THW: Lombardi King of second round picks

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
kingsfan,

My point about the offer sheet wasn't concerning the amount but rather the fact ROR had to clear waivers had Colorado not matched. So if Columbus claimed him for free, CGY would still owe Colorado the draft pick compensation. Many fans ridiculed Feaster over this so I was just showing that other GMs could have just as easily been burned by the lack of clarification

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Yup your point stands. Just not based on this article or list. Pittsburgh is also second last on this list, however they are perennial cup favorites so it's hard to knock them. For sure Calgary has way more misses than most, their drafting ahs been terrible. Just saying this list is not indicative of that.

You're definitely right. I honestly did not realize that they only had three 2nd rounders since then. That's just crazy.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I agree with that 100% however your original post was slamming there scouting and other team's scouting. They may have scouted correctly but you cannot pick anyone if you have no picks,

Calgary is awful at scouting and developing players... Not even open to argue. Since 2006 Calgary has gotten 554 NHL games out of ALL of their draft picks... That's less games than the Kings have got out their 2nd round picks.

Calgary simply can't develop their own players, it's scary how bad they are at it. I haven't looked it up to see but I'd bet those 554 has got to easily be one of if not the worst totals for any team.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
How pathetic do some teams have to be in scouting? Calgary couldn't get ONE game out of a 2nd rounder? What a ****ing joke. I'd be absolutely ashamed if I were some of those teams near the bottom.

Calgary's dev program is no joy either, haha.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Calgary is awful at scouting and developing players... Not even open to argue. Since 2006 Calgary has gotten 554 NHL games out of ALL of their draft picks... That's less games than the Kings have got out their 2nd round picks.

Calgary simply can't develop their own players, it's scary how bad they are at it. I haven't looked it up to see but I'd bet those 554 has got to easily be one of if not the worst totals for any team.

You're forgetting one big thing. It's somewhat forgiveable I GUESS to have that bad of success out of picks if you're a perennial contender the entire time and you continually trade picks/prospects for shots/winning the cup. Calgary has bee a mediocre team at BEST while also giving up picks and the ones they keep are bad. They mortgaged their future for years to finish 8th, make the playoffs, and be out in the first round. They now traded away their captain, leader, heart and soul, face of the franchise, and one of the classiest guys in the league, while also trading their best defenseman and having their only real NHL goalie retire. While that looks like the start of a rebuild, they're STILL not making all the right picks. Jankowski? Come on. Poirier too was also bad asset management. I'd be really embarrassed to be a Flames fan. You've really gotta just feel bad for them.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
kingsfan,

My point about the offer sheet wasn't concerning the amount but rather the fact ROR had to clear waivers had Colorado not matched. So if Columbus claimed him for free, CGY would still owe Colorado the draft pick compensation. Many fans ridiculed Feaster over this so I was just showing that other GMs could have just as easily been burned by the lack of clarification

Oh I know what you're saying, but what I'm saying is only Feaster screwed up to the point his first round pick would have been on the line. It's one thing to end up losing a 2nd for nothing, it's another to lose the 6th overall pick for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad