Thoughts on Sportsnet #IceSurfing coming this season?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Sportsnet #IceSurfing returns on Twitter beginning October 9 - Sportsnet.ca

Apparently this was a thing before? First time I have heard of it.

"
Sportsnet is also launching the inaugural season of Sportsnet #IceSurfing on Twitter, beginning Tuesday, Oct. 9. Hosted by Marek alongside analyst Jason York and Steve Dangle, who will be monitoring and interacting with the show’s audience on the social platform,

Sportsnet #IceSurfing
provides fans with a new way to watch the sport they love.
Set to stream weekly on Sportsnet’s Twitter account, #IceSurfing follows all the excitement by jumping from game to game to show highlights, provide up-to-the-minute analysis and share immediate reactions of all the evening’s biggest plays."

So my first reaction is that it sounds interesting. However I am also not sure about this. On one hand it is okay for the slow boring games, but also you get into a game and just want to watch it. I am wondering, does this appeal to anyone? What are your thoughts on this?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I guess this is their version of On The Fly which is what the NHL Network does with the live highlights of ongoing games and they are just adding the social media factor to it.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I can only wonder how much they'll ignore from games to give more coverage to teams they usually give preferential treatment to

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So my first reaction is that it sounds interesting. However I am also not sure about this. On one hand it is okay for the slow boring games, but also you get into a game and just want to watch it. I am wondering, does this appeal to anyone? What are your thoughts on this?

If the game I'm watching is that boring, I just turn it off. I watch 90%+ of my games as a recording, usually well after it's started, sometimes not even starting it until after it's over... so while there are games that are brutal to watch (even as a Pens fan) for those I'll just start skipping it forward to see if perhaps they score a goal or two to make it interesting... otherwise if I'm that bored I'll just turn off the TV and do something else.

I know for example the Pens board has game day threads... however very rarely will I even look at those (even if I'm watching the game live) as I'm watching the damn game. No need to be on FB or HF when watching the game (not on twitter).

So for me this doesn't do a damn thing. But hey if it works for some people, great.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Screw Roger's /Sportsnet for taking my NHL games away without any real notice. I signed a new agreement largely due to this perk.

I hope they lose a ton of money.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Sportsnet is so bad. TSN should have the rights. Now on Bell you can't just get sportsnet for 1 or 2 games. You have to take it for at least a month.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Screw Roger's /Sportsnet for taking my NHL games away without any real notice. I signed a new agreement largely due to this perk.

I always found it hypocritical that once Rogers got the rights in Canada is when they decided to get rid of the NHL Network as a channel available on their digital cable boxes, which is why the NHL Network decided to move their operations to Secaucus, New Jersey.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Call and talk the loyalty department. I had the same issue, made a formal complaint. Took about 5 phone calls and a week worth of waiting and threatening to leave Roger's but I got a $250 credit from them over the Game Center complaint. Told them I only stayed with them for free spotify and NHL which both have been removed... worth a try.

Reactions: Cellee

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Call and talk the loyalty department. I had the same issue, made a formal complaint. Took about 5 phone calls and a week worth of waiting and threatening to leave Roger's but I got a $250 credit from them over the Game Center complaint. Told them I only stayed with them for free spotify and NHL which both have been removed... worth a try.
Thanks for the info. Probably worth it but cripes is it a hassle.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Thanks for the info. Probably worth it but cripes is it a hassle.

Definitely a hassle.. the credit basically paid of the cell phone bill for the family, or covers the cost of a Game Center subscription... I may not even sign up for it and wait to see if a friend gets it, or find an alternative. But for maybe an hour of talking total to get $250, worth it and hopefully lots of customers send Roger's the message that customers are not happy with the greedy stunt.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Definitely a hassle.. the credit basically paid of the cell phone bill for the family, or covers the cost of a Game Center subscription... I may not even sign up for it and wait to see if a friend gets it, or find an alternative. But for maybe an hour of talking total to get $250, worth it and hopefully lots of customers send Roger's the message that customers are not happy with the greedy stunt.
They were very shifty about it. Very irritating.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I always found it hypocritical that once Rogers got the rights in Canada is when they decided to get rid of the NHL Network as a channel available on their digital cable boxes, which is why the NHL Network decided to move their operations to Secaucus, New Jersey.

The NHL Network in Canada was a TSN property, so without NHL rights it was pretty much rendered obsolete. The NHL Network in the US, to my understanding, has always been a separate entity.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The NHL Network in Canada was a TSN property, so without NHL rights it was pretty much rendered obsolete. The NHL Network in the US, to my understanding, has always been a separate entity.
I already knew that. However my point is up until Rogers getting the rights in Canada they still made the NHL Network available as one of their channels which you could get or it was included depending on the type of package you already had, despite the NHL Network being owned by TSN. I mean you don't find it weird that in Canada where Hockey is the #1 sport they don't have a dedicated 24 hour NHL channel, considering they offer MLB Network, NFL Network and NBA TV.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
So more Leafs talk.

With Steve Dangle guaranteed. That guy is one of the most irritating and insufferable goofs I’ve seen Sportsnet employ.

I do like the concept of what they’re trying to do if it’s actually balanced, but I doubt it will be.

Reactions: blueberrie

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
They have been giving free gamecentre for a few years, but yanked it away with no real notice.

I'm sure they've known for over a year they were ending this access, but were in no hurry to pass that along.

Oof. Thats greasy.

I'd be phoning and giving them an earful

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I'm actually looking forward to this strangely enough. I'm really missing the evening hockey wrap up shows (more so for the analysis than the highlights). There used to be NHL on the fly on NHL network (Canada), hockey central on SN and Thats Hockey Tonight on TSN. All 3 are now gone with TSN Thats hockey tonight being the latest victim last year. I hope this fills the void somewhat.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad