Tribute thri-LILLY-ng

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The sitting is questionable, I agree. However, I cannot argue with the results we've been seeing. Maybe there was a method to the madness.

Sandin is his own player, therefore, a completely different conversation. I'm not sure what Keefe could have done to improve his mobility.

I don't compare Sandin to Liljegren, I've never been big on Sandin.
You can only develop so far when you can't skate .. but a 3rd pairing guy with good hands and shot for PP2 is fine .. to me I would trade Sandin before everyone else figures it out at nhl level and we can't get much for him .. he is gonna be trouble too with CAP at each contract .. a 3rd pair guy isn't getting good $$$

Reactions: Clyde Brewer

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
You can only develop so far when you can't skate .. but a 3rd pairing guy with good hands and shot for PP2 is fine .. to me I would trade Sandin before everyone else figures it out at nhl level and we can't get much for him .. he is gonna be trouble too with CAP at each contract .. a 3rd pair guy isn't getting good $$$

Do you think Niemla had a higher ceiling?
I haven't watched him play for a year, but I was very hopeful for him- much more than Sandin.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Lily should never sit, kid is literally my personally most protected prospect. Right handed d-man, with skill, great skating and smart simple plays. People tend to forget he was an offensive force in the AHL too.

In 150 games he has 74 points.

I'm so impressed with him, and coincidentally, our (by far) most consistent and best defensive efforts in the 2 games he's been in the lineup.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I feel like people are putting a low ceiling on sandman he’s gonna be a lot better than a 3rd pairing d at worst skating is important but I would argue iq is much more important riellys skating is why he’s paid soo much he isn’t actually a great defensive defencemen Sandin is more physical and smarter but tbd right?

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
I'm so impressed with him, and coincidentally, our (by far) most consistent and best defensive efforts in the 2 games he's been in the lineup.

ok lets relax ,,,,,,,,, i love lilly and probably my favorite leaf at the moment but lets not attribute the total team defensive effort to lilly. the guy has average the least or second least amount of icetime between the d.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I haven't watched him play for a year, but I was very hopeful for him- much more than San

I haven't watched him play for a year, but I was very hopeful for him- much more than Sandin.
No idear I have not seen him play outside of WJT .. from that viewpoint he looks like an offensive dman who can run a PP .. but he can fly .. Sandin will never fly .. very hard to know until he suits up for Marlies

Reactions: Clyde Brewer

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I feel like people are putting a low ceiling on sandman he’s gonna be a lot better than a 3rd pairing d at worst skating is important but I would argue iq is much more important riellys skating is why he’s paid soo much he isn’t actually a great defensive defencemen Sandin is more physical and smarter but tbd right?
In todays game it is really difficult to make it big when you are one of slower guys in league .. when i played most D could hardly skate but it didn't matter as you could use your stick as a weapon and f*ckin a guy up in glass was like saying hello .. one hand grabs a guys shirt one leg in lock position and other hand with a glove facewash after a head smash into glass .. and ref would say let him go now or have to think about giving you a holding call

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
Lily should never sit, kid is literally my personally most protected prospect. Right handed d-man, with skill, great skating and smart simple plays. People tend to forget he was an offensive force in the AHL too.

In 150 games he has 74 points.
I wouldn't say offensive force in the AHL. He had a good 30 p in 40 gp stretch.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
thri-LILLY-ng ………..is this steady , blue collar , tough , strong , intelligent, heady , mature , on and on …young player really be something special ?
I’ve always been a fan , every time I watch his play I’m seeing the subtle nuances that show up all over the ice .anything can happen , but this young player has such positive characteristics in his game .
Any thoughts ?
GLG

I like Liljegren better than Sandin out there.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I didn't watch Sunday's game, but he looks like a real good player out there. That whiff was a stinker, but those happen and he never missed a beat. That was absolutely ice cold to go high glove off the left point as a righty there.

Stickwork is amazing on the defensive end, and he uses his body to separate attackers from the puck. Passes like a pro. He has all the tools of a fantastic defenseman and looks to be coming into his own. Guy is a PLAYER.

Last edited:

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I didn't watch Sunday's game, but he looks like a real good player out there. That whiff was a stinker, but those happen and he never missed a beat. That was absolutely ice cold to go high glove off the left point as a righty there.

Stickwork is amazing on the defensive end, and he uses his body to separate attackers from the puck. Passes like a pro. He has all the tools of a fantastic defenseman and looks to be coming into his own. Guy is a PLAYER.
Terrific takes and observations!!! Excellent
GLG

Reactions: LeafGrief and kb

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
ok lets relax ,,,,,,,,, i love lilly and probably my favorite leaf at the moment but lets not attribute the total team defensive effort to lilly. the guy has average the least or second least amount of icetime between the d.
Being out for an extended period of time recovering from a sports hernia surgery and only playing a couple tuneup games on the Marlies may be why he’s still low on the ice time totem pole

Reactions: Teeder Keon

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The talking heads on Overdrive need to eat crow. They kept saying that getting Liljegren back was going to have a negligible impact on the blueline and most of us knew otherwise.
Coco was just flat out wrong about him and can't walk it back .. his ego is too big .. but it won't matter .. he wasn't da only one either .. i could name you a few pro scouts on Kings who didn't want any part of Lily either .. it is why I always say D men you can't figure out where they are going to develop finally until their late 20s .. because guys like Lily happen

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Coco was just flat out wrong about him and can't walk it back .. his ego is too big .. but it won't matter .. he wasn't da only one either .. i could name you a few pro scouts on Kings who didn't want any part of Lily either .. it is why I always say D men you can't figure out where they are going to develop finally until their late 20s .. because guys like Lily happen

Solid points all around….

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Remember how many posters here thought he was a bust when his production stalled in the AHL as an underager?

Ahh good times

The best part of Lilly is his personality. I see him being a solid D for this team for a long, long time.
Good point, personality is always important and maybe it's especially important in this town.

The hot takes here are so predictable. The jubilation was almost universal when we drafted him, I remember that day so well but missing almost a full year obviously meant we'd have to wait a while, Dmen normally take a while to develop anyway so I was always happy to wait and cringed every time someone included him in a proposed trade. Right handed Dman with his pedigree, I agree completely and I assume that him being a part of this team for a long, long time was always the hope.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The talking heads on Overdrive need to eat crow. They kept saying that getting Liljegren back was going to have a negligible impact on the blueline and most of us knew otherwise.

They didn’t quite say that, they said if you’re looking to Liljegren to be the saviour of the defense core you’re in trouble and they aren’t wrong. Are we realistically expecting Liljegren to shoulder a huge defensive load? We need to improve our d. Our defense core is probably one of the worst in the league. You can’t expect Liljegren to come in and stabilize the d core, he shouldn’t have that type of responsibility so early on.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
They didn’t quite say that, they said if you’re looking to Liljegren to be the saviour of the defense core you’re in trouble and they aren’t wrong. Are we realistically expecting Liljegren to shoulder a huge defensive load? We need to improve our d. Our defense core is probably one of the worst in the league. You can’t expect Liljegren to come in and stabilize the d core, he shouldn’t have that type of responsibility so early on.

I think our d being one of the worst in the league is a massive hyperbole….

Reilly, Gio, Brodie and now it seems Lilly are legitimate top 2-4 options. Sandin and Holl are a fine 5 and 6 D. We’re missing a true #1 but otherwise I’d say we’re probably in the top 3rd of the league.

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad