Pre-Game Talk: Thursday vs. Vancouver: Freeze Company

The upcoming Montreal games…

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
The Islanders sat Barzal their last game and Eberle will sit tonight, despite still jockeying for playoff position. I’d rather have guys fresh than playing every game. We’ve had a nasty schedule down the stretch.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Your sample size is 2 and you're ignoring any other possible factor for the success of the team in both those seasons.

3 seasons where McDavid and Draisaitl have had above .915 goaltending from their starter the team has 103 points, 96 point pace at game 71 one year ago, and this year on pace for 106 points, all three seasons comfortable winning records.

And it's not like everything has been hunky dory perfect this year, like 6 of our supposed top 9 forwards are having bad seasons compared to last year.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
He's about a Todd McLellan tier coach. Better than the shit tier world of Eakins and Kruegers of the world but not in the top level like Trotz or Laviolette.

Any year McDavid and Drai get good goaltending the team plays at about a 100 point pace.
A good 915 goaltender behind a porous defense can pretty quickly turn to a 875 goalie, ask markstom. Its not even long distance to Calgary.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
A good 915 goaltender behind a porous defense can pretty quickly turn to a 875 goalie, ask markstom. Its not even long distance to Calgary.

I think Markstrom was always overrated a bit.

He's not any better than a Cam Talbot, the Canucks fans on this site get a giant ass balloon head any time one of their players has a good season (see also: Hughes) and the board goes along with the hype.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Rangers fined $250,000
FC5E7E42-3B60-402A-8259-17014F2DC3E5.png

Reactions: RattsSSV

BigFuzzyDice

Jul 8, 2016
I think Markstrom was always overrated a bit.

He's not any better than a Cam Talbot, the Canucks fans on this site get a giant ass balloon head any time one of their players has a good season (see also: Hughes) and the board goes along with the hype.
I wasn't making any specific claims about markstrom, mostly just poking fun at the dumpster fire down south.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If we end up with stalock between the pipes for any reason it just means the oil are going golfing. hell if he's dressed as backup it likely means the oil are boned. He is no better than 3rd string. Do you see a lot of nhl clubs giving the #3 on the depth chart a few starts near the end of the season just in case? No , cause its assinine.

The Oilers have clinched a playoff spot. They're not going to catch the Leafs for first. They win tonight, they clinch 2nd so what the hell is it going to hurt to have him get a game in as the season winds down.

Don't forget, he's not just some no- name guy plucked off waivers. He was Minnesota's starter last season with decent numbers until covid buggered him up this off season.

I'd rather be sort of prepared for the worst than unprepared at all.

BigFuzzyDice

Jul 8, 2016
The Oilers have clinched a playoff spot. They're not going to catch the Leafs for first. They win tonight, they clinch 2nd so what the hell is it going to hurt to have him get a game in as the season winds down.

Don't forget, he's not just some no- name guy plucked off waivers. He was Minnesota's starter last season with decent numbers until covid buggered him up this off season.

I'd rather be sort of prepared for the worst than unprepared at all.
The oil will never start him above kostko this year. if it gets down to the 3rd option the wheels are off the season. Its mental masterbation to justify starting him at all at this point. 1 or 2 games won't have him in playoff ready game shape.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Way too nice out to be watching a meaningless game. See you guys in the playoffs.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The oil will never start him above kostko this year. if it gets down to the 3rd option the wheels are off the season. Its mental masterbation to justify starting him at all at this point. 1 or 2 games won't have him in playoff ready game shape.

My big concern is Smith and his age. Playing in 1 or 2 games of meaningless hockey is better than having played 0 games if he's needed anytime between now and pick a mystery random date. I think we can both agree lots of things would have to go wrong for him to see any action in the playoffs but Oilers fans shouldn't have to be reminded its never a bad idea to have all goalies ready for action considering what happened 15 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad