1st round pick (from Colorado)
Alex Beaucage/Sampo Ranta

To Chicago
JT Compher
4th round pick (from Colorado)

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Getz has said multiple times that he doesn't want to chase The Cup/wants to retire as a one team player. GM has also said that he isn't asking Getz to waive his NMC (unless he came to them to do so).

(do have to admit though that it's nice/strange to read a Anaheim proposal that doesn't involve getting Kerfoot shoved down their throat...)

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
He likely doesn’t. But this is the Internet.

Fair.

In that case, I get the idea behind the trade, but I'm not a big fan of trading our 1st, or either of our potential EJ replacements (Timmins/Barron). Contributors on ELCs will become extremely important in the near future, and we're well positioned to be able to reload from the prospect pool as guys get too expensive to keep. I don't think we should sacrifice that for a single run, this early in the process.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Fair.

In that case, I get the idea behind the trade, but I'm not a big fan of trading our 1st, or either of our potential EJ replacements (Timmins/Barron). Contributors on ELCs will become extremely important in the near future, and we're well positioned to be able to reload from the prospect pool as guys get too expensive to keep. I don't think we should sacrifice that for a single run, this early in the process.
Colorado gets Manson for 2 runs. He’s the EJ replacement this year and next (if EJ really is LTIRetiring). That’s why I proposed Manson. If EJ is healthy there’s no need for Manson.

Reactions: Brett44

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Colorado gets Manson for 2 runs. He’s the EJ replacement this year and next (if EJ really is LTIRetiring). That’s why I proposed Manson. If EJ is healthy there’s no need for Manson.

Not true. They get him for one run. No way Seattle takes Graves over Manson (and there is no way we can protect him and we kind of need them to take Graves for cap reasons) and overall this makes things just harder down the line for the Avs.

I also highly doubt that Chicago would be willing to do that. Capspace is at a premium and they could get way more for that 3.5m than a 4th+Compher.

I am with IWSAMGM on this one. Don't trade your 1st or RHD prospects. We are going to need all the cheap depth very soon and unfortunately the cap will be a real issue even starting next year depending on how much certain extensions will cost us.

I am not willing to completely screw us 2-3 years from now just for minor- at best medium type upgrades in a weird year. Same goes for the goalie.

Avs fans are also out to lunch IMO if they are asking for a high quality goalie the way Grubauer has been performing. Who cares who backs up Grubauer as long as Bednar is willing to play Werner/Miska enough and not overwork Grubi? Sure a great backup would be nice but we probably can't win a cup if Grubi goes down anyways this season so why bother wasting a ton of assets?
We will have to go through Vegas and one of STL/MIN regardless of how many games we win in the regular season. I am not spending good assets for 2-3 extra regular season wins this year.

I expect a very quiet deadline for the Avs (and in general for most teams) with Sakic maybe willing to move one of our russian prospects in Zhuravlyov or Kovalenko+ maybe a couple of mid round picks and see what he can get for that. And honestly I am perfectly fine with that. Especially if the rumor about Newhook joining the Avs are true (have my doubts but still).

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Not true. They get him for one run. No way Seattle takes Graves over Manson (and there is no way we can protect him and we kind of need them to take Graves for cap reasons) and overall this makes things just harder down the line for the Avs.

In that case, trade him back to Anaheim for future considerations just before the draft, Anaheim protects him, and sends him back after the expansion draft for future considerations and hope Seattle takes Shattenkirk from Anaheim :naughty:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
In that case, trade him back to Anaheim for future considerations just before the draft, Anaheim protects him, and sends him back after the expansion draft for future considerations and hope Seattle takes Shattenkirk from Anaheim :naughty:

I'm sure Seattle will totally be fine with this lol.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I also highly doubt that Chicago would be willing to do that. Capspace is at a premium and they could get way more for that 3.5m than a 4th+Compher.

I am with IWSAMGM on this one. Don't trade your 1st or RHD prospects. We are going to need all the cheap depth very soon and unfortunately the cap will be a real issue even starting next year depending on how much certain extensions will cost us.

I am not willing to completely screw us 2-3 years from now just for minor- at best medium type upgrades in a weird year. Same goes for the goalie.

Avs fans are also out to lunch IMO if they are asking for a high quality goalie the way Grubauer has been performing. Who cares who backs up Grubauer as long as Bednar is willing to play Werner/Miska enough and not overwork Grubi? Sure a great backup would be nice but we probably can't win a cup if Grubi goes down anyways this season so why bother wasting a ton of assets?
We will have to go through Vegas and one of STL/MIN regardless of how many games we win in the regular season. I am not spending good assets for 2-3 extra regular season wins this year.

I expect a very quiet deadline for the Avs (and in general for most teams) with Sakic maybe willing to move one of our russian prospects in Zhuravlyov or Kovalenko+ maybe a couple of mid round picks and see what he can get for that. And honestly I am perfectly fine with that. Especially if the rumor about Newhook joining the Avs are true (have my doubts but still).
With Compher already off the books in this hypothetical situation, the Avs don’t need Seattle to take Graves in expansion. If they took Manson it’s even more money off the books.

The price might be steep. Joe Sakic is Colorado’s gm so he likely doesn’t pay what I proposed. But the players involved all make a lot of sense

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
With Compher already off the books in this hypothetical situation, the Avs don’t need Seattle to take Graves in expansion. If they took Manson it’s even more money off the books.

The price might be steep. Joe Sakic is Colorado’s gm so he likely doesn’t pay what I proposed. But the players involved all make a lot of sense

I think Manson and Subban in a vacuum make a ton of sense for the Avs. But if you factor in price and the expansion draft it doesn't as much.
Key in all of this will also be how Sakic evaluates the EJ and Francouz situation.
They know a lot more about this than we do and that will heavily impact on what they are looking for.

I don't think Getzlaf would be a good fit at all. He is the level of talent that might be able to make it work regardless but I wouldn't really want to gamble on it.

I agree that getting rid off Compher would make things easier but as I said I think that would cost us way more than a 4th (no chance Chicago does that IMO) and I am not willing to pay much more to get rid off it. I am not happy with him but if he is your biggest problem on your roster, you are usually in good shape and he will be off the books the moment the Mac crunch really comes into effect.

I fully expect the Avs to heavily start bleeding talent over the next 2-3 years so I am not willing to spend as freely as 90% of the Avs fans on here seem to. I don't think any of these moves really put you over the top and make you a clear favorite against teams like Vegas and especially Tampa so I am not willing to sell the farm on a weird year like this. IMO there is little chance Saad stays longterm (could see another 1 year deal but I think he will have better offers). Same goes for Burakovsky and Kadri after their contracts are up. And we really won't have the money to replace them due to the flat cap for probably the next 4 years. We really need Newhook to pan out (and probably a few of Kaut/Bowers/Ranta/Foudy as well) and probably make some very good trades to not fall off. I'd rather save up till then instead of making moves in this very weird year where rentals and short term acquisitions will have an even worse success rate than usual (due to quarantine and lack of opportunities to build chemistry).

Weren't you the one with some sort of connections or atleast with an ear on the ground in his home region? Any news on if these rumors I heard last night about him potentially joining the Avs are true?
Not sure if he is ready (doubt it) and not sure burning a year of his contract would be worth it but that would be one option to atleast give our bottom 6 a certain spark...

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

I agree that Manson fills a need. But, is there no other 2nd pairing defensive RHD that we could get without giving up 2 good prospects, a 1st, a 3rd, and Compher? Or, for that matter, do we even really need to replace EJ, given how we'll we've been playing defensively without him?

The team also just recovered from LaCroix's tenure, when he traded every good prospect for immediate help, and I don't understand why so many Avs fans are clamoring to return to that type of team building? Were the last 15 years not painful enough?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad