Three Trades the Leafs Should Make

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
For those interested we at Prospects Hockey took a stab at Three Trades the Leafs Should Make prior to Monday's NHL Trade Deadline.

https://prospectshockey.wordpress.com/2016/02/26/three-trades-the-leafs-should-make/

I do respect that everybody has an opinion on player value and what they'd like to see the Leafs obtain in future trades, these are simply our thoughts. If you have an questions or comments don't hesitate to ask as I'm open to explain the thoughts provided. Enjoy !

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
To Toronto: Bryan Bickell, Rob Scuderi and Ryan Hartman
To Chicago: Jake Gardiner and Brad Boyes

how_about_no_evil.jpg

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
I'd be fine giving Bickell a chance during the rebuild to see how he does but no to that specific trade

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
For those interested we at Prospects Hockey took a stab at Three Trades the Leafs Should Make prior to Monday's NHL Trade Deadline.

https://prospectshockey.wordpress.com/2016/02/26/three-trades-the-leafs-should-make/

I do respect that everybody has an opinion on player value and what they'd like to see the Leafs obtain in future trades, these are simply our thoughts. If you have an questions or comments don't hesitate to ask as I'm open to explain the thoughts provided. Enjoy !

Alright... Have you guys watched Jake Gardiner play? Because I don't think you have. Not only has he been our second best defensemen (And his numbers represent that) but he is at a very modest cap hit. But yet you want to throw that ALL AWAY for Ryan Hartmen.... Who while is a great prospect is really nothing to talk about. Thanks but no thanks. Next time please put A LITTLE more thought into your articles because this is just horrid. Bryan Bickel is at the moment in the MINORS. He is not good enough and hinders the BEST TEAM in the NHL yet we are suppose to give up an asset to get him and ROB SCUDARI. Who by all accounts is in the same boat as Robidas who currently we are not even playing and is "injured".

So No this is not a trade the leafs "Should" make as it would be a complete mistake. To be frank even the Detroit trade makes little sense as Howard has fallen off and at least with Bernier we are rid of him in 1 year and not on the hook for 5.2 million over the next 3 years.

Seriously this has click bait written all over it...

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Gee that's a lot of words for a pair of lame proposals and an obvious one that anybody could make. I mean 3 paragraphs to justify Parenteau for a 2nd round pick lol. I've seen better stuff in the trade rumors forum.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
tom nilsson was traded to the islanders for grabner. so that first trade is invalid. and even if we had nilsson, the trade is awful. id rather ride out bernier than take on howard's albatross contract.

giving up gardiner (who has been good this season) and taking on bickell and scuderi and all we get is hartman? hell no.

PAP trade is realistic.

your trade proposals suck.

Tigerarmy

Aug 1, 2011
The first two are terrible for Toronto.
The third one is realistic

I only like the last one, Parenteau for a 2nd. I disagree with you about the Leafs wanting out of Gardiner's contract. It's actually starting to look decent. Would need a high pick or top prospect to move Gardiner and that's iffy. Not to mention taking on Bickell's contract. Would need to make it worth Toronto's while

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I apologize those who mentioned Nilsson was a part of the Grabner deal, you are correct. I didn't realize he was a part of the deal and switched Nilsson for a late round draft pick.

As for the Bickell/Scuderi/Hartman for Gardiner and Boyes. Would you be as opposed to it if Chicago included a 3rd round pick in 2016 or a 2017 second round pick ? I know some Leaf fans are fond of Gardiner and value him higher than others. I will say I do like Gardiner's offensive upside but at the same time calling him the Leafs best defensemen.. is that really saying much based on who's there.

I realized I'd take heat for the write up, and its warranted as the Nilsson error was amateur.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I can understand if some just didn't like Gardiner. But it seems silly to argue that the Leafs need to make a trade to get out from under it. Have you seen the cap space we've got? 4 million cap hit for a top 4 D is hardly killing the Leafs. Gardiner is producing and frankly we need to keep some guys with NHL experience on the blue line.

I don't mind the idea of saying the Leafs will need some size/skill balance, but you don't dump Gardiner for that.

Trading Paranteau for a second? Yeah, that's fine. A bit obvious, but not wrong. He's created good value and the Leafs should cash in on that.

Nothing really against Howard. The Leafs do need to figure out their goaltending plans. Either keep one of Reimer/Bernier, or lose both of them and go with another option.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I apologize those who mentioned Nilsson was a part of the Grabner deal, you are correct. I didn't realize he was a part of the deal and switched Nilsson for a late round draft pick.

As for the Bickell/Scuderi/Hartman for Gardiner and Boyes. Would you be as opposed to it if Chicago included a 3rd round pick in 2016 or a 2017 second round pick ? I know some Leaf fans are fond of Gardiner and value him higher than others. I will say I do like Gardiner's offensive upside but at the same time calling him the Leafs best defensemen.. is that really saying much based on who's there.

I realized I'd take heat for the write up, and its warranted as the Nilsson error was amateur.

The Gardiner trade does nothing at all for us. We need centers and D, not a finished D, overpaid winger and another prospect winger of which we have plenty. No.
The Parenteau trade yes.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
So this is what its like to be a fan of another team and their trade proposals.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So management isn't fond of paying a top pairing defender (which he is, Gards is elite defensively) 4 million and change a year?

I mean come on.

Only way we take Howard is if Lupul goes the other way.

Third one is fine.

Scratch

Jan 3, 2016
We just moved out two important defense man, trading Gardiner basically reduces our defense to an AHL squad. Gardiner has responded very well to Babcock and I'm no longer on board with moving him anywhere unless it's for a significant return. Dismantling the D-corps at the beginning of a rebuild is foolish. It takes twice as long to develop Defense to forwards. We don't have Ziatsev yet, so until that happens.... lay off the D-men.

Three Leafs that need to move are ....
KADRI; Has value and can bring a significant return. I don't think he's part of the future.
RIEMER: As a rental he could bring a 2nd rd pick, then the possibility of resigning him next season is still there.
PARENTEAU: I love how he has played for us, he can come back next year if the Leafs were so inclined and I wouldn't complain. His 16 goals represent significant return... probably a good 2nd rd pick.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Or... we don't do the first two trades... and we get more than just a second for PAP.

Franson and Santorelli got us a 1st and Leipsic last year.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
The Howard for Bernier idea is interesting... but we're going to need something a heck of a lot better than what was proposed. But Detroit's probably got some good, young players that could make it happen.

pedis

brochefs
Mar 14, 2014
mars
terrible trade proposals and even with PAP I think lou will snake us more than just a 2nd rounder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad