Thoughts on the Brian Boyle trade when it happened?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Of course, but are you willing to pay him 15 million over 5 years? Where is your limit?

I dont think anyone out there will be signing 4th liner Brian Boyle to a 5 year deal -- but thats because other teams are much better at developing 4th liners than the Rangers.

3-4 years @ 2.2 - 2.5M would work for me.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Hartnett: Indispensable Brian Boyle Is Key To Rangers’ Playoff Progress

When the Red Wings were in town on October 26, Detroit head coach Mike Babcock went out of his way to praise Boyle.

“Boyle always impresses me,†Babcock said. “He came to New York and became a good player.â€

There are 30 teams in this league that would be desperate to plug Boyle on their third or fourth line. Boyle mastery of his checking line and penalty kill roles isn’t a secret around the NHL. Coaches and executives around the league understand exactly how valuable Boyle is to the Rangers.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think it's interesting to look at BBs development after the trade. It's possible that Torts deserves some cred too.

LAK was dissapointed with Boyle because he didn't realize what type of player he had to veto succeed there.

BB was also jerked around here in NY a bit early on.

But then everything fell into place for him in terms of becoming a lock for a roster spot at least. In LAK he wanted to be a 2nd lineer. High pick, high expectations. Not the least from players themselves.

This is a big challenge for someone like McI too, for example. It just seems like it's so extremely important for a player to be able to fight his way up, whilst the players who start a little bit behind their expectations seem to head in the wrong direction in a hurry. Boyle was a bit of a screw up in LA that could start fresh in NY. Can we keep McI on track?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Wouldn't it be just like the Sather-led Rangers to:

a) let Boyle go (as Sather has no regard for chemistry and tends to underappreciate all those who are not top-6 skilled players)
b) spend a season trying to replace what he has brought
c) spend the next off season spending more money to bring in another UFA.

Yes it would, very much.

I would love to find a way to keep Boyle. I am just a bit afraid that he will be too expensive. 3-3+.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I wasn't knowledgeable regarding Boyle before he came to the Rangers so it wasn't a big deal to me. As I recall it was the summer after Betts' last season with the Rangers before he went to Philly, so I guess I saw Boyle as a possible replacement for him. Boyle plays his particular role for the Rangers very well and I think it was a good move. I'm sure as a first round pick there was hope for more at one point earlier in his career but he is good at the role he has grown into today.

And nice quote from Babcock. Being recognized by a coach as good as Babcock is would make me feel good.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I wasn't knowledgeable regarding Boyle before he came to the Rangers so it wasn't a big deal to me. As I recall it was the summer after Betts' last season with the Rangers before he went to Philly, so I guess I saw Boyle as a possible replacement for him. Boyle plays his particular role for the Rangers very well and I think it was a good move. I'm sure as a first round pick there was hope for more at one point earlier in his career but he is good at the role he has grown into today.

And nice quote from Babcock. Being recognized by a coach as good as Babcock is would make me feel good.

It woudln't surprise me to see him get close to, or upwards of 3 million on the open market.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
He is Paul Gaustad. I have said this NUMEROUS times. He brings the same exact things. Leadership, face-off prowess, physical play and PKing. 3/4C that any team would love to have.
Yeah, but I think a big part of the reason Gaustad got that contract (LOLOL) is because GMs drastically overvalue his face-punching. Boyle is not very good at punching faces.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It woudln't surprise me to see him get close to, or upwards of 3 million on the open market.

I understand your thinking but that would be bad for the Rangers in my opinion. Marty St. Louis who has won NHL MVPs and led the league in scoring only makes 5.6 mill. Steps is at 3 mill. If Boyle gets 3 mill what do you pay Brass? Staal? Zooks? Pou?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah, but I think a big part of the reason Gaustad got that contract (LOLOL) is because GMs drastically overvalue his face-punching. Boyle is not very good at punching faces.

I think he was paid for the whole package. I think that's part of it, but I think Boyle's ability to at least stand up for himself or his teammates is enough to get him up there in salary. Boyd Gordon got 3 million a year for 4 years. 14 points in 48 games in the shortened season.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I understand your thinking but that would be bad for the Rangers in my opinion. Marty St. Louis who has won NHL MVPs and led the league in scoring only makes 5.6 mill. Steps is at 3 mill. If Boyle gets 3 mill what do you pay Brass? Staal? Zooks? Pou?

I agree. Although I would keep Boyle over Pouliot. I think the 3rd line LW spot is easier to fill than a jack-of-all-trades 4c like Boyle.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
But Boyle over Pou in salary? Moore does what Boyle does (faceoffs, defense, PK). Would you keep both Boyle and Moore and let Pou walk?

I think the Boyle-Moore duo on the 4th line is more important than trying to keep the Pouliot-Brassard-MZA line together. I think MZA and Brassard could work well with other players.

I guess what I am saying is that I value Boyle and Moore higher than Pouliot. I'm not saying I would overpay for any of them, but if I had a choice of Boyle @ 2.5 or Pouliot @ 2.5, I think I take Boyle and try to fill the role of offensive 3rd line LW elsewhere or from within.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think the Boyle-Moore duo on the 4th line is more important than trying to keep the Pouliot-Brassard-MZA line together. I think MZA and Brassard could work well with other players.

I guess what I am saying is that I value Boyle and Moore higher than Pouliot. I'm not saying I would overpay for any of them, but if I had a choice of Boyle @ 2.5 or Pouliot @ 2.5, I think I take Boyle and try to fill the role of offensive 3rd line LW elsewhere or from within.

I understand and if we could fill that 3rd line LW role from within it would make sense but I also think Pou gave us a lot in the 2nd half of the season (size, actual hitting, front of the net presence, goals, etc). Many people feel that is more like our 2nd line than third line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad