Thoughts on the Brian Boyle trade when it happened?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If we had to pick two, it'd be Boyle and Poo easily.

I can't imagine Dom Moore will cost much, though. We SHOULD be able to keep all three, I'd assume.

What was your name before Bird's Law? It be nice to know who I was reading. Thanks :)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You can just click on the name to find out ;)

Twas Jonathan

Thanks. I did not know that. It makes things a bit confusing when out of nowhere I see a new name with so many posts. I appreciate the honest answer.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You are avoiding the question. I did not ask about on offense or defense or PP or PK. I asked which is the better player.

If I tell you that Zuccarello is the better player (which I think he is), will that further deplete your respect for work that needs to be done on the defensive side of the puck?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If I tell you that Zuccarello is the better player (which I think he is), will that further deplete your respect for work that needs to be done on the defensive side of the puck?

If you can not ask a question without a negative implication how can I take you seriously? When have I ever said that I do not have respect for work in the defensive side of the ice? I do not believe you can win games 0-0 but I do know that both sides of the ice are equally important. I was an extremely hard working defensive player myself but I also know you can not expect to win games if you can not score goals. When I was in college I scored 2 goals in my freshman season. There was a guy named Trap that scored around 16. I was much better on in my own zone than Trap was yet the coach played him about 3 times as much as I did. The coach was right to do that because even though I was better in my own zone Trap was the better player overall.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
He's had such an up and down career here. The truth is he's an excellent 4th line player when he's got a defined role.

Tortarella toying with him in offensive situations was just stupid, especially after his 2011 season was clearly the exception.

Excellent trade in retrospect. He's better in the postseason. Boyle will easily get at least 3 million next season

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Boyle's game suits the playoffs, so it is natural his support is rising now.

We have a lot of players to sign, for me, Boyle is next to last in priority ahead of Carcillo. If it comes down to keeping Moore or Boyle I'm on team Moore, though that is taking nothing away fro Boyle and all the hard work he has put in for this team.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I would pay $2.5M a year for Boyle. I would think that if you offer him the years, he'll take a reduced salary, perhaps a highly front loaded contract too.

Wonder if he's eligible for bonuses as well? Could help push some of the cap hit to the following year when the cap is (presumably) higher than this upcoming year? Just some ideas.

I still think he gets kept. AV likes him, and that should weigh in a good amount on Slats' decision to resign him

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I would pay $2.5M a year for Boyle. I would think that if you offer him the years, he'll take a reduced salary, perhaps a highly front loaded contract too.

Wonder if he's eligible for bonuses as well? Could help push some of the cap hit to the following year when the cap is (presumably) higher than this upcoming year? Just some ideas.

I still think he gets kept. AV likes him, and that should weigh in a good amount on Slats' decision to resign him

I don't think Boyle is eligible for bonuses. I think they are for ELC's, players on 35+ contracts and/or players coming back after long-term injuries where the player missed all or most of the previous season.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Boyle's game suits the playoffs, so it is natural his support is rising now.

We have a lot of players to sign, for me, Boyle is next to last in priority ahead of Carcillo. If it comes down to keeping Moore or Boyle I'm on team Moore, though that is taking nothing away fro Boyle and all the hard work he has put in for this team.
Playing bigger and better in the playoffs counts, no?

Moore is a good 4th line center, but so too is Boyle. And no team basically needs two 4th line centers. Boyle is a part of the core and that is something intangible. Boyle has size and overall, this team does not. Boyle is the longest tenured forward. He gets priority ahead of Moore. And quibbling with him over $500k does not make sense.

NYRCSKA*

Boyle shows up for the playoffs. When game 1 rolls around I usually think "Oh yeah that's why Boyle is still on the team".

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Depth Depth Depth.

Finally, the Rangers have a team that can win the battle of attrition - often times the top 9 wears eachother out and its the 4th line, if capable, that steps up. The Rangers were bitten by that vs. New Jersey in 2012 -- its nice to see they perhaps have the advantage this year.

Boyle and Moore have been a revelation this series. Great work by them both.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Playing bigger and better in the playoffs counts, no?

Moore is a good 4th line center, but so too is Boyle. And no team basically needs two 4th line centers. Boyle is a part of the core and that is something intangible. Boyle has size and overall, this team does not. Boyle is the longest tenured forward. He gets priority ahead of Moore. And quibbling with him over $500k does not make sense.

Moore is the better natural center as he can make passes and is more shifty with the puck. It's no surprise that Boyle has looked better while playing wing at 5v5 while helping on face-offs and then center at 5v4. I have been screaming for this for years. The guy doesn't have a creative bone in his body but he is a beast along the boards.

He played his best hockey with Fedotenko and Prust. No surprise. Those (2) players liked to control the puck and were able to find him in space. He is finding more space along the walls with this line.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Depth Depth Depth.

Finally, the Rangers have a team that can win the battle of attrition - often times the top 9 wears eachother out and its the 4th line, if capable, that steps up. The Rangers were bitten by that vs. New Jersey in 2012 -- its nice to see they perhaps have the advantage this year.

Boyle and Moore have been a revelation this series. Great work by them both.

Boyle and Moore have a great chemistry as well. Keep them both.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The challenge Boyle faces is that he isn't Keith Primeau.

He doesn't dominate physically like you think he would and, with the exception of one season, he's not much of an offensive threat.

I think Boyle is a solid fourth line center. Not as bad as his detractors make him out to be. Not as irreplaceable as his supporters claim.

He's the kind of guy who fits a legit NHL need. The hard part is determining how much that is worth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad