Thoughts on the newish Toyota 4Runner?

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Full disclaimer...I tried to say a Tahoe but apparently it's "too big".

My parents just recently sold some property and there is a new influx of cash. The old Ford ranger needs to go.

I have no experience with the 4runner but it really does catch my eye. I think it looks good, but that doesnt mean anything. I just want my parents to have something efficient, but still capable. I'm just curious if you guys have any takes

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Full disclaimer...I tried to say a Tahoe but apparently it's "too big".

My parents just recently sold some property and there is a new influx of cash. The old Ford ranger needs to go.

I have no experience with the 4runner but it really does catch my eye. I think it looks good, but that doesnt mean anything. I just want my parents to have something efficient, but still capable. I'm just curious if you guys have any takes

i don't know anything about the new 4runners but every single person i personally know who has any iteration absolutely loves it. Doesn't break often, and when it does evidently it's stuff that isn't very important or expensive to fix. Are they looking to be more rugged with it or more driving around town? 4runners are pretty basic in my experience which can be a good thing vs Highlanders which have more options but are less off-road. resale has been crazy expensive in the past for used ones because most people driver theirs for 200k mi

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Fairly high. I mean if they wanted a BMW or something they could. But they aren't like that. Hell my dad still doesn't have a cell phone lol

I don't blame them. I mean no offense to BMW fans but their cars are absolute shit to me in terms of reliability at this point, and like most German cars when the repair bills do come you better keep lube on stand-by.

Reactions: HansonBro

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
i don't know anything about the new 4runners but every single person i personally know who has any iteration absolutely loves it. Doesn't break often, and when it does evidently it's stuff that isn't very important or expensive to fix. Are they looking to be more rugged with it or more driving around town? 4runners are pretty basic in my experience which can be a good thing vs Highlanders which have more options but are less off-road. resale has been crazy expensive in the past for used ones because most people driver theirs for 200k mi
Yeah its for around town more then anything. But we do get snow and they love going for random drives out of town. My mom has already stated she doesn't care for all the new fancy bells and whistles...so we might be onto something here boys. Remember they're coming out of a '12 Ford Ranger, so anything is better lol

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I love 4Runners, aren't very many cars with its reliability and resale value but it's pretty lacking in modern tech feautures (though the last few MYs finally got Android Auto/Apple CarPlay), gets terrible gas mileage and doesn't have the modern comforts of a lot of other SUVs in its price range. Also it isn't much smaller than a Tahoe and could be difficult for them to manage as they get older. I guess it depends on what they value. Another option could be the RAV4, it has a lot of the same pros as a 4Runner but gets way better gas mileage especially if they get the hybrid or plug in hybrid and it will be more manageable for any driver.

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
I've owned 2 (a 98 and 2000) and they were the greatest vehicles I've ever owned, had a combined 525,000 miles between the two of them before 1 was totaled and the other sold (I got $4k for one with 230,000 miles on it). I loved them so much that after an 8 year hiatus, I just put a deposit down on a 2022 TRD Off Road Premium. They are very difficult to find these days so my suggestion would be to find a dealer that doesn't mark-up over MSRP and have them order the one they want from dealer allocations. I was told it would be 3 months before mine is delivered, and expect to pay MSRP. Used ones are selling for more the same price as new ones. The 2022 models have all the advanced safety features you would want

This is the last redesign of the current 5th gen and word on the street is the 6th generation will be delayed until 2023 model year and it will not be built in Japan. Every 4Runner you see on the road has been built in Japan but they are transitioning to the Mexico plant where the Tacoma is built and the Tacoma has seen a drop in reliability over the last 10 years. The V6 that is in the current 5th generation is underpowered but it is absolutely rock solid.

Feel free to PM me for any more details. There are a few forums out there that have more information than you could ever ask for. Whatever model you decide all depends on what you want to do with it and what must-haves you want.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Yeah that's another great thing about it: any vehicle with as devoted owners as that is going to have a very helpful presence online for problem solving and questions.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
About a year ago a friend of mine spent a small fortune on a slightly used top trim and he is still over the moon excited about it

As Paddy37 mentioned, they are underpowered and hard to find, but I never see any serious complaints about them

Reactions: Winger98

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
About a year ago a friend of mine spent a small fortune on a slightly used top trim and he is still over the moon excited about it

As Paddy37 mentioned, they are underpowered and hard to find, but I never see any serious complaints about them
The only research ive done so far is looked at review for the 22 trd. It's got a 4.0l v6 making 278hp. You think thats too small? I dont know about the engines in other years/models

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The only research ive done so far is looked at review for the 22 trd. It's got a 4.0l v6 making 278hp. You think thats too small? I dont know about the engines in other years/models

Just most of the reviews I remember reading about the 4 liter. That's a decent number, but it's a pretty heavy ride

RichWVU

Sep 17, 2014
I've had a couple of 4Runners, loved every one of them, and looked hard at a 2020 when I bought my Rav4 Hybrid last January. The only "problem" with the current 4Runner is that it's almost mechanically identical to a 2004 4Runner, so you're paying big bucks for a 17 year old drivetrain. The 4.0L still feels just fine, but the 5-speed auto feels very very old if you've driven anything that's been developed in the last 10 years. The old tech also means fuel mileage is abysmal compared to other mid-size SUVs, you won't crack 15mpg in the city, 20mpg on the highway will be a stretch.

On the flip side, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The phrase "bulletproof" is overused in the automotive community, but this is one case where it's fitting. They run forever with very little maintenance, and, if you're into it, they won't leave you stranded out in the wilderness.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
I have a 2018 4 Runner TRD Off Road. Had a 2011 FJ Cruiser before that. Both are awesome!

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I just wanted to say thanks guys. You've all been great and so honest. I like what I hear.

My mother was even asking me more questions about it today, so there's some smoke....

I went on Toyota's site and built a 22 TRD off road and it was $67,000. I was actually pleasantly surprised. Some used ones were $55,000 with 60,000kms. This might actually be a time where buying new might make sense.

Thanks again guys!

Reactions: rynryn

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
I just wanted to say thanks guys. You've all been great and so honest. I like what I hear.

My mother was even asking me more questions about it today, so there's some smoke....

I went on Toyota's site and built a 22 TRD off road and it was $67,000. I was actually pleasantly surprised. Some used ones were $55,000 with 60,000kms. This might actually be a time where buying new might make sense.

Thanks again guys!

I assume you are not talking US dollars, correct? Because $67K in US dollars sounds ridiculous and even if you put every single option available on the top of the line TRD Pro you'd be in the $55K range on the Toyota website. I have actually seen some TRD Pro's that some dealer have marked-up $15-$20K over MSRP it is stupid, but they wouldn't be doing it unless someone would pay it.

For reference, mine came out to just under $46K (US Dollars). It is a 2022 TRD Off Road Premium in Lunar Rock with a moonroof, softex/leather, and blackout emblems.

Every 4Runner model since 2010 has had the exact same engine and as someone else said, the drivetrain goes back even further than that on the V6. So yet it may feel ancient to some, but that's why it is so reliable. If you're looking at the TRD Off Road, you should consider the Off Road Premium as well. For an extra few thousand dollars the upgrades on the interior are night and day. If it is going to be a long term hold, the 4Runner is one of the few vehicles out there that makes sense to buy new.

Good luck, let us know what they decide. If you want more in depth commentary check out www.toyota-4runner.org

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021

Thanks again guys!

Toyotas hold their resale value so well that it often doesn't make sense to buy a used one if a new one is within your budget.

Reactions: RichWVU

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Well short update. I finally got them to go to a dealer today. The only 4 runner available was in the show room, so not a test vehicle.

This truck is so hard to find it makes me that more intrigued

Reactions: North Cole

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Y'all know I'm a Tahoe man by now. But I understand that might be too much truck for my parents.

I just wanted something reliable and capable for them. And I can't think of a better vehicle now. I wish they would listen to me

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Y'all know I'm a Tahoe man by now. But I understand that might be too much truck for my parents.

I just wanted something reliable and capable for them. And I can't think of a better vehicle now. I wish they would listen to me

How are the new Tahoes? Are they still reliable?

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
Not sure why my previous post didn't go through. I drove a 20 Tahoe recently, it certainly had more giddy up and the one I drove was much better equipped with bells and whistles than any Toyota truck would ever be. It just felt much bigger than I wanted and I personally couldn't see myself driving 200K+ miles in one like I plan on doing in the 4runner.

RichWVU

Sep 17, 2014
Only problem with the current crop of Tahoes / Yukons etc is the tendency of the 5.3s DoD lifters to fail. Wouldn't be surprised to see a major recall on the newest gen of the 5.3.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Only problem with the current crop of Tahoes / Yukons etc is the tendency of the 5.3s DoD lifters to fail. Wouldn't be surprised to see a major recall on the newest gen of the 5.3.
Its funny you mention that. My 01 5.3 had a stuck lifter just 2 years ago. I was so worried, but a can of sea foam fixed it right up

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad