Tribute thri-LILLY-ng

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
thri-LILLY-ng ……….could this steady , blue collar , tough , strong , intelligent, heady , mature , Neanderthal looking on and on …young player really be something special ?
I’ve always been a fan , every time I watch his play I’m seeing the subtle nuances that show up all over the ice .anything can happen , but this young player has such positive characteristics in his game .
Any thoughts ?
GLG

Last edited:

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Did we actually luck out when Lilly slipped down to the teens? He was an all-offence dman coming out of Sweden...he's grown his game leaps and bounds and is now an actual TJ Brodie type of dman. He can move the puck, he can defend and is strong enough to handle himself.

Dubas should be looking at a possible extension before he gets expensive.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Did we actually luck out when Lilly slipped down to the teens? He was an all-offence dman coming out of Sweden...he's grown his game leaps and bounds and is now an actual TJ Brodie type of dman. He can move the puck, he can defend and is strong enough to handle himself.

I have never understood this narrative of Liljegren and all offense?

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I have never understood this narrative of Liljegren and all offense?
His pre-draft highlight videos are all showing his skills carrying and shooting the puck, but yeah he's a very heady defensive player now too.

Credit to the kid to want to learn the defensive aspect of the game and never pipe up once about not getting a fair shot in the NHL but instead steadily improving each year and going out and proving he's an NHLer

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
His pre-draft highlight videos are all showing his skills carrying and shooting the puck, but yeah he's a very heady defensive player now too.

Credit to the kid to want to learn the defensive aspect of the game and never pipe up once about not getting a fair shot in the NHL but instead steadily improving each year and going out and proving he's an NHLer

I thought he was very good tonight.

Looking forward to when he gets in game shape.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
He’s our 2nd most valuable D behind Rielly
I might be alone but I’d argue in a little while you’ll see he’s our most valuable d he made rielly look a lot better today

been high on him since he was drafted and damn glad he's doing well. I also love the fact Gio has taken him under his wing from last season, I hope he soaks it all up.

I am definitely biased but I like him more than Sandin :laugh:
I like them both they bring something different and as of now they’re the future of the blueline

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
He’s our 2nd most valuable D behind Rielly
He's amazing. Lilly and Brodie are my favourite d-men. Rielly is also good. Those are the undisputed top 3 imo. Giordano is like an #4 at this stage of his career or #5 on a ridiculous contract. Sandin is the exact same, probably a #5. Holl is a passable #6. Inconsistent but passable.

#1 Rielly (top 15-30)
#2 Brodie (top 40-60)
#3 Liljegren (top 60)
#4 Giordano (top 120)
#5 Sandin (top 150)
#6 Holl (top 200)

It's really hard to know what Muzzin is at this stage.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
thri-LILLY-ng ………..is this steady , blue collar , tough , strong , intelligent, heady , mature , n and on …young player really be so thing special ?
I’ve always been a fan , every time I watch his play I’m seeing the subtle nuances that show up all over the ice .anything can happen , but this young player has such positive characteristics in his game .
Any thoughts ?
GLG
I think as he gains confidence his offense skills will emerge, and he will just become more valuable.
He is paying off all of the patience management had in his development.
Oh, and he is all of 23!!!

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
For a young player who concentrated on his defense, he's doing alright when in comes to point totals: 75 games in, 24 points

Sandin by comparison is scoring at a similar rate: 100 games, 31 points.

I expect to see the 3:1 ratio to improve as the season continues.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

Yes I really think we did for a change not as much as finding Kaberle in the 5th round or whatever, but I can see him developing into a tougher version of Kabs maybe like a Justin Faulk kind of guy.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I still think his offensive game is in him. Once he is more confidence and comfortable, he will start showing more offence.
Really think Keefe should not press box him after two games in the playoffs last season as he was holding his own and gaining exp.
Agreed. He had one bad Game 2, that happens with young players. But he was banished to the press box after that. Not an ideal learning experience, and with how close the series was, that could have been a difference in winning vs. losing.

I think he is going to be very, very valuable to this team for a long time.

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
Yes I really think we did for a change not as much as finding Kaberle in the 5th round or whatever, but I can see him developing into a tougher version of Kabs maybe like a Justin Faulk kind of guy.

Faulk isn't a bad comparison, and we would be very happy with that.

The thing I see about Liljegren is that he seems to get noticing better every game.

Leafs deserve some credit here for allowing Lilly the time to develop.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Faulk isn't a bad comparison, and we would be very happy with that.

The thing I see about Liljegren is that he seems to get noticing better every game.

Leafs deserve some credit here for allowing Lilly the time to develop.
I do not think Keefe dud a good job with either Lilly or Sandin. Too much sitting.
It looks like Lilly has turned the corner.
He now is playing with skill and confidence to influence the game. Sandin is still trying to survive a game. Sandin skating limits his ability to have to have positive effect.

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
I do not think Keefe dud a good job with either Lilly or Sandin. Too much sitting.
It looks like Lilly has turned the corner.
He now is playing with skill and confidence to influence the game. Sandin is still trying to survive a game. Sandin skating limits his ability to have to have positive effect.

The sitting is questionable, I agree. However, I cannot argue with the results we've been seeing. Maybe there was a method to the madness.

Sandin is his own player, therefore, a completely different conversation. I'm not sure what Keefe could have done to improve his mobility.

I don't compare Sandin to Liljegren, I've never been big on Sandin.

Last edited:

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
The sitting is questionable, I agree. However, I cannot argue with the results we've been seeing. Maybe there was a method to the madness.

Sandin is his own player, therefore, a completely different conversation. I'm not sure what Keefe could have done to improve his mobility.

I don't compare Sandin to Liljegren, I've never been big on Sandin.
I have said before, Sandin needs to be a Ray Bourque style dman or he goes to AHL.
So Keefe either let's him play or gets a new man, imho

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
thri-LILLY-ng ………..is this steady , blue collar , tough , strong , intelligent, heady , mature , on and on …young player really be something special ?
Any thoughts ?
GLG

Not sure he will ever reach the plateau of something special but I think with the right partner he can be a solid stay at home dman probably toping out around 30 to 40 pts a season.

I have said before, Sandin needs to be a Ray Bourque style dman or he goes to AHL.
So Keefe either let's him play or gets a new man, imho

Sandin need to go to the farm to work on his game. he takes too many risks or more accurately he makes way too many mistakes trying to force play. Sandin thinks he's the next coming of Bourque while in reality he is playing like Ceci.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
His development from 1st game I watched him with Marlies has been exponential .. he always had speed but his game as a D now has really matured and his strength on his skates and on puck with stick has developed aka Naz like from those early Marlie days .. gotta give Dubie credit here this kid is tracking D development like no other Leaf D in a long long time .. imagine 2/3 years from now at same exponential growth levels OMG you are talking about one of best in NHL here .. he has SPEED, POWER, SIZE and developing better D zone play by da minute

Reactions: Teeder Keon and kb

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Probably overtake him soon

Apparently Lilly was an offence first dman who drove the play when he was drafted. If that is the case with his penchant to play physical and potential to drive offence (which I have not seen) would be the 1st Leaf Dman since who ( besides Rilley) to have a well rounded game?

Reactions: Teeder Keon

definedMF

Apr 19, 2013
Big Yellow Joint
Lily should never sit, kid is literally my personally most protected prospect. Right handed d-man, with skill, great skating and smart simple plays. People tend to forget he was an offensive force in the AHL too.

In 150 games he has 74 points.

Reactions: aingefan and geo25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad