Larry Brooks: Three Rangers file for salary arbitration

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
He'll most likely split the difference but what worries me is that if he doesn't, I see the arbitrator giving Kreider more than the middle as opposed to giving him less than the middle.

$2.425M is the middle. Kreider at $2.5M is a good deal. 5 years ago,the Rangers gave Ryan Callahan $2.3M per for 2 years. The cap was $56.8M. Now its $69M. The Rangers are paying for their success. Whether its $2.3M or $2.4M or $2.5M,Kreider is a top 6 winger who provides size on a team sorely lacking in size.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
@NYP_Brooksie: No agreement in sight, Kreider and #NYR appear headed to arbitration hearing in Toronto tomorrow morning.

Meh, these things sometimes get worked out right before arbitration even if it appears like it won't happen

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Zuccarello, who emerged as an integral part of the game plan at even-strength and on both specialty teams with Alain Vigneault behind the bench, will likely command in the neighborhood of $4.5 million per year long-term.

The signing leaves the Rangers with approximately $9.5 million in space with which to sign restricted free agents Kreider, Derick Brassard and John Moore, and fill another depth spot or two on the roster. Brassard, in the same contractual situation as Zuccarello, is continuing to negotiate for a long-term deal in advance of his scheduled Monday hearing. Moore, who is not eligible for arbitration, will likely play for close to his qualifier of $850,000.

http://nypost.com/2014/07/22/ranger...w&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Only problem with Moore is other comparable players are getting more than $850,000. Moore has no leverage but he is worth more than $850,000. Vatanen and Orlov were not arbitration eligible. Moore needs to be in camp but the Rangers need Moore in camp too.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
http://nypost.com/2014/07/22/ranger...w&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Only problem with Moore is other comparable players are getting more than $850,000. Moore has no leverage but he is worth more than $850,000. Vatanen and Orlov were not arbitration eligible. Moore needs to be in camp but the Rangers need Moore in camp too.

Moore needs the Rangers more than the Rangers need Moore. He has exactly no leverage and sitting out will massively hurt a player like him.

Again, he doesn't put up significant points, got very soft minutes, and doesn't have any kind of hype around him like he's a big talent waiting to break out. He needs to prove he's worth a good contract and he's not going to prove that by holding out. Right now he's basically the definition of a replaceable part, and hell I even like Moore and think he can be developed into a real good player.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Moore needs the Rangers more than the Rangers need Moore. He has exactly no leverage and sitting out will massively hurt a player like him.

Again, he doesn't put up significant points, got very soft minutes, and doesn't have any kind of hype around him like he's a big talent waiting to break out. He needs to prove he's worth a good contract and he's not going to prove that by holding out. Right now he's basically the definition of a replaceable part, and hell I even like Moore and think he can be developed into a real good player.

Moore isn't an essential player but he can become an important player. We aren't talking about a Del Zotto 2nd contract. Moore doesn't have the numbers for that. He should get more than his qualifying offer.

2 year bridge contract worth $1M plus

Kreider and Moore are expected to receive two-year bridge deals in the neighborhood of $2 million-plus and $1 million-plus, respectively.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...ello-brassard-article-1.1876328#ixzz38I7NMfpS

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Kreider has a hearing this morning. Roussel signed right before his hearing yesterday. Dubinsky signed before his hearing in 2011. They delayed the hearing to see if a deal could be reached.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Moore probably loses his spot to Allen if he holds out. That'd be fine with me.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Blueshirts are attempting to negotiate a long-term deal with Brassard, who is scheduled for an arbitration hearing on Monday. The center, eligible to become an unrestricted free agent next summer, will be in the $5 million to $5.5 million neighborhood on a multi-year contract. If Brassard winds up either going to arbitration or signing a one-year deal, the number would be closer to $4.5 million for this season.

Moore lacks both arbitration rights and leverage. The club’s sixth defenseman will likely play on a one-year deal for close to his qualifier of $850,000.

http://nypost.com/2014/07/23/rangers-kreider-agree-on-2-47m-deal-at-last-minute/

Bryan Little. 5 years. $4.7M. Same player. Same age.

One year of Moore? With the Rangers luck,Moore will blossom and he will cost $3M plus in salary arbitration next summer on a 1 year deal. Its better to pay a little more this summer and make it a 2 year bridge deal. The Rangers will have more than enough contract headaches next July.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
A long-term deal for Brassard is likely to come with a cap hit in the neighborhood of $5.2 million to $5.6 million per season. If, however, the parties can’t agree on a multi-year contract and indeed do go to arbitration, a one-year award would likely be closer to $4.5 million.

The Rangers would then have to negotiate a long-term extension with Brassard in order to keep him off next summer’s open market as they are now charged with doing with Zuccarello, who signed a one-year, $3.5 million deal on Tuesday in advance of an arbitration hearing that had been scheduled for Friday.

John Moore, who lacks meaningful leverage, is expected to sign a one-year deal for close to his $850,000 qualifier. There is no reason for the Rangers, who are going to need to conserve space throughout the year in order to be players at the trade deadline, to throw even an extra nickel at their sixth defenseman. There is no upside to being “nice guys†in this case.

http://nypost.com/2014/07/23/rangers-kreider-agree-on-2-47m-deal-at-last-minute/

Little is at $4.7M for 5 years. 4 years of group III. The AAV of the group III years is $4.875M.

The Rangers better hope Moore doesn't have a really good year and is then worth $3M in salary arbitration next summer.

The Rangers cap troubles are not going away next summer.One year contract for Brassard isn't a very good situation. Staal and Zuccarello will be group IIIs. Why not one more?

What relic will the Rangers add at the trading deadline with their extra space?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
RangerBoy, If Moore plays well enough to command a $3 million cap hit, then I'll eat my metaphorical hat. And if that miraculous breakout happens, then they'll be guaranteed to let Staal walk to free up cap space.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Little is at $4.7M for 5 years. 4 years of group III. The AAV of the group III years is $4.875M.

The Rangers better hope Moore doesn't have a really good year and is then worth $3M in salary arbitration next summer.

The Rangers cap troubles are not going away next summer.One year contract for Brassard isn't a very good situation. Staal and Zuccarello will be group IIIs. Why not one more?

I don't think we make big moves at the deadline unless another prospect is ready to step in and go...

$4.7M for 5 years is a good deal for Brassard... I think his agent is spouting these BS numbers to "raise" Brassard's value... Luckily, Gorton and Sather are not new to this.

RangerBoy, If Moore plays well enough to command a $3 million cap hit, then I'll eat my metaphorical hat. And if that miraculous breakout happens, then they'll be guaranteed to let Staal walk to free up cap space.

VERY true about Moore.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005

RangerBoy, CBA question for you. Being that arbitration was elected by NYR couldn't they request a 2 year award even though Brass is a year away from UFA? To my knowledge the only time the 2nd year would be nullified would be if the salary rendered in arbitration was below league average (which it wouldn't be in the case of Brassard).

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
RangerBoy, CBA question for you. Being that arbitration was elected by NYR couldn't they request a 2 year award even though Brass is a year away from UFA? To my knowledge the only time the 2nd year would be nullified would be if the salary rendered in arbitration was below league average (which it wouldn't be in the case of Brassard).

Actually, Brassard elected the arbitration. If the team elects arbitration, the player has the option. If the player elects, the team has the option.

In Brassard's case, the Rangers can't choose 2 years. Arbitration only covers RFA years and 2015-16 is a UFA year for Brassard.

If he gets to arbitration, it will be a 1 year deal.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

We have seen players go from not being much to making good money based on one season. The Rangers have a guy in their team who received a huge raise this week. All it takes is one good year and being arbitration eligible.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Actually, Brassard elected the arbitration. If the team elects arbitration, the player has the option. If the player elects, the team has the option.

In Brassard's case, the Rangers can't choose 2 years. Arbitration only covers RFA years and 2015-16 is a UFA year for Brassard.

If he gets to arbitration, it will be a 1 year deal.

Thank you for the clarification GAGLine.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
We have seen players go from not being much to making good money based on one season. The Rangers have a guy in their team who received a huge raise this week. All it takes is one good year and being arbitration eligible.

Moore doesn't have anywhere near the untapped potential that Kreider does. There's very, very little chance he plays well enough to land that kind of a raise. But like I said before, it would be a good thing if Moore had that kind of year because it would make it very easy for them to bump him to the second pairing and not have to pay Staal. There's really no way Moore creates problems for our cap next year.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Bryan Little. 5 years. $4.7M. Same player. Same age.

One year of Moore? With the Rangers luck,Moore will blossom and he will cost $3M plus in salary arbitration next summer on a 1 year deal. Its better to pay a little more this summer and make it a 2 year bridge deal. The Rangers will have more than enough contract headaches next July.

Little is a much better player. Established top 6 center, proven goal scorer, PKer, PP, goes up against top level competition.

He isn't a 3rd line skilled center that has bouts of inconsistency. Brassard at 5+ is a terrible deal. Never cracked 20 goals, never cracked 50 points, doesn't PK. Doesn't go up against top competition.

Would be worse than Bolland contract, atleast Bolland can check players and do it well when not injured.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Moore doesn't have anywhere near the untapped potential that Kreider does. There's very, very little chance he plays well enough to land that kind of a raise. But like I said before, it would be a good thing if Moore had that kind of year because it would make it very easy for them to bump him to the second pairing and not have to pay Staal. There's really no way Moore creates problems for our cap next year.

I am talking about Zuccarello

If the Rangers play their cards right,they can strong arm Moore into taking a cheap two year contract. $1M in 14-15 and $1.5M in 15-16. $1.25M. Vatanen money.

Moore was stuck in the Del Zotto quagmire last season. One of them had to play the right side. That's no longer the case. Moore will be paired with Klein. Moore was better in the 2nd half of the season. He was better after suffering the concussion. Samuelsson gave him the homework assignment in Vancouver and they reviewed what he saw. Maybe he gets PP time with Boyle. McDonagh can't play the entire game. Build up the asset and trade it. The Rangers need assets after trading so many away in the last 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad