Pre-Game Talk: Thursday vs. Vancouver: Freeze Company

The upcoming Montreal games…

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Long term, he'll replace Barrie for sure. I think it's pretty obvious they know what they have in him (I hope lol). A top pair Dman who can play with Nurse. There's a reason they played some shifts together last game and the PK
I just thought he would get more games this year in some of the more "meaningless" games.

I don't expect him to replace Barrie in one year. That would be so Oilers. I thought if they see more of him, maybe they think a few times as to what to offer Barrie and more importantly, the term to offer barrie....

That's if he even stays here..

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think he is yet. That Canucks team is an AHL team remember? Bear and Jones have picked up their game the last month. Yeah that game against Flames wasn't good for them I agree.

Yes he is better, right now until next season, Soundwave don't be so biased. He didn't play top pair last year by luck and excel at it. As for Barrie and Larsson, I agree they probably should have a game off

So why not rest Barrie or Larsson for one game here? It's a dumb coaching decision. What happens if there are injuries on the right side in the playoffs? Bouchard should have more than one game every freaking 20 under his belt so he is ready also.

Do we want to be put into a situation of inserting someone into the lineup of a playoff game who's played one game in like 2 months? It's stupid roster management.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I can understand people's frustration on not playing Bouchard. Especially when he's played only one game in a span of two months.

Me angry? Nope. Just not a fan of not letting the kid play a couple more games to allow vets to rest in a matchup (likely, the habs) that will be full of grinding and old time hockey.

Understood lol. I do agree I would've rested more vets until the MTL games

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
So why not rest Barrie or Larsson for one game here? It's a dumb coaching decision. What happens if there are injuries on the right side in the playoffs? Bouchard should have more than one game every freaking 20 under his belt so he is ready also.
Lol I agree. Hey if we do get an injury on the right side, it means Bouchard plays :naughty:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I just thought he would get more games this year in some of the more "meaningless" games.

I don't expect him to replace Barrie in one year. That would be so Oilers. I thought if they see more of him, maybe they think a few times as to what to offer Barrie and more importantly, the term to offer barrie....

That's if he even stays here..
I agree.

If Barrie wants too much, I wouldn't keep him. I like your idea of bringing Bouchard along in the lineup, which is why Bear wouldn't be bad on the top pair either

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Tippett sometimes just has to be the most stubborn, stupid f*** to ever coach this team. What he did in the play in series last year was terrible.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

I'm not convinced they won't just play Russell if they have an injury on the right side in the playoffs. I completely agree with you, the way Bouchard was handled this year was pretty silly. If he doesn't play any of these games, I don't know how you throw him into a playoff game. He should play both games against the Canadiens, as that will be the best matchup to get acclimated to playoff hockey.

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
Seriously, what kind of message does this send to Bouchard

Played an absolutely f***ing great game, then is back in the press box

f***ing disgusting. Idc if the plan was only to play him that game. CHANGE THE f***ING PLAN

Arrrrggghhhhhhhhhh. Have one of the RHD play left side.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Tippett sometimes just has to be the most stubborn, stupid f*** to ever coach this team. What he did in the play in series last year was terrible.
So much hyperbole in here..

Oilers are in a comfortable playoff spot for the first time in forever and Tippett is the "most stubborn and stupid f*** to ever coach this team" just because Bouchard is sitting.

I wouldn't say I agree with the decision either but can we at least tone down the rhetoric a bit?

Reactions: nally and ujju2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So much hyperbole in here..

Oilers are in a comfortable playoff spot for the first time in forever and Tippett is the "most stubborn and stupid f*** to ever coach this team" just because Bouchard is sitting.

I wouldn't say I agree with the decision either but can we at least tone down the rhetoric a bit?

They're in that spot because McDavid and Draiaitl are 1-2 in league scoring, a top PP, and Smith primarily.

Tippett makes a lot of bizarre decisions, breaking up the DRY line for a play in series a year ago where the team had no real warm up was plainly idiotic and predictably back fired.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
They're in that spot because McDavid and Draiaitl are 1-2 in league scoring, a top PP, and Smith primarily.

Tippett makes a lot of bizarre decisions, breaking up the DRY line for a play in series a year ago where the team had no real warm up was plainly idiotic and predictably back fired.
Yes - they're in that spot because they're a good team that has good players and a coach that creates an environment where that talent can shine.

Tippett has made some questionable lineup decisions but it's still a huge leap from that to what you said.

Reactions: ujju2 and GOilers88

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I imagine Tippett imitating Lou Brown saying this to Bouchard after ge scored, except replace "Hayes" with "Bouch" and "catch" with "goal".

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Larsson needs to keep playing so him and Kulikov can get fully in sync by the time the playoffs come around. That is way more important than getting Bouchard another game when he likely won’t see the ice in the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Larsson needs to keep playing so him and Kulikov can get fully in sync by the time the playoffs come around. That is way more important than getting Bouchard another game when he likely won’t see the ice in the playoffs.

Does Barrie really need to play that badly tonight? At minimum Bouchard should play in all the Vancouver games.

Bouchard could easily have to play in the playoffs, injuries happen all the time. The last time the Oilers were deep in the playoffs Griffin freaking Reinhart was forced to play in an elimination game.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
@ConnorMcMullet

upload_2021-5-6_13-8-27.gif

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
I really wish he'd give Stalock a game to get him some action in since he hasn't played this season.

Just in case......well, you know.
If we end up with stalock between the pipes for any reason it just means the oil are going golfing. hell if he's dressed as backup it likely means the oil are boned. He is no better than 3rd string. Do you see a lot of nhl clubs giving the #3 on the depth chart a few starts near the end of the season just in case? No , cause its assinine.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
For the major Tipp haters out there I see only two options.

Either you think this team as constructed is as good as, if not better than the Leafs, and would be above them in the standings were it not for Tippett and his terrible coaching. That's the difference another 3 or 4 wins makes. This runs contrary to what a lot of people have said all year, and even continue to say now when comparing the two teams.

Or, this team is just not that well constructed top to bottom, and they are where they are because of decisions Tippett has made whether you like them or not.

I guess there's a third option, which would be the team is only where it is because of McDavid, but I really don't like to give this one any sort of weight.

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
Barrie really hasn't been great lately

I think resting him for a game or 2 would've been smart.

I'm not saying Bouchard should replace him, but I definitely think Barrie could use a rest for a game or 2

Reactions: Moreaupheus

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
For the major Tipp haters out there I see only two options.

Either you think this team as constructed is as good as, if not better than the Leafs, and would be above them in the standings were it not for Tippett and his terrible coaching. That's the difference another 3 or 4 wins makes.

Or, this team is just not that well constructed top to bottom, and they are where they are because of decisions Tippett has made whether you like them or not.

I guess there's a third option, which would be the team is only where it is because of McDavid, but I really don't like to give this one any sort of weight.

He's about a Todd McLellan tier coach. Better than the shit tier world of Eakins and Kruegers of the world but not in the top level like Trotz or Laviolette.

Any year McDavid and Drai get good goaltending the team plays at about a 100 point pace.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
He's about a Todd McLellan tier coach. Better than the shit tier world of Eakins and Kruegers of the world but not in the top level.

Any year McDavid and Drai get good goaltending the team plays at about a 100 point pace.
Your sample size is 2 and you're ignoring any other possible factor for the success of the team in both those seasons.

Reactions: ujju2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Bouchard: *Scores goal*
Tippett "Oh hell no! You're scratched next game!"

It doesn't matter what Bouchard did in that game. Bear is their guy going into the playoffs because of his experience and Tippett wants the guys to keep momentum going into the playoffs so with only (4?) games left, it makes sense to play the regular 6 Dmen to keep the rhythm going into the playoffs and keep them sharp.

I know this makes some of you angry, too angry if you ask me, but it makes sense to me to get the regulars in now although I suppose Bouchard getting one more game would have made some sense. Oh well, no big deal really.

Also, calling Tippett "brain dead" is well... brain dead.
Yeah he makes some decisions that the fans don't like and I certainly haven't agreed with all his lineups to say the least but he deserves more respect than that.

Reactions: bellagiobob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad