainly the most entertaining netminder we've had in many years...I hope the goalie coach doesn't try to change/alter his style :nod:

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Yeah it really is amazing to finally have a goalie who can play the puck well. Howard would always try to play the puck and fail awkwardly, Osgood wasn't any better. Mrazek had some puck skills but bad decision making.

Very glad Ned is playing well so far, his confidence has been great for the team.

Reactions: deca guard

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Odd question here...

Glad to see him shine!

And consider that Carolina wasn’t giving up the money, which in a way is negative representation of their feeling of his ability. If they believed Ned had what it takes to be the true starter for their team, his contract would have been the easiest deal to sign, and yet they wouldn’t commit to it.

Now in Detroit he’s thrown out regularly and appears to be taking the primary starter role with his play. Detroit proved they wanted him, proved that he had a chance to be the guy he believes he is or will be.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017

Absolutely. Also helps when a GM shows confidence in you to go trade for and give you the money your old team didn't want to pay you. The belief the organization has shown in him has to help a great deal, and so far he's definitely delivered.

Reactions: Bench

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
I'd say Andersen has nothing to do with the poor value they got for Ned though. Like, regardless of how great Carolina's goaltending winds up being this season, they f***ed up with what they got for Ned. Truly, an Yzerman fleecing. (hopefully I'm not jinxing Ned the rest of the way here lol)

This is correct. It's also worth noting that Carolina went and gave injury prone 32 year old Antti Raanta a 2 x 2, and he has not been good for them so far. And it's not like "they didn't have the money"...this is the same team that dished out 6.1 mil for a Kotkaniemi offer sheet to put up the same 3rd line numbers he's put up for the last 3 seasons.

Reactions: jaster

CalumetHockeyTown

Aug 2, 2021
As someone who has suffered from Darkness of Harkness days, it is such a breathe of fresh air to see a goalie do exactly what he supposed to do.

After suffering through those awful Howard years this is great to witness FINALLY. This team has had average at best goaltending since 2009. (before anyone starts, Howard had one of the defense cores post cap and had a horrible year but the Wings could outscore teams SEE the Phoenix series in 2010)

This guy seems to be the real deal and is the best puck handling goalie the Wings have had in a long while.

One has to wonder why Carolina let him go?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
ff74f08e9ff53fb561784831582ee229.png

Reactions: NickH8

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
And consider that Carolina wasn’t giving up the money, which in a way is negative representation of their feeling of his ability. If they believed Ned had what it takes to be the true starter for their team, his contract would have been the easiest deal to sign, and yet they wouldn’t commit to it.

Now in Detroit he’s thrown out regularly and appears to be taking the primary starter role with his play. Detroit proved they wanted him, proved that he had a chance to be the guy he believes he is or will be.

The front office treatment of Ned (and some others to a lesser extent) has dimmed my enthusiasm for Carolina. I still enjoy many of the players, but the frustration began after Ned was stellar in the AHL championship run in 18-19 and the front office made it clear he wouldn't be given a chance to even be the backup in the NHL. The same happened prior to last season with Ned only getting a chance to play due to injuries, he made it impossible to send him down. But again prior to this season management showed no support.

Really glad he is thriving on the Wings (I was skeptical after game 1). It would be great if he helps keep Detroit in the playoff hunt all season and finishes top 3 for the Calder for a second time.

Reactions: jaster

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The front office treatment of Ned (and some others to a lesser extent) has dimmed my enthusiasm for Carolina. I still enjoy many of the players, but the frustration began after Ned was stellar in the AHL championship run in 18-19 and the front office made it clear he wouldn't be given a chance to even be the backup in the NHL. The same happened prior to last season with Ned only getting a chance to play due to injuries, he made it impossible to send him down. But again prior to this season management showed no support.

Really glad he is thriving on the Wings (I was skeptical after game 1). It would be great if he helps keep Detroit in the playoff hunt all season and finishes top 3 for the Calder for a second time.

I think the first game was a throw away. Playing Tampa with our defense the way that it is was going to be shell shock that Ned could have never been prepared for. The Canes defensive corps are light years ahead of what the Wings were going to provide Ned with. He was always going to be blown away at how many things he previously didn’t realize he would need to worry about.

As for the Calder, I hope he plays well enough to be in the discussion, but I think it’s almost a guarantee that he won’t receive many votes at all. I feel like the voters are going to intentionally leave him out of the discussion because of his finalist status from last year. The loophole will be his undoing. The way he’s played this year should have his name planted firmly in the discussion, and yet that quarter pole Calder vote that NHL.com put out didn’t have him on the map at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad