Three Trades the Leafs Should Make

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Come to think of it, this might be first time this year that I've read someone be absurdly negative about Gardiner. People really have come around to the idea that he might not be an AHL-caliber player after all.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
As most have said, that TOR/CHI trade was horrific. Two anchor contracts and we have to trade Gardiner whilst only getting back a 2nd rounder and a b prospect? No thanks

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I apologize those who mentioned Nilsson was a part of the Grabner deal, you are correct. I didn't realize he was a part of the deal and switched Nilsson for a late round draft pick.

As for the Bickell/Scuderi/Hartman for Gardiner and Boyes. Would you be as opposed to it if Chicago included a 3rd round pick in 2016 or a 2017 second round pick ? I know some Leaf fans are fond of Gardiner and value him higher than others. I will say I do like Gardiner's offensive upside but at the same time calling him the Leafs best defensemen.. is that really saying much based on who's there.

I realized I'd take heat for the write up, and its warranted as the Nilsson error was amateur.

Gardiner is worth a lot more than two capdumps and a B prospect, simple as that. Whether you're a fan of him or not, the valuation is way off.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
As most have said, that TOR/CHI trade was horrific. Two anchor contracts and we have to trade Gardiner whilst only getting back a 2nd rounder and a b prospect? No thanks

Exactly, NO THANKS!

I don't think I'd do the Howard deal either, unless, Detroit added a 1st rounder instead of the 3rd pick to the deal.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The Gardiner trade:laugh:

brutal, this isn't the Toronto Maple Leafs charitable foundation, the Leafs would have no interest in helping Chicago's cap situation w/o something in return, the Leafs already have a Ryan Hartman type several times over in the system, so he wouldn't be the guy

so Chicago can keep Hartman, they can keep Scuderi they can keep the 2nd

and hand over Ville Pokka and Nick Schmaltz, if they want the Leafs to take on the Bickell anchor

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
To Toronto: Bryan Bickell, Rob Scuderi and Ryan Hartman
To Chicago: Jake Gardiner and Brad Boyes

how_about_no_evil.jpg

What's in this for the leafs exactly? Bickell is done.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Detroit trade: Ryan Sproul is a 3rd year pro who is subject to waivers next season. He has a very limited value as a prospect. Taking on a mediocre goalie who makes more for a longer term for another mediocre goalie for a 3rd round pick makes little sense. Poor value for the Leafs and a poor understanding of how player values in the NHL work.

Chicago trade: Hartman is a B prospect. He has a diminishing value. A Chicago 2nd round pick is a very late 2nd round pick. None of that is worth Gardiner alone not to mention taking on two contracts that can't really play in the NHL any longer. I wouldn't trade Gardiner for Chicago's 1st and Hartman let alone what was suggested.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
My god....even people who do not watch the team are making absurd trade proposals.

LOL - caught that. :D

1 of the 3 proposals were OK (the PAP one), but we could be a little more courteous, no? Plenty of lopsided proposals floating around, even from this fan base.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
The PAP trade is realistic, but i would prefer the Leafs to NOT trade him to the Devils.

The Devils are currently fighting with the Penguins for the last wildcard spot and i dont want to give the Devils any help, because i want that penguins first rather than the Pens 2nd and the Devils 2nd

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Gardiner has morphed into a very stable dependable #1 d-man for the buds. Trading him would be nothing short of stupid.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I never clicked the link but from what I gather, these are awful trades. That Chicago one has to be the most non-sensical trade proposal I've ever seen. Why would the Leafs do that?

Can we kill this thread with fire? Why hasn't it been moved in the trade proposal thread?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The PAP trade is realistic, but i would prefer the Leafs to NOT trade him to the Devils.

The Devils are currently fighting with the Penguins for the last wildcard spot and i dont want to give the Devils any help, because i want that penguins first rather than the Pens 2nd and the Devils 2nd

I bet Lou has an eye on that situation. I suspect he wants the first as much as we do.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
This might have been the worst article I've ever read. Never clicking a link from that website ever again, I wish I could take my click back.

The Gardiner trade was just.... I don't even have words.

The second one was bad too. Why would you want to "get out of" Gardiners contract, but acquire Howard's? Logic isn't your thing, is it?

The last one, I expect Lou to pull out more for PAP.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Howard? This year ranking amount 85 goalies,,,,62nd in GAA, 63rd Save%.

Howard is not a # 1 goalie and at 5.3m a year, Detroit will have to keep him unless they receive bad money back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad