Thoughts on the newish Toyota 4Runner?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Well short update. I finally got them to go to a dealer today. The only 4 runner available was in the show room, so not a test vehicle.

This truck is so hard to find it makes me that more intrigued

I'm currently in the middle of purchasing a used car from my local Toyota dealer and it's crazy how they seem to have maybe like 5 new cars on the lot.

Another option to maybe consider is the Lexus GX. Similar capable underpinnings as the 4Runner but with a little more emphasis on luxury/comfort and with a V8 that has more power and especially torque while getting nearly the same gas mileage as the V6 4Runner.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I'm currently in the middle of purchasing a used car from my local Toyota dealer and it's crazy how they seem to have maybe like 5 new cars on the lot.

Another option to maybe consider is the Lexus GX. Similar capable underpinnings as the 4Runner but with a little more emphasis on luxury/comfort and with a V8 that has more power and especially torque while getting nearly the same gas mileage as the V6 4Runner.
Well the news on the street is they're looking at the Rav4 now. My Dad apparently said he wants a hybrid. I'm not opposed to the concept, i just dont trust the tech yet. I wanted them to have a well rounded vehicle with a heavy emphasis on reliability, hence my vote for the 4runner.

Sorry fellas, looks like we can put this one to bed

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Well the news on the street is they're looking at the Rav4 now. My Dad apparently said he wants a hybrid. I'm not opposed to the concept, i just dont trust the tech yet. I wanted them to have a well rounded vehicle with a heavy emphasis on reliability, hence my vote for the 4runner.

My girlfriend tested a non hybrid Rav, hated it. Truly gorgeous car inside and out but it drove horribly. Rough, sluggish, bulky feeling.

I have however, heard that the hybrid version (which wasn't due out for another few months at the time) is entirely different and drives more like a car than a tank. I wish she would have waited it out before buying her X1

Reactions: RichWVU

RichWVU

Sep 17, 2014

I swapped my 4th gen 4Runner for a 2020 Rav4 XLE Hybrid :) As far as a daily driver, I don't know if there's anything better on the road. 35-40mpg on regular fuel, AWD, decent ground clearance, plenty of interior space. All for $35k USD. I love the thing.

Like you, I'm still not 100% comfortable with Hybrid tech, so I sprung the extra grand for a full 7 year bumper to bumper warranty.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I swapped my 4th gen 4Runner for a 2020 Rav4 XLE Hybrid :) As far as a daily driver, I don't know if there's anything better on the road. 35-40mpg on regular fuel, AWD, decent ground clearance, plenty of interior space. All for $35k USD. I love the thing.

Like you, I'm still not 100% comfortable with Hybrid tech, so I sprung the extra grand for a full 7 year bumper to bumper warranty.
Well that gives me some piece of mind. Any idea how long the batteries are expected to last?

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
My girlfriend tested a non hybrid Rav, hated it. Truly gorgeous car inside and out but it drove horribly. Rough, sluggish, bulky feeling.

I have however, heard that the hybrid version (which wasn't due out for another few months at the time) is entirely different and drives more like a car than a tank. I wish she would have waited it out before buying her X1
He did think it was a smooth ride. But anything is better than a Ranger lol

Reactions: TD Charlie

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I dont mean to get the boys riled up, but this might still be an option.

I'm pushing hard lol

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
the plot thickens!

To be fair, it's a big purchase and it's best that they're doing their due diligence

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
the plot thickens!

To be fair, it's a big purchase and it's best that they're doing their due diligence
Buddy are you kidding me? Who doesn't love car shopping?? Lol. I'd have been out everyday looking and been done in a week :)

To be fair my dad's been on a black Friday shopping spree. 2 55" Samsung 4k tv's and 2 Samsung S20 phones.

But the scoop now is mother felt claustrophobic in the Rav4 they tested. And she liked the 4runner they saw, so they circled back to that dealer but it was gone. Just gotta hunt down another one now

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Buddy are you kidding me? Who doesn't love car shopping?? Lol. I'd have been out everyday looking and been done in a week :)

To be fair my dad's been on a black Friday shopping spree. 2 55" Samsung 4k tv's and 2 Samsung S20 phones.

But the scoop now is mother felt claustrophobic in the Rav4 they tested. And she liked the 4runner they saw, so they circled back to that dealer but it was gone. Just gotta hunt down another one now

Lovely choice. I steered my mother, father, and girlfriend into buying the same 55 inch Samsung in the last few years. They all love it.

I forget if the Rav is like this, but I remember the Avalon having an extremely low seat in reference to where the console sat and where the dash was. I'm just slightly taller than the average bear, so I rather enjoyed sitting low and feeling a little small for a change. The console height was so comfortable, made the cockpit feel like a leather Lazy Boy recliner!

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I've had two 4runners. Both new a 2005 Limited and a 2014 SR5. I liked the styling of the 14 better than the 2005. But, the V8 and suspension setup of the 2005 blew away the 2014. I found the 2005 seats more comfortable too. Both were virtually trouble-free. The 2005 went through brakes faster than I like, but other than brakes, belts, and oil changes nothing major was ever done, nor did it need to be done after 150,000 miles. The 2014 was a lease and all I did was change the oil.

I don't have many regrets, the one that I do have was trading in the 2005 for the 2014. I should have kept it.

Reactions: rynryn

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Well it's official. They ordered a '22 Rav4 Hybrid this morning. I believe the LE model. I just got the news so I dont have all the details yet. I'll do what I can to find the build online. All i know is its some metallic blue colour and beige leather interior. Wait time is apparently 4-5 months.

Wasn't my first choice but im happy to see them getting into something new :)

Reactions: Winger98

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Well it's official. They ordered a '22 Rav4 Hybrid this morning. I believe the LE model. I just got the news so I dont have all the details yet. I'll do what I can to find the build online. All i know is its some metallic blue colour and beige leather interior. Wait time is apparently 4-5 months.

Wasn't my first choice but im happy to see them getting into something new :)

I'm not sure they allow leather until much higher trims. Perhaps the Canadian build is more forgiving on that.

Either way, I think they'll love the choice! Sounds like the dealership was honest about the lead time as well, which is a very positive sign. So many shops claim 4-6 weeks on hybrids and it ends up being 4-6 months! It can't be a good sign to start the business relationship with such a bad lie.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I would've rather had the 4Runner personally.
Yep me too

I guess the silver lining here is he didn't go buy a Buick Century like every other 70 year old lol. The Ravs look pretty decent and at least it's AWD. It may prove to be a smart choice with the way gas prices are trending right now. At $1.56/litre which I believe is an all time high

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I'm not sure they allow leather until much higher trims. Perhaps the Canadian build is more forgiving on that.

Either way, I think they'll love the choice! Sounds like the dealership was honest about the lead time as well, which is a very positive sign. So many shops claim 4-6 weeks on hybrids and it ends up being 4-6 months! It can't be a good sign to start the business relationship with such a bad lie.
I think you are correct about the leather. But I was misinformed earlier and they in fact ordered the Limited model.

Have you ever ordered a new car before? I ask because I want the black rims and my dad is saying they do all those extra options at the dealer, after delivery. Stuff like rims, trailer hitch, stone chip guards etc. Does that make sense to you?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think you are correct about the leather. But I was misinformed earlier and they in fact ordered the Limited model.

Have you ever ordered a new car before? I ask because I want the black rims and my dad is saying they do all those extra options at the dealer, after delivery. Stuff like rims, trailer hitch, stone chip guards etc. Does that make sense to you?

theyll probably plasti-dip the rims in that case. If it’s an entirely different wheel n tire package then i think that would have to be ordered as such. It could go either way.

i haven’t ordered, but I’ve talked to countless people that have been ordering the new Sorento.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
theyll probably plasti-dip the rims in that case. If it’s an entirely different wheel n tire package then i think that would have to be ordered as such. It could go either way.

i haven’t ordered, but I’ve talked to countless people that have been ordering the new Sorento.
I'm just confused. My dads saying the salesman didnt even talk to him about options. Kind of his job no?

Let's say these options do get done at the dealer...i want the black rims....do I own the rims and tires it came with?

Lol i might just have to email the salesman myself. It's really none of my business but I'd hate my parents to be mislead / misinformed

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'm just confused. My dads saying the salesman didnt even talk to him about options. Kind of his job no?

Let's say these options do get done at the dealer...i want the black rims....do I own the rims and tires it came with?

Lol i might just have to email the salesman myself. It's really none of my business but I'd hate my parents to be mislead / misinformed

I would contact them asap. Pretty sure they're allowed to change the order until you get assigned a VIN

Options absolutely should've been discussed. Dealer add ons like floor mats and such might not come up until the car shows up at the lot, but everything else works basically the same way as you or I going through and building one on the website

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I would contact them asap. Pretty sure they're allowed to change the order until you get assigned a VIN

Options absolutely should've been discussed. Dealer add ons like floor mats and such might not come up until the car shows up at the lot, but everything else works basically the same way as you or I going through and building one on the website
That's what I f***ing thought. What a shitty salesman. I'm in a panic now and pissed off

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
That's what I f***ing thought. What a shitty salesman. I'm in a panic now and pissed off

Another thing to keep in mind, I keep seeing with Kia/Hyundai that folks are ordering and being quoted huge lead times... and then way ahead of schedule a very similarly equipped car arrives randomly as a dealer allotment. If it makes more money for the dealership to sell their random new arrival to your parents at MSRP, and then receive your parents order months later in order to possibly mark it up a few grand...they'll do it.

So don't be too shocked if they receive a call with a similar offer. I guess it's just something to be aware of in the event the call comes in, so there are no surprises and they can make the best decision for them.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Another thing to keep in mind, I keep seeing with Kia/Hyundai that folks are ordering and being quoted huge lead times... and then way ahead of schedule a very similarly equipped car arrives randomly as a dealer allotment. If it makes more money for the dealership to sell their random new arrival to your parents at MSRP, and then receive your parents order months later in order to possibly mark it up a few grand...they'll do it.

So don't be too shocked if they receive a call with a similar offer. I guess it's just something to be aware of in the event the call comes in, so there are no surprises and they can make the best decision for them.
My parents won't accept that. This has been going on since October now and it's not like they don't have a vehicle or two at their disposal. This isnt a need. It's a want and a celebration of retirement and solid investing.

If all said is true; I should be down at Toyota ripping the throat out of that salesman. Not providing the proper information is one thing, but taking my parents for "suckers" is infuriating.

Emails have been sent, and you bet your ass I'm following up

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
My parents won't accept that. This has been going on since October now and it's not like they don't have a vehicle or two at their disposal. This isnt a need. It's a want and a celebration of retirement and solid investing.

If all said is true; I should be down at Toyota ripping the throat out of that salesman. Not providing the proper information is one thing, but taking my parents for "suckers" is infuriating.

Emails have been sent, and you bet your ass I'm following up

It doesn’t make sense to me though. It would be in the sales reps interests to offer every option available right? Higher cost, each option with its own markup…more money for the dealership and the salesman.

i have heard of some dealerships not wanting to do custom orders though. For what reason i do not know. It makes me wonder if they didn’t totally want to make the order and just got through it as fast as possible

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
It doesn’t make sense to me though. It would be in the sales reps interests to offer every option available right? Higher cost, each option with its own markup…more money for the dealership and the salesman.

i have heard of some dealerships not wanting to do custom orders though. For what reason i do not know. It makes me wonder if they didn’t totally want to make the order and just got through it as fast as possible
That's what I'm saying. You'd think a salesman would be upselling for his own benefit. Apparently not in this case.

What an assclown. I'll update as follows

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Is there a chance that the package your parents picked limited the options to such an extent that the customization of it was pretty limited? I don't know, just trying to find a best case other than a straight up misunderstanding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad