Thoughts on TBL drawing Pittsburgh in the first round?

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
It would kinda suck for the Bolts, I'm sure they'd rather be getting BJs in the first round. Don't think they'll have a problem either way tho.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pittsburgh will finish 2nd in the Metro behind Washington. The Islanders are fading and I think they fall to one of the WC spots while Pittsburgh and Carolina finish 2nd and 3rd in the Metro, respectively. Washington and Pittsburgh will meet in the 2nd round and the winner will represent the East in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Pens probably blew their shot at passing the Isles last night, when they lost to Columbus. They failed to take advantage of the Isles losing to Philly, and could have moved to within 2 points of them. Instead, they're still 4 back with only 14 games to go.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Yes please.

I don't think the Pens have enough to make a cup run, but for 1 series I think they could be competitive with TB.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The Lightning are the best team in the league, who they play should not matter. I also think the Pens have lost a step or 2 this year.

Reactions: Sensators

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don't feel good about it, but if Crosby/Malkin/Kessel are playing like they can, it doesn't really matter who the other team is.

They just haven't all played like they can, Crosby aside.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The Pittsburgh Penguins in my opinion are the toughest matchup in Round 1 of the Stanley Cup playoffs. The odds of them stumbling to me are almost non-existent. Maybe they won't have what it takes to go all the way anymore - but that's a team that's likely going to go all out in round 1. I can't imagine Malkin, Kessel, Crosby & co not showing up in round 1 - look at the last 3 years, utter dominance.

It would by far be the most difficult matchup for Tampa. Doesn't mean Tampa can't beat them - but it would be a battle of titans imo. I think this is the matchup Tampa hopes to avoid. Anyone else should fall easily to them in round 1.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Pitt isn't the same Pitt that won B2B cups so I could care less.

They would have beaten Tampa and Vegas if they got past the Capitals last year.

I think it will come down to either the Caps or Pens representing the East in the finals.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
With the amount of parity we are seeing, there's not that big of a difference between #2 through #8 in the East. Tampa, clearly #1 in the standings but that doesn't meaning any of the teams that make it will be a cake walk.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
With the amount of parity we are seeing, there's not that big of a difference between #2 through #8 in the East. Tampa, clearly #1 in the standings but that doesn't meaning any of the teams that make it will be a cake walk.
This can't be said enough. Especially with all the damn Tampa threads that get made daily. Just because we are good in the standings doesn't mean we are better than teams in the playoffs.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
For the first time all season I'm a little worried about the Pens' chances of making the playoffs.

However, I much prefer to face the Islanders than TB.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Pens would smack Tampa and it will be glorious.

i fear the caps more tbh. they have done it and won a cup.

Reactions: OVO16

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
If crosby malkin letang Kessel Murray go into playoff mode then it's over for tbay. But if stamkos doesn't choke for once then it could get interesting especially if kuch plays up to his potential

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Pittsburgh will finish 2nd in the Metro behind Washington. The Islanders are fading and I think they fall to one of the WC spots while Pittsburgh and Carolina finish 2nd and 3rd in the Metro, respectively. Washington and Pittsburgh will meet in the 2nd round and the winner will represent the East in the Stanley Cup Finals.
I know it feels that way, but playing Tampa in the third round isn't the "Stanley Cup Finals."

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think either Washington or Pittsburgh represents the East, as I said. I'm aware there's another round between the 2nd round and the SCF but I think WSH/PIT beats whoever they play.
I heard you - but that round *after* you lose to Tampa is the actual SCF.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No team wants to play the Lightning in any round though...

I actually think I'd favor the Pens chances versus the Lightning than a team like Boston. Stifling defenses that clog things up give the Pens more trouble than in a series where they can try and out score the opposition.

Note: I'm not saying I like their chances versus either team or think the Pens would be the favorites in either series. I just think of the two, Boston's style of play would give the Pens more trouble.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
If crosby malkin letang Kessel Murray go into playoff mode then it's over for tbay. But if stamkos doesn't choke for once then it could get interesting especially if kuch plays up to his potential
This happened in 2016 and it went all the way to game 7. Since then, Tampa has gotten significantly stronger and Pit’s depth has been decimated. Claiming it would be over if 87, 71, and 81 play well is a bit over the top. It would make for a competitive series.

Reactions: gtrower and AD1066

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Pens would smack Tampa and it will be glorious.

i fear the caps more tbh. they have done it and won a cup.

Pens are the team I’m least scared of. Bunch of over the hill players and overpaid plugs. Will be hilarious seeing them get swept.

Reactions: Hint1k

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This happened in 2016 and it went all the way to game 7. Since then, Tampa has gotten significantly stronger and Pit’s depth has been decimated. Claiming it would be over if 87, 71, and 81 play well is a bit over the top. It would make for a competitive series.

Eh, not sure the problem is Pittsburgh's depth this year. The biggest difference between the Pens' 2016 Cup team and this year's roster is on defense. Up front, the 2016 team didn't have a player comparable to Jake Guentzel, and a guy like Rust (who was prominent in 2016) is a much better player today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad