Proposal: Three Way | COL - ANA - CHI

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I agree that Manson fills a need. But, is there no other 2nd pairing defensive RHD that we could get without giving up 2 good prospects, a 1st, a 3rd, and Compher? Or, for that matter, do we even really need to replace EJ, given how we'll we've been playing defensively without him?

The team also just recovered from LaCroix's tenure, when he traded every good prospect for immediate help, and I don't understand why so many Avs fans are clamoring to return to that type of team building? Were the last 15 years not painful enough?
I feel like Manson could be had a lot cheaper but.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
To Colorado
Ryan Getzlaf (50% retained by Chicago)
Josh Manson
Malcom Subban

To Anaheim
Conor Timmins/Justin Barron
1st round pick (from Colorado)
Alex Beaucage/Sampo Ranta

To Chicago
JT Compher
4th round pick (from Colorado)

1st + 4th + Timmins/Barron + Beaucage/Ranta + Compher is a pretty big price to pay for those pieces.

Maybe it would be ok if it was Timmins and Beaucage rather than Barron and Ranta (as Barron's timeline works better, and Ranta has much better skating that suits the Avs better), but even then if we're moving those types of assets I'd rather target players who suit the Avs style a bit better and/or aren't coming off major surgery and an injury-riddled season.

As others have mentioned we'd also be paying the price for Manson for 2 playoff runs, but likely lose him to Seattle. Rather just go after Savard for one season.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
To Colorado
Ryan Getzlaf (50% retained by Chicago)
Josh Manson
Malcom Subban

To Anaheim
Conor Timmins/Justin Barron
1st round pick (from Colorado)
Alex Beaucage/Sampo Ranta

To Chicago
JT Compher
4th round pick (from Colorado)

Why the hell would Hawks do this? This is horrible for Hawks

A 4th rounder isn't worth retaining on Getzlaf and taking on Compher

Hawks are not taking on Compher's two years remaining for a 4th round pick

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
Not true. They get him for one run. No way Seattle takes Graves over Manson (and there is no way we can protect him and we kind of need them to take Graves for cap reasons) and overall this makes things just harder down the line for the Avs.

I also highly doubt that Chicago would be willing to do that. Capspace is at a premium and they could get way more for that 3.5m than a 4th+Compher.

I am with IWSAMGM on this one. Don't trade your 1st or RHD prospects. We are going to need all the cheap depth very soon and unfortunately the cap will be a real issue even starting next year depending on how much certain extensions will cost us.

I am not willing to completely screw us 2-3 years from now just for minor- at best medium type upgrades in a weird year. Same goes for the goalie.

Avs fans are also out to lunch IMO if they are asking for a high quality goalie the way Grubauer has been performing. Who cares who backs up Grubauer as long as Bednar is willing to play Werner/Miska enough and not overwork Grubi? Sure a great backup would be nice but we probably can't win a cup if Grubi goes down anyways this season so why bother wasting a ton of assets?
We will have to go through Vegas and one of STL/MIN regardless of how many games we win in the regular season. I am not spending good assets for 2-3 extra regular season wins this year.

I expect a very quiet deadline for the Avs (and in general for most teams) with Sakic maybe willing to move one of our russian prospects in Zhuravlyov or Kovalenko+ maybe a couple of mid round picks and see what he can get for that. And honestly I am perfectly fine with that. Especially if the rumor about Newhook joining the Avs are true (have my doubts but still).

But unless I am misreading you, those assets don't just win you the regular season games but can make the difference in shortening a series. Or they can make the difference between winning and losing a series. I'd like to think that we'd get a pick/prospect or both included in some deal/s.
The Avs will likely be a favorable landing spot for quite a few UFAs and are unlikely to be on just a ton of no-trade lists.
Cap out, Cap in. Yes, Landy, Cale and Nate are due. I don't think Sakic will gut the team of it's prospect pool for nothing. TB managed to reload quite a few times. The time is now, if there ever was or will be.
It is obviously a balancing act, but Sakic has been adept at bringing in players like Burky/Saad/Kadri as risky players and having them slot in just fine.
Hopefully you can get some of the core to take a little discount to make a few runs. I know, extremely unlikely.

If Sakic does what you say, I could believe it. If Franky is anticipated being back soon enough to knock the rust off, he's probably content to ride the goalie situation out with a cheap 3G again. Insurance is always good, though.
He has been patient with Jost and it is starting to look like yet another good move.

But, HF is what it is and people love to dream stuff up (some of it is even sorta realistic) and just have fun, so here we are.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs seemed to offer a lot especially for Manson. He could be lost in the expansion draft which would be a disaster and believe he's still hurt after returning from a 6 week injury.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
They’re only giving up Subban tho lol. If he’s the deal breaker, they can keep him lol.
Then your trade falls apart lol looks to me chicago helps both ducks and aves...don't think chicago would do this ever lol

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Avs fans are also out to lunch IMO if they are asking for a high quality goalie the way Grubauer has been performing. Who cares who backs up Grubauer as long as Bednar is willing to play Werner/Miska enough and not overwork Grubi? Sure a great backup would be nice but we probably can't win a cup if Grubi goes down anyways this season so why bother wasting a ton of assets?
We will have to go through Vegas and one of STL/MIN regardless of how many games we win in the regular season. I am not spending good assets for 2-3 extra regular season wins this year.

a decent backup is definitely still a priority.

it’s entirely possible for Grubauer to get an injury and it not be for the remainder of the season. As of now, we can still miss the playoffs with a Grubauer injury (say 4 weeks).

Are you willing to risk an entire playoff run simply because we have no NHl calibre backup on the roster?

we don’t even need a high quality backup right. Just someone NHL-worthy.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
this is very much just a chicago's "happy to be involved" type proposal

very little incentive for bowman to do this and have his boss eat a bunch of real world dollars just to return a middling pick and a meh player like compher

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

it’s entirely possible for Grubauer to get an injury and it not be for the remainder of the season. As of now, we can still miss the playoffs with a Grubauer injury (say 4 weeks).

Are you willing to risk an entire playoff run simply because we have no NHl calibre backup on the roster?

If he's willing to chase a Cup, I've been saying Miller for a conditional 4th round pick. Becomes a 3rd if Avs win the Cup or Miller plays 50% of all playoff games, becomes a 2nd if Avs win the Cup AND Miller plays at 50% of all playoff games.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

I am fine with them bringing in a guy like Dubnyk if he comes cheap enough. I am not fine with spending any premium assets for it and I am certainly not fine with trading a lot for the likes of Merzlikins like a surprising amount of Avs fans on here seem very willing to do in order to create an #1a/#1b scenario. We weren't even talking only a 1st. There recently was a proposal from Avs fans (!) IIRC that had Newhook going the other way (it was Elvis+ Savard + something else (maybe even Foligno)) but still. That is just crazy talk to me and makes no sense with Grubauer playing the way he is. Cheap insurance is fine with me. I am just not willing to give up a lot for a goalie that will very likely mean we are screwed anyways in the playoffs if he has to start. Bernier would be best but given how bad the market is, he might get a 2nd + and that is way too much to give up from an Avs POV IMO.

I also don't think we are in any risk of missing the playoffs if just Grubauer goes down. If he + multiple of our guys goes down (not unlikely given our recent injury luck but again if it happens we were never going to win a cup anyways) it might get closer but I still think a bad backup goaltender would be good enough to get them over the hump.
I really feel for Miska and was shocked that he deleted his twitter (hope Avs fans were not the massive jerks to him that I fear they were) but the Avs honestly would be fine with a .900 type of goalie and there are probably ways to get your hands on someone like that (or just hope Werner or Frankie (how long can he really be out?) can do the job till Grubi is back.

The thing is that you need luck to win a cup. Losing your #1 G is the opposite of that and usually spells doom for any team that has to deal with that in the playoffs. You can't really hedge against that IMO and its not really worth it as long as Sakic can make it clear to Bednar that he is not allowed to overwork Grubauer and that he should just be fine with losing a couple of extra regular season games instead. Not easy for coaches probably but I think Bednar could manage.

Reactions: Patagonia

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I am fine with them bringing in a guy like Dubnyk if he comes cheap enough. I am not fine with spending any premium assets for it and I am certainly not fine with trading a lot for the likes of Merzlikins like a surprising amount of Avs fans on here seem very willing to do in order to create an #1a/#1b scenario. We weren't even talking only a 1st. There recently was a proposal from Avs fans (!) IIRC that had Newhook going the other way (it was Elvis+ Savard + something else (maybe even Foligno)) but still. That is just crazy talk to me and makes no sense with Grubauer playing the way he is. Cheap insurance is fine with me. I am just not willing to give up a lot for a goalie that will very likely mean we are screwed anyways in the playoffs if he has to start. Bernier would be best but given how bad the market is, he might get a 2nd + and that is way too much to give up from an Avs POV IMO.

I also don't think we are in any risk of missing the playoffs if just Grubauer goes down. If he + multiple of our guys goes down (not unlikely given our recent injury luck but again if it happens we were never going to win a cup anyways) it might get closer but I still think a bad backup goaltender would be good enough to get them over the hump.
I really feel for Miska and was shocked that he deleted his twitter (hope Avs fans were not the massive jerks to him that I fear they were) but the Avs honestly would be fine with a .900 type of goalie and there are probably ways to get your hands on someone like that (or just hope Werner or Frankie (how long can he really be out?) can do the job till Grubi is back.

The thing is that you need luck to win a cup. Losing your #1 G is the opposite of that and usually spells doom for any team that has to deal with that in the playoffs. You can't really hedge against that IMO and its not really worth it as long as Sakic can make it clear to Bednar that he is not allowed to overwork Grubauer and that he should just be fine with losing a couple of extra regular season games instead. Not easy for coaches probably but I think Bednar could manage.

AVs style of play has also changed with the rash of injuries and lack G backup. They’re more focused on defence with shot suppression and firing more pucks than pretty passing plays. G and 3C are still a need, but they’re trying to minimize Grubs workload until they can get a reliable backup.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Chicago needs subban to expose him for the expansion draft from what I understand. They would have to get another goalie back who they can expose, and a lot more and better picks than a lousy 4th.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
So basically you just added Chicago to this deal to get f***ed and give better value to both other teams right?

The hawks pick up almost 10 mil in cap dumps (one with a three year contract) and trade a young backup goalie who’s played surprisingly well this year.... all for a fourth round pick? That’s a lot of real money Chicago is gonna have to pay out all for a fourth rounder. Extremely expensive fourth round pick especially when you consider the lack of revenue teams are currently generating.

Last edited:
Reactions: jls24

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I just see compher and a 4th going to Chicago. No 1, 2 or 3rd. Just a cap dump and a 4th.
Correct, that is why this trade doesn't happen. Chicago holds the cards by being willing to eat salary so others can make deadline deals.
If (IF) another team wanted Subban we can debate his value but for this discussion lets say his value is a 4th rounder.

So Chicago gives up Subban in return for a 4th.

Now answer this;
What is Chicago getting paid for taking an overpaid guy (Compher) they do not want as a cap dump so this deal can happen?
And this
What is Chicago getting paid to eat 1/2 of Getzlaf's cap hit so this deal can happen?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Y'all are forgetting how good Compher plays against Chicago, all he needs is to go home to blossom into a wonderful player for you. Really, you're getting a discount.

Used-Cars-Kurt-Russell-1980-comedy-movie.jpg

63 others

Mar 3, 2018
Fair.

In that case, I get the idea behind the trade, but I'm not a big fan of trading our 1st, or either of our potential EJ replacements (Timmins/Barron). Contributors on ELCs will become extremely important in the near future, and we're well positioned to be able to reload from the prospect pool as guys get too expensive to keep. I don't think we should sacrifice that for a single run, this early in the process.
Timmins wont replace EJ

Well after longer thought, he might on the IR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad