Thoughts on Recruiting Fans?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Hey I was just interested in what row your seats are in? When I looked at your picture it looked like maybe row 35~? Im just curious because I can't imagine that your numbers are correct. When I had season tickets for the Canucks (last year) I paid around 11 grand

Row 16 of 17 in the upper bowl.

The figure for the Canucks, as indicated in my post, was from a third-party source, and for a single seat.

BarkingMad

Once and Future King
Oct 31, 2013
Camelot
I would hope that the coyotes would market to the latino market. A spanish language broadcast would be good. At least it would be good for my fiancees family. I am getting them into hockey and it really hasn't been that hard once I convinced them it was quite similar to soccer.

¡Me encanta esta idea! I would personally love to see this happen and I think it could be a great way to expand to a new market.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Unfortunately in the middle of a desert, there's only one thing that is going to work... Winning and advertise that youre winning... That and strippers in the stands of course

Pretty much that was the conclusion all of us got as we talked about this topic in the past. Trying to recruit others is going to be natural for any fan of any team but in the end it's up to the owner to make the right moves to make this profitable no matter how bad or good the product is under ones ownership.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Just talked to one of the ticket reps. I have 5 people who want to go to the game Saturday; me, the wife and 3 daughters. I wanted to get the family pack that they are offering, 4 tix, hotdogs and drinks. I asked if I could get the 5th at the same price. Wouldn't do it, that one would be full price. Wanted to sell me 10 tickets at the group rate of $23. I'm going for the discount to get five $25 tickets and he wanted me to spend $105 more. They could have had $125, but now they'll get nothing and like it!

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Youth hockey is vital and I know steps are being taken to introduce more street hockey to youngsters. A STH referral program is also being discussed (points earned to be used for vendor, team store, etc).

I loved the earlier comment about what LA is doing. Would be interesting to see the 70,000 or so Cardinal STHs to get free tickets to a Yotes game.

Also, need to do more for EV residents who still make a large portion of the fan (and STH) base. Bus transfers, later start times to weeknight games, etc.

Last edited:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Just talked to one of the ticket reps. I have 5 people who want to go to the game Saturday; me, the wife and 3 daughters. I wanted to get the family pack that they are offering, 4 tix, hotdogs and drinks. I asked if I could get the 5th at the same price. Wouldn't do it, that one would be full price. Wanted to sell me 10 tickets at the group rate of $23. I'm going for the discount to get five $25 tickets and he wanted me to spend $105 more. They could have had $125, but now they'll get nothing and like it!
Unacceptable response. I would share that feedback with [email protected]. Anthony LeBlanc created for fan ideas, clearly adding a 5th (or 6th or 7th or 8th) person should be accommodated.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
That is unacceptable. I just checked the family pack for the Sharks and they let you buy 4 to 10 tickets at the family pack price. Someone at the Coyotes didn't completely think this one though.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Unacceptable response. I would share that feedback with [email protected]. Anthony LeBlanc created for fan ideas, clearly adding a 5th (or 6th or 7th or 8th) person should be accommodated.

I'll try that then. I could see not giving it for two or three but I wanted more. There was even a block of 5 seats that I wanted on ticketmaster. You won't be able to sell them there since it would leave a single seat.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Youth hockey is vital and I know steps are being taken to introduce more street hockey to youngsters. A STH referral program is also being discussed (points earned to be used for vendor, team store, etc).

I loved the earlier comment about what LA is doing. Would be interesting to see the 70,000 or so Cardinal STHs to get free tickets to a Yotes game.

Also, need to do more for EV residents who still make a large portion of the fan (and STH) base. Bus transfers, later start times to weeknight games, etc.

It is imperative but Phoenix is a different animal than LA is/was. The amount of money that flowed through hockey in Southern California in the late 90s and early 2000s just doesnt exist anymore. I literally had parents spending $20k a year so their kids could play at an elite level. That coupled with what Turcotte built in Westminster, which grew into other rinks was a ton of hard work but it also required a lot of cash. It's been hockey's downfall for growth in certain areas. That group of kids between 89 and 94 had some great players who've made their own mark on the sport. Say what you want about Mike Barnett, etc, but Mike brought a lot of that to the desert when he came. There was a vision as a whole. Not sure where it stands anymore as I've been out of development since 09' but I do know, a lot of the guys who went to AZ have gone back to other areas.

All in all, it's going to be a long haul for permanent success. The location of the rink, youth participation, etc, is all secondary right now to the product on the ice.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
The Gordie Howe Story is coming out on Netflix. No release date yet.

I come from Boston. So I grew up with Hockey. But after moving south, I took many a friend to Hockey Games. What I found, the game sells itself. Once the rules are explained. And People know what's going on and why. Even those who only saw ice in their drinks. Really enjoy this Game. I had more than One Friend become a Season Ticket Holder the next season.

I took a friend and his son to a game. He knew about hockey but heard it was a really violent game with fighting all the time. Mind you, he watches the NFL and has no issues. When he went to a game, he saw that it is a tough sport but not a bunch of idiots just throwing punches all the time for no reason. I told him the fights actually minimize the violence and allow scores to be settled quickly. It's not meant to glorify violence. When I explained the rules to him, he really liked it because it reminded him of soccer. He was hooked

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
I took a friend and his son to a game. He knew about hockey but heard it was a really violent game with fighting all the time. Mind you, he watches the NFL and has no issues. When he went to a game, he saw that it is a tough sport but not a bunch of idiots just throwing punches all the time for no reason. I told him the fights actually minimize the violence and allow scores to be settled quickly. It's not meant to glorify violence. When I explained the rules to him, he really liked it because it reminded him of soccer. He was hooked

Yea they just have to see it in person. Far too many movies and people who don't know what they are talking about bad mouth, or misrepresent the Game. I always felt Hockey is a game that speaks for itself. The Old ESPN Board. As soon as a Hockey thread would show up. There would be 5 people on it to bad mouth Hockey. Never understood it. Well it was ESPN. Not know for its love of Hockey. But You take people and show them the game. Most fall in love with it on some level.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
It is imperative but Phoenix is a different animal than LA is/was. The amount of money that flowed through hockey in Southern California in the late 90s and early 2000s just doesnt exist anymore. I literally had parents spending $20k a year so their kids could play at an elite level. That coupled with what Turcotte built in Westminster, which grew into other rinks was a ton of hard work but it also required a lot of cash. It's been hockey's downfall for growth in certain areas. That group of kids between 89 and 94 had some great players who've made their own mark on the sport. Say what you want about Mike Barnett, etc, but Mike brought a lot of that to the desert when he came. There was a vision as a whole. Not sure where it stands anymore as I've been out of development since 09' but I do know, a lot of the guys who went to AZ have gone back to other areas.

All in all, it's going to be a long haul for permanent success. The location of the rink, youth participation, etc, is all secondary right now to the product on the ice.

I can relate to what you said above. When I moved here in the late 90's, there was a hockey youth movement. There were more hockey related stores. The rinks seemed busier. Hockey was televised more at the local bars. I remember watching Coyotes games at McDuffy's in Tempe and the waitress knew the players were. Granted, it was considered trendy due to the excitement of having a hockey team but the culture was definitely stronger back then even though the Valley as a whole was a lot smaller and less developed. Corporations had hockey teams that would compete after work. People were learning to skate well so they could pick up hockey and play after work with their friends. It was definitely more hyped and a part of the Valley culture then.

I think we can recapture that. And it seems like our new owners are committed to this. However, we lost a lot of that zeal that was present back then.

But I do agree that winning cures all here. Phoenix is so desperate for a winner. We are not spoiled by winning championships like NY, Boston and L.A. So I think a Stanley Cup appearance would really resonate in this city and recapture some of that love for the game.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I can relate to what you said above. When I moved here in the late 90's, there was a hockey youth movement. There were more hockey related stores. The rinks seemed busier. Hockey was televised more at the local bars. I remember watching Coyotes games at McDuffy's in Tempe and the waitress knew the players were. Granted, it was considered trendy due to the excitement of having a hockey team but the culture was definitely stronger back then even though the Valley as a whole was a lot smaller and less developed. Corporations had hockey teams that would compete after work. People were learning to skate well so they could pick up hockey and play after work with their friends. It was definitely more hyped and a part of the Valley culture then.

I think we can recapture that. And it seems like our new owners are committed to this. However, we lost a lot of that zeal that was present back then.

But I do agree that winning cures all here. Phoenix is so desperate for a winner. We are not spoiled by winning championships like NY, Boston and L.A. So I think a Stanley Cup appearance would really resonate in this city and recapture some of that love for the game.

There's some pretty good points here. Solid post.

Canadian Wampa

Feb 1, 2012
Though I'm not a US citizen, my best friend is currently a gym teacher at a public school in Arizona, and he tells me that since he started running road hockey games during class, he's seen quite a few people becoming interested with the sport.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
My father-in-law lives in Yuma and told someone that he was going to the game last night. They were totally unaware that we had an NHL team. Maybe when they become the ARIZONA Coyotes.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Years ago they used to run buses from bars in the east valley out to the games and then back again after. I remember this happening at the Old Chicago on Alma School and the US60. Anthony LeBlanc referenced the possibility of bringing this back during a radio interview after he closed on the team. I told a few friends about this and they thought it was GREAT. I hope they start doing this soon. I think it would be an awesome way to get more fans going from the East side.

joshkitty

Nov 17, 2013
Montreal

Hey guys. I have some family ties with the new ownership. I forwarded your comment and LeBlanc has been informed. They said that they will take care of it and make the accomodations from now on.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Hey guys. I have some family ties with the new ownership. I forwarded your comment and LeBlanc has been informed. They said that they will take care of it and make the accomodations from now on.
Ohh, the things they would see if Maloney and LeBlanc frequented forum=40 ... unless ......

Welcome to the board, josh.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Well, I don't live in AZ, so I can't drag people to games with me. Though I did dissuade someone from becoming a Kings fan, so that's just as good I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad