Thoughts on the Brian Boyle trade when it happened?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
At first I was a little confused and mildly angry because Boyle was a player who never really could stick with the Kings and I felt Betts was fine and no need to replace him. I also hated giving up a 3rd rounder that could become something.

Boyle at first was frustrating and Torts constant overuse of him was maddening but he's become quite the useful player and is perfect for a 4th line and faceoff, PK role. I can't believe he's been here five years.

He's someone who has earned my respect as a player and if he does end up not resigning, I will miss him and everything he has brought to the table.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A cheaper kid can do the job.
It is not always necessary to go with the cheaper option. You do not know if some fresh face can do the same effective job. However, you do know that the fresh face will not be a part of the chemistry that exists.

One cannot always place a price tag on lockerroom integral players.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
we have guys like Miller, Lindberg and Fast who can take his spot if he bolts.
You do not want Miller developing on the 4th line. And it is debatable if Fast can be an effective everday player in the league. And to boot, you want to play him as a 4th line center and take face offs??

Lindberg? Can he even play in the NHL? How do you know?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
It is not always necessary to go with the cheaper option. You do not know if some fresh face can do the same effective job. However, you do know that the fresh face will not be a part of the chemistry that exists.

Pretty much this. I think 2.5 is too much...but what is the extra 500-700k going towards? Having a solid defensive 4C who can PK and add leadership is by no means a pure "luxury." It's a pretty important piece. It's a tough call and I don't envy management with this one.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Another thing about Boyle is that he is now our longest tenured forward. I think having some sort of continuity is important considering how much roster turnover we've had over the years (and there will undoubtedly be some more turnover this summer with Richards' buyout).

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Another thing about Boyle is that he is now our longest tenured forward. I think having some sort of continuity is important considering how much roster turnover we've had over the years (and there will undoubtedly be some more turnover this summer with Richards' buyout).

Thats pretty incredible.

And also gives you an idea about what Sather thinks about continuity.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I hope Fast can add in some offense and be a Top 6 player but, even if he doesn't, a 4th line of Fast-D.Moore-Carcillo/Dorsett would definitely be serviceable. Lindberg could play there as well. Boyle is definitely worth signing as a top PKer but if the contract is too expensive, the 4th line would be in good shape anyway.

I'd rather save the Boyle money to go towards 1st line player or good RHD. Hell, if I was going to sign a Boyle, it'd be Dan. He's older but you could sign him for like 2 years and upgrade on Stralman. Girardi-Boyle-Klein would be great and you'd still have McIlrath and Allen for insurance.

I mean, this is the kind of whitewash we see all the time. Whose to say that Fast/Lindberg are even NHL players let alone capable of providing what Boyle has provided?

I think Boyle might get too much in free agency, but Im not prepared to wish the problem of his departure away with untested prospects.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Now that Boyle has been playing most of the year on the 4th line he's shown how valuable he can be...I know that sounds funny but he's not good enough to play in the top six obviously and while he could play a checking role on a 3rd line, usually you want more points out of that spot as well, but as part of a consistent 4 line rotation on the 4th line he can be a guy who takes some hard defensive minutes so the other lines don't have to and play them well.

Again you look at a team like the Bruins and what they get out of their fourth line and you can see why a 4th line can be considered valuable, and the Rangers finally have something like that.

I'd like to keep Boyle...I'd like to keep that whole line! But we'll see how realistic that is, they're all FA's of some sort I believe

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Now that Boyle has been playing most of the year on the 4th line he's shown how valuable he can be...I know that sounds funny but he's not good enough to play in the top six obviously and while he could play a checking role on a 3rd line, usually you want more points out of that spot as well, but as part of a consistent 4 line rotation on the 4th line he can be a guy who takes some hard defensive minutes so the other lines don't have to and play them well.

Again you look at a team like the Bruins and what they get out of their fourth line and you can see why a 4th line can be considered valuable, and the Rangers finally have something like that.

I'd like to keep Boyle...I'd like to keep that whole line! But we'll see how realistic that is, they're all FA's of some sort I believe

Agreed. The 4th line finally has a purpose and a role that they can fill.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agreed. The 4th line finally has a purpose and a role that they can fill.
Wouldn't it be just like the Sather-led Rangers to:

a) let Boyle go (as Sather has no regard for chemistry and tends to underappreciate all those who are not top-6 skilled players)
b) spend a season trying to replace what he has brought
c) spend the next off season spending more money to bring in another UFA.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Hey if he signs back I won't be pissed if just like to or out as a 3rd liner he doesn't bring enough offense but as a 4th line pker he's perfect. I just would be worries about paying to much for that Role when maybe it can be filled by a younger cheaper option

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

a) let Boyle go (as Sather has no regard for chemistry and tends to underappreciate all those who are not top-6 skilled players)

Yes
Yes
Yes

Ha!

I think retaining Boyle is a very good move. But you have to pay for on-ice production as well. 2-2.2 million for 4 years. That's a good contract. However, Nystrom, Hendricks, Gordon etc. raised the bar last off-season getting what they got. He can get more on the open market with his skills.

A team like Edmonton especially.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think Boyle would fetch a Prust-like contract.

I also think hes a much safer investment than Prust.

True, although does he have as large of an impact as Prust when healthy? I don't think so.

Either way, 2.5 would be the top-end of what I would offer. Hopefully Moore re-signs for a bit less, maybe 1.5-1.7.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

If this is not what happens I will be pleasantly surprised. But this is exactly what I expect to happen.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Pretty much this. I think 2.5 is too much...but what is the extra 500-700k going towards? Having a solid defensive 4C who can PK and add leadership is by no means a pure "luxury." It's a pretty important piece. It's a tough call and I don't envy management with this one.

I'm in the category that, unless the demands are off-the-charts outrageous, both Boyle and D. Moore are must re-signs this off-season. The Boyle-Moore combo is the backbone of that line, allowing Dorsett and Carcillo to be interchangeable. Plus, both are essential to the PK.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
True, although does he have as large of an impact as Prust when healthy? I don't think so.

Either way, 2.5 would be the top-end of what I would offer. Hopefully Moore re-signs for a bit less, maybe 1.5-1.7.

I'd rather get Boyle locked up than penny pinch/assume that imports like Asham or Taylor Pyatt could provide any sort of worth.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I came in here expecting tons and tons of hate as that's all I hear are Rangers fans complaining about Boyle. I think it's great that's not really the case.

To be honest, I immediately discount anyone's opinion that doesn't respect the unsung job BB does. He does all the little things that are required out of secondary and tertiary players to win hockey games. I think people get such tunnel vision that every successful forward has to be a 30 goal scorer.

He doesn't fight and he doesn't really score but so what. Everytime I watch a game I can pick out 10-15 little things he does that make me say nice play, nice shift etc. etc.

I would love to see him comeback.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
You do not want Miller developing on the 4th line. And it is debatable if Fast can be an effective everday player in the league. And to boot, you want to play him as a 4th line center and take face offs??

Lindberg? Can he even play in the NHL? How do you know?

Why does it matter where Miller develops? NHL minutes are NHL minutes. It's not like he is a superstar in the making. A lot of young players work their way up from the bottom six. If he earns more ice time he will get it.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Why does it matter where Miller develops? NHL minutes are NHL minutes. It's not like he is a superstar in the making. A lot of young players work their way up from the bottom six. If he earns more ice time he will get it.

Because the 4th line, more often than not, has clearly defined roles and responsibilities. Energy, PK, defensive awareness (in no particular order). You have to recognize and accept those roles to be good at them.

So, no, NHL minutes are not NHL minutes when your job is completely different than that of the top 9.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Because the 4th line, more often than not, has clearly defined roles and responsibilities. Energy, PK, defensive awareness (in no particular order). You have to recognize and accept those roles to be good at them.

So, no, NHL minutes are not NHL minutes when your job is completely different than that of the top 9.

I'd rather get Boyle locked up than penny pinch/assume that imports like Asham or Taylor Pyatt could provide any sort of worth.

Of course, but are you willing to pay him 15 million over 5 years? Where is your limit?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
6 minutes spent on a 4th line is not the same as 10-12 minutes spent on other lines.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'd like to keep Boyle but it has to be at a realistic price. There are guys that play more minutes that we also need to re-sign (Brass, Zooks, etc)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad