GDT: Through the Looking Glass and What Jimmy Saw There | PIT @ CAR | 7:00 PM | PNC Arena

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
Who knew this would be the game worth watching tonight? Too bad I missed it... tank aside, great to send that blasted fanbase home unhappy. To anyone there: were there more Penguins fans than our fans? Because I wouldn't doubt it at all.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Who knew this would be the game worth watching tonight? Too bad I missed it... tank aside, great to send that blasted fanbase home unhappy. To anyone there: were there more Penguins fans than our fans? Because I wouldn't doubt it at all.

Yup, there were. After Nesty scored in the third there was a noticeable evacuation of the building as the March of the Penguins began.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Was this Malone's first game back after being scratched for a while? He looked good tonight, and it may lend credence to the idea that scratching a player could help them stay accountable.

And all the times he scratched someone only for them to come back and play the exact same? That includes Malone.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm thinking more from the standpoint that it was a hockey play voted in that overwhelmingly over some random NBA dunk that was utterly meaningless in regards to the outcome of the game.

Just watching the highlights again, and yeah, about the only goal Fleury would REALLY want back was the first one. Other then that he got beat by a total snipe from JayMac and the rest of them the defense was just atrocious at closing down the lanes. Unless that changes they're going to get eaten alive in the first round since it looks like they'd draw one of the Rangers, Habs, or Bolts if they end up as the wild card.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinJaBen

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Was this Malone's first game back after being scratched for a while? He looked good tonight, and it may lend credence to the idea that scratching a player could help them stay accountable.

Personally, I don't think Peters is scratching Malone, Terry, Dwyer, Nash, etc..at this point in the season for accountability reasons. I think with the season shot, he is making sure nobody sits for too long and everybody gets an ample chance to make their case for next year. That's how I see it and if that is indeed the case, I like the approach.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Not really....Cam Ward was Cup run good last night. He made at least 4 highlight reel saves that I can recall. Can't really fault him on the goals against either.

I know he had a fine game, I'm surprised that ESPN viewers chose something relating to hockey (the Carolina Hurricanes nonetheless), as the #1 play.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
That's true. ESPN still has their jimmies rustled over the move from Hartford to Carolina.

Undoubtedly.

They don't care about hockey, but they're still salty about the move, so I'm surprised that we got any acknowledgement from them, especially positive.

That said, ESPN has been unwatchable for several years now. If it's not football season (they don't care much for the Panthers, either), I don't bother with them.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Undoubtedly.

They don't care about hockey, but they're still salty about the move, so I'm surprised that we got any acknowledgement from them, especially positive.

That said, ESPN has been unwatchable for several years now. If it's not football season (they don't care much for the Panthers, either), I don't bother with them.

Hell, just make that if it's not college football season. They're not even that good when it comes to the NFL if you have NFL Network as an alternative, there unfortunately is no alternative when it comes to college sports outside of Fox Sports since FS1 stupidly doesn't stream.

And that's not to say they don't play favorites with college football as well because they most certainly do. ANYTHING B1G or SEC prettymuch is seen as the greatest thing in the history of EVAR by ESPN when it comes to the college game, but they'll at least still cover and show games by the ACC, Pac, and Big 12 frequently. Even games from the non P-5 conferences.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
have the non-B1G and SEC conferences really done much lately to prove they are worth anything outside of a handful of teams that get just as much hype as the teams in those two conferences (FSU, oregon, USC in the past, etc.)?

they always just talk about what is hot lately and in football, it is typically one of those two conferences, though the SEC is on the decline it seems

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
have the non-B1G and SEC conferences really done much lately to prove they are worth anything outside of a handful of teams that get just as much hype as the teams in those two conferences (FSU, oregon, USC in the past, etc.)?

they always just talk about what is hot lately and in football, it is typically one of those two conferences, though the SEC is on the decline it seems

Would say the Big 12 but they weren't given the opportunity to prove themselves in the playoff. Ironically Ohio State won the title while simultaneously quite possibly not even deserving to be there over TCU.

Pac has been good for a while, Oregon, USC, Stanford. They've seemingly always had a team in the national spotlight, just no titles since USC. Wouldn't be surprised if Arizona becomes the next "hip" Pac school to compete with those 3.

ACC, outside of FSU, hasn't proven **** though.

Funny enough I'd actually say outside of Ohio State, what B1G team has shown they're worth a damn over the past decade?

Last edited:

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
If Minnesota had a qb, they would be good. Jerry Kill is underrated as hell.

ncf_r_minnesota_mb_576x324.jpg

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Would say the Big 12 but they weren't given the opportunity to prove themselves in the playoff. Ironically Ohio State won the title while simultaneously quite possibly not even deserving to be there over TCU.

Pac has been good for a while, Oregon, USC, Stanford. They've seemingly always had a team in the national spotlight, just no titles since USC. Wouldn't be surprised if Arizona becomes the next "hip" Pac school to compete with those 3.

ACC, outside of FSU, hasn't proven **** though.

Funny enough I'd actually say outside of Ohio State, what B1G team has shown they're worth a damn over the past decade?

michigan

oh wait

lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad