THW: Lombardi King of second round picks

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Had certain Kings scouts got their way in 2006, Milan Lucic would have been an LA king out of the second round.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
To be fair Al Murray was pretty much a dictator kind of guy who had very very strong opinions on the players he wanted the team to select. I am sure others who know/knew him can chime in too but he was a tough customer to interact with most of the time. Nice guy as long as it wasn't Kings related.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
this is another reason i`m happy to be a king fan. They are finally becoming a team that can replace from within. We don`t have to trade or go after freeagents we draft well. We will hopefully get back more 2nd rounds to replace the ones we let go to buffalo .

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
I would trade every 1st rounder for two 2nd rounders in the next upcoming years.

This is why I was hoping Bernier would be dealt to the NYI for the 15th overall pick and Poulin. I was thinking LA could have traded down a few times and ended up with multiple 2nd and 3rd rd picks. Could have picked guys like Hagg, Tambellini, Duclair and maybe even Fucale.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
How pathetic do some teams have to be in scouting? Calgary couldn't get ONE game out of a 2nd rounder? What a ****ing joke. I'd be absolutely ashamed if I were some of those teams near the bottom.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
How pathetic do some teams have to be in scouting? Calgary couldn't get ONE game out of a 2nd rounder? What a ****ing joke. I'd be absolutely ashamed if I were some of those teams near the bottom.

San Jose is pathetic as well, having traded away McGinn.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Feaster is a mystery of awfulness. I just don't see why or how he keeps his job. This draft was the worst yet. He sat at his table and refused to answer his own phone. For a long time he made other teams walk up to the table to deal with him. I just don't see how he remains employed. I have never seen anything like that before let alone how terrible a job he has done in every other aspect.

I stood behind Doug Wilson laughing at him during the 5th round. What a great chance to steal one of the deeper drafts in years only to just pizz it away on middle of the road junk. That was a favorite moment for me. He was such a truly great player and has done an obviously good job sticking to the foundation that DL set up for him but wow was he and his crew in the weeds this year.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Feaster is a mystery of awfulness. I just don't see why or how he keeps his job. This draft was the worst yet. He sat at his table and refused to answer his own phone. For a long time he made other teams walk up to the table to deal with him. I just don't see how he remains employed. I have never seen anything like that before let alone how terrible a job he has done in every other aspect.

I stood behind Doug Wilson laughing at him during the 5th round. What a great chance to steal one of the deeper drafts in years only to just pizz it away on middle of the road junk. That was a favorite moment for me. He was such a truly great player and has done an obviously good job sticking to the foundation that DL set up for him but wow was he and his crew in the weeds this year.

This is actually quite funny. Feaster really is an idiot. I think Monahan was good pick for that team as they really need everything but I don't think he was BPA at 6. Poirier was just baffling. They could have gotten him way later and even traded down with one of their firsts to get him AND another good prospect. Calgary is just in such a terrible situation with him at the helm.

As for DW, it's not surprising. Doug is too ****ing blind to see that the core of his team will not win the cup. They had better teams in the past and still couldn't win or even get to the ****ing finals. They might as well piece off the team now and rebuild around Couture going forward but that takes too much logic for Wilson to ever do it. Like you said, he had everything he needed to have one of the best drafts and he blew it big time.

San Jose is pathetic as well, having traded away McGinn.

San Jose is pathetic in EVERY sense of the word. Nothing rivals my hate for them and nothing ever will (not even Comcast, which itself is the devil but I digress). It doesn't shock me that McGinn was their only one. In the time span the article looks at, they had 3 different years without a 2nd. They also traded away 3 1st round picks in that time period. They don't draft well but they also don't draft enough because they're always trading away picks for aging vets that don't help them actually win anything.

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
Well to be fair I guess it's going to be another 2-3 yrs before we can really see how Feasters drafts stack up. He took lots of heat for the ROR signing but I read that 6 other GMs offer sheeted him aswell. As for Wilson I thought this was going to be a draft were the sharks restocked the prospect depth but as pointed out they seem to have mismanaged it. True sign for SJ will be this year with guys like Thornton, Boyle, Marleau and Pavelski becoming UFA. SJ will likely get a major haul of prospects and picks if they decide to move any combination of the four. Thornton and Boyle will likely bring back a 1st rd pick, top prospect and roster player. The only real question is if Wilson will still be calling the shots by then

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Calgary also did not have any second round picks to even draft anyone. They have traded them all away since Lombardi has taken over. Same reason as to why the pens are so low. You can't play any games if you have no players.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Calgary also did not have any second round picks to even draft anyone. They have traded them all away since Lombardi has taken over. Same reason as to why the pens are so low. You can't play any games if you have no players.

Which itself leads to a bigger problem. They continually try and retool for YEARS when everyone in hockey knows they don't have a shot. And they did this for years. And years. Their rebuild is far too late.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Which itself leads to a bigger problem. They continually try and retool for YEARS when everyone in hockey knows they don't have a shot. And they did this for years. And years. Their rebuild is far too late.

I agree with that 100% however your original post was slamming there scouting and other team's scouting. They may have scouted correctly but you cannot pick anyone if you have no picks,

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
They might as well piece off the team now and rebuild around Couture going forward but that takes too much logic for Wilson to ever do it. Like you said, he had everything he needed to have one of the best drafts and he blew it big time.

Couture's going to win a Cup somewhere, just not sure where. San Jose will either rebuild around him and he'll win it there, or they'll screw it up and he'll sign somewhere else and win it there.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I agree with that 100% however your original post was slamming there scouting and other team's scouting. They may have scouted correctly but you cannot pick anyone if you have no picks,

Hell, look at their first rounders. You can't really defend Calgary's scouting. Yeah they've drafted only 3 second rounders since then but taking Mitch Wahl and Markus Granlund as two of them isn't that great. Their first rounders since then haven't even been good. I didn't realize Calgary only drafted 3 rounders in the 2nd round but outside of them, my point stands. There are some really awful teams at drafting.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Feaster lives off of two things; a Stanley Cup run (built largely off the backs of guys like Rick Dudley and, imagine this, strong drafting) and his willingness to do what ownership wants. A good GM would have told ownership from the start that this team needs a tear it down and build approach, but ownership didn't want that. They wanted to retool and go for a cup run year after year. Feaster knew it and told him they could do it. Likely was the only decent applicant who told them that while flashing his big ring in their eyes and presto, he has a job.

Jay Feaster is actually the worst GM currently employed in the league when it comes to his drafting record. He was GM for seven drafts in Tampa Bay (2002-2008) and again three now with the Flames.

I won't discuss his time with Calgary yet, as it is a bit early to truly assess those drafts (typically you give it five years after a draft to do a review) but in his time in Tampa Bay the club made 62 selections. Of those, 23 made the NHL, which is a rate of 37 per cent. On the surface that sounds good, but if you take 164 games (the equivalent of two full seasons) as a status for success for a skater and 82 games (the equivalent of one full season) for a goalie, then only Fredrik Norrena, Paul Ranger, Nick Tarnasky, Ryan Craig, Mike Lundin, and Steven Stamkos have reached those levels, and only Stamkos made it as a core player (maybe Ranger briefly as well). And at 1st overall, almost all picks pan out (minus the Alexandre Daigle's and Patrik Stefan's).

His drafting success level is downright brutal. Other than Stamkos, his 1st round picks are Vladmir Michalek, Riku Helenius, and Andy Rogers.

Well to be fair I guess it's going to be another 2-3 yrs before we can really see how Feasters drafts stack up. He took lots of heat for the ROR signing but I read that 6 other GMs offer sheeted him aswell.

All 30 GM's could have offer sheeted him, only he offer sheeted him at that high of a price tag.

Sheng Peng

Thanks for posting my work!

If you go back to the original link, I added the number of second-round picks each team made from 2006-12. Impressively, the Kings grabbed 5 NHL'ers from 7 second-round picks, the Blackhawks have received only 65 games from 12 second-rounders so far, and everyone's whipping boy, the Flames, only made 4 second-round picks in that time span (and 3 of them are from 2011-12).

Haha Second Round God is a very fitting

Haha, that should've been the name of the article!

Mike The Franchise

Sep 22, 2008
Los Angeles
Thanks for posting my work!

If you go back to the original link, I added the number of second-round picks each team made from 2006-12. Impressively, the Kings grabbed 5 NHL'ers from 7 second-round picks, the Blackhawks have received only 65 games from 12 second-rounders so far, and everyone's whipping boy, the Flames, only made 4 second-round picks in that time span (and 3 of them are from 2011-12).

Haha, that should've been the name of the article!

Your very welcome and it was a fun and insightfule article to look at :handclap:

I will be looking at your work more closely now and will be posting them on these boards ;)

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Hell, look at their first rounders. You can't really defend Calgary's scouting. Yeah they've drafted only 3 second rounders since then but taking Mitch Wahl and Markus Granlund as two of them isn't that great. Their first rounders since then haven't even been good. I didn't realize Calgary only drafted 3 rounders in the 2nd round but outside of them, my point stands. There are some really awful teams at drafting.

Yup your point stands. Just not based on this article or list. Pittsburgh is also second last on this list, however they are perennial cup favorites so it's hard to knock them. For sure Calgary has way more misses than most, their drafting ahs been terrible. Just saying this list is not indicative of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad