Speculation: Thoughts on Shero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Mike

May 7, 2012
Given the firing of Jay Feaster today, what would you put the odds at that Shero gets canned if the Pens have another May embarrassment? It is a divisive topic amongst my friends. I really don't know the answer myself. Part of me thinks he is safe no matter what and part of me thinks that he would go down with the Bylsma ship. For the record, I think it is both or neither when it comes to Bylsma and Shero. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Negative elevendy billion.

Even if the Pens don't make the playoffs, Shero won't be fired.

Fans should come to Consol like this though for Byslma's head first and Shero's next if he doesn't get rid of that dolt.

Simpsons_angry_mob.png

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
No GM is going to hit 100% of the time, on the draft or trades. But overall he has done a good job.

He is not the problem, Disco is.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
As long as Bylsma is his choice as head coach, then Shero SHOULD be canned.

But I don't foresee any big changes this off-season. Last off-season, we had a massive opportunity to make significant changes and we did nothing.

Onan

Aug 13, 2007
Dont worry, Shero is not going to get fired after this year.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
No GM is going to hit 100% of the time, on the draft or trades. But overall he has done a good job.

He is not the problem, Disco is.

I really don't how ppl can say that last part. Shero is the reason we have DB.

Since the Cup Shero has been terrible. He's running the Pens like he would run the Preds.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Bylsma will be fired. Shero won't be. There's a huge difference between where the Calgary Flames organization stands right now and where the Penguins do.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He already had the ideal opportunity to change coaches, and chose to keep him. What has changed? What will change this spring? We're going to look worse than the Boston series (or the Flyers series of '12, or the Habs series of '10)?

As long as Shero is here, we're stuck with Bylsma.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I really don't how ppl can say that last part. Shero is the reason we have DB.

Since the Cup Shero has been terrible. He's running the Pens like he would run the Preds.

Not quite. Poile would have been to scared to make some of the deadline moves Shero has made over his tenure as Penguins GM. That being said, it would be nice if Shero could get a forward prospect every once in a while.

Guins71

Mar 22, 2004
My thoughts on Shero:

-He traded for Sid's winger of the future 6 years ago and received Pascal Dupuis as a throw in. Dupuis has been his winger since. Blows my mind that 6 years have gone by and that's the best he can do. Maybe Craig Patrick should have just let left Mario skate with Bob Errey and Troy Loney.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Its a strange case. I like how he built teams in the past but hate it now. I hate going defense, defense, defense every year at the draft but the Pens prospect list is solid.

He's been good but not great IMO.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Two years ago I would have said 100% "No". Now, I'm not so sure. I don't think so, but there has to be a breaking point somewhere.

I agree that DB will go first if changes are being made, but you can't rule out a package deal there. I could see it as beneficial to bring in a new coach and GM at the same time who fit the team's, and each other's, mentality/style/vision.

Last edited:

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Given the firing of Jay Feaster today, what would you put the odds at that Shero gets canned if the Pens have another May embarrassment? It is a divisive topic amongst my friends. I really don't know the answer myself. Part of me thinks he is safe no matter what and part of me thinks that he would go down with the Bylsma ship. For the record, I think it is both or neither when it comes to Bylsma and Shero. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

It took the Pens 4 seasons of missing the playoffs entirely while going through 3+ coaches before Craig Patrick was fired. There's no way Shero is getting fired without at least trying another coach first when they're still making the playoffs.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The mentality starts all the way up at the top with Mario as well. Don't forget that. He has to hire the GM and the GM has a say on the HC etc.

This country club BS is not just on 2 peoples shoulders. 4 straight years with multiple embarrising exits and we extend Danny B and put a vote of confidence in a mentally unstable G? Ain't many places around the NHL doing that.

This team needs grit and a set of big ass testies.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
He's not a bad GM, but not a really good one, either. He's made some nice trades and hasn't really screwed anything up, but he also really hasn't done nearly enough given the core group of players that he was provided with.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'm just not a fan of the way this team is constructed ATM and that falls on Shero.

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
- Do I really need to say anymore here that hasn't already been said?

Jokinen/Bennett - Malkin - Neal
- This line is ok as long as Bennett is there. Jokinen isn't what that 2nd line needs though, and Shero has to know that Bylsma is going to use Jokinen there more often than not.

Bennett/Jokinen - Sutter - Kobasew
- Scrap heap no grit player in Kobasew who's average size. Jokinen isn't a 3rd line player like we need either. What's this lines identity exactly?

Glass - Vitale - Adams
- Need I say more about this line too? I mean Glass even gets 3rd line time to boot. Atrocious.

The coach makes these lines to be sure, but Shero supplies the players. He needs to know how Bylsma will use these players before acquiring them.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh

Shero is safe no matter what this year IMO. The owners were in agreement about bringing back the staff. DB will take the fall if the team crashes and burns again. But if he screws up the next hire, Shero is gone within a year or two.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
The mentality starts all the way up at the top with Mario as well. Don't forget that. He has to hire the GM and the GM has a say on the HC etc.

This country club BS is not just on 2 peoples shoulders. 4 straight years with multiple embarrising exits and we extend Danny B and put a vote of confidence in a mentally unstable G? Ain't many places around the NHL doing that.

This team needs grit and a set of big ass testies.

Well said.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Ray Shero you're so great, you're so great I *********
Ray Shero RayRay Ray Shero
Ray Shero you're so great, you're so great I *********

Oh Shero you're so crafty when you make a trade
But some of your signings won't earn you a parade
Oh Shero you're so crafty when you make a trade
It's guys like you, Shero

Oh what you do Shero, do Shero, don't trade Despres Shero

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
IMO, if this season goes south then DB will be gone first. Put it this way, Shero has given the pieces to DB that make us a legit contender every year since '08 (minus the year both Sid and Malkin went down, you can't exactly recover from that one). It's been a failure at the ice level that has prevented any success. That's on DB now with Martin being brought in.

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
Not quite. Poile would have been to scared to make some of the deadline moves Shero has made over his tenure as Penguins GM. That being said, it would be nice if Shero could get a forward prospect every once in a while.

Sure he has the guts of making trades but what comes to mind is since 2009, he hasn't made good decisions overall. Neal for Goligoski is the only trade he did right but that was a no brainer. His decision on trades, drafts and offseason acquisitions were disgusting to say the least the last few years. Over the years, the pens passed on so many talented forward prospects for acquiring 1 billion defensemen. The offseasons were the same, all the money going into defensemen year after year. I still can't believe 8 years after joining the Pens, Crosby is still playing with Duper. Shero has to come with a long term plan in that regard instead of looking every year for a rental and veteran who lost his wheels 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad