Thoughts on Recruiting Fans?

Discussion in 'Arizona Coyotes' started by coyotes, Nov 3, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. coyotes

coyotes Registered User

I know this is a controversial subject, but what are your thoughts regarding recruiting fans to become Coyotes fans? I understand the notion that we shouldn't have to rally people to become fans of the team. This is a great team and people should want to come out and see the team. In other markets, people will give their left arm to become season ticket holders and see games.

I understand all of this, but I'm also practical. We need more fans if we intend to keep this team over the long term. I've converted dozens of Valley residents into Coyotes fans. Valley residents need a little hand holding. You will need to accompany them to a game. You will have to explain some of the rules. You will have to show them what hockey is all about. Maybe purchase a close friend or loved one a jersey. But once these fans understand what the Coyotes and game is all about, they are hooked. It takes a little effort on our part, but it works. A lot of people in the Valley are from non-hockey areas and have never been exposed to a live game nor do they understand the rules. How do you guys feel about this? Do any of you do the same?

2. TickleMeYandle

TickleMeYandle Not so fast,

I try to get my students into hockey in general, then coyotes specifically. I've given tickets to them, we watch the Maurice Richard movie, I have posters I my classroom. I've brought in my gloves so they can try throwing them down. They all know who raffi is, even though he's not a yote anymore.

3. JTPoni23

JTPoni23 Registered User

Student
    This made me smile. Your classroom sounds like what I grew up with in Canada, except less of the recruiting part haha. So awesome to hear you're doing this, hopefully some of your students become future season ticket holders :)

This is truly what growing the game is about!

4. TickleMeYandle

TickleMeYandle Not so fast,

I'm lucky in that teaching French, I'm allowed to talk about Canada with the full backing of the district curriculum. And you can't talk Canada without talking hockey!

They love the Rocket movie. To the effect that they all really believe that the Habs are the most amazing team EVER and that they will kick everyone else's butts. I have to explain to them that the Richard era was like 50+ years ago and that doesn't mean that the Habs are good at the present time!

2 years ago I arranged for a group to go to a game and we all sat together in the upper level. I showed them a nice little hockey 101 powerpoint that I made up and told them which players they should watch for. The kids made banners and signs and took them to warm-ups. It was the Alice Cooper bobblehead night. We all had a blast and they were all watching in the hopes that there would be a fight or something. Then the game started and they ended up watching because it was interesting and exciting. They ended up following the team through their play-off run and hopefully some of them are still watching games!

5. Katie Connauton

Katie Connauton Banned

Choir director
    I like to bring friends and family to games, and it's not too expensive since I have season tickets and can just add a seat for them. I got this one friend completely hooked already. She's been to 4 games now, and one was even without me (the Saturday matinee game where I had to work, I just gave her my ticket).

She's fun to go to games with and wants to go to every game she can for the rest of the season.

6. Fallenone

Fallenone Registered User

The Gordie Howe Story is coming out on Netflix. No release date yet.

I come from Boston. So I grew up with Hockey. But after moving south, I took many a friend to Hockey Games. What I found, the game sells itself. Once the rules are explained. And People know what's going on and why. Even those who only saw ice in their drinks. Really enjoy this Game. I had more than One Friend become a Season Ticket Holder the next season.

7. krepitch

krepitch Coyote Fan

I'd like to see more games shown on over-the-air tv and I'd really like to see some advancement in the camera technology used at the arena. I think if you had cameras in goal posts, on the boards, overhead (like in the NFL), you could get some really interesting video that could get people interested and also be used to explain what happened (because a lot of that footage would be used on replays).

The high camera angles let you see how plays develop, of course, but I don't think the average person appreciates the speed, skill, and intensity of the game at ice level. If people could see more of that, I think they'd be more interested.

8. BarkingMad

BarkingMad Once and Future King

PG in Ancient History
    I sure would love to experience it! I have an idea in my head of what it would be like but I'm sure the reality would surpass that. It's great hearing these recruitment stories though. Due to where I'm based its not the same but I still make sure my housemates get their regular fix of game highlights and even some of my course mates recognise the team even though they know zilch about hockey :D

9. ClassLessCoyote

ClassLessCoyote Staying classy

Yea because Anaheim still has a Season Ticket Waitlist going on since they won their 1st cup. :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

The Kings still have a wait list going for all partial season ticket plans as a result of 2 deep playoff runs the past 2 seasons. :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

The Sharks have finally got their 1st wait list ever after years of winning. :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

Try again!

10. Katie Connauton

Katie Connauton Banned

Choir director
    On a vaguely related note I did some research on full season packages for all 30 NHL teams for the same equivalent of a seat where I sit with the Coyotes. Only something like 6 teams broke the 2k mark and the Kings were one of them. The vast majority was in the 1300-1800 range, with the Coyotes, Islanders, Ducks, Panthers, and Stars being the only teams under 1k.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=73625697&postcount=473

That's the full list if anyone's interested.

11. ClassLessCoyote

ClassLessCoyote Staying classy

Nice list and just to add many of those season ticket packages for the Anaheim Galaxy are also lumped in package where the ticket holder had to buy Lakers and Clippers season tickets as well.

That ticket package is called the Premier Ticket Package. Seeing how the Lakers are still the big show in LA with a wait list for Lakers season tickets by themselves, it's this package that gives other the ability to buy Lakers Season Tickets on the condition they buy season tickets for the other NBA team and NHL team there.

Make you wonder how high that wait list for the Wheatkings would be if such a ticket package wouldn't be available.

http://www.staplescenter.com/ticketing/premier-seats

12. AZPenguins

AZPenguins Registered User

This is something I hope the team does a better job of. There are a lot of hockey fans in the area but a lot of them are like my family, we are transplants that are die hard Penguin fans and have been for years. I am not going to give up "my team" just because I no longer live in western PA. For people like me the Coyotes are my B team but I actually spend WAY more money on them than I do the Penguins.

The team should sell packages for the different divisions. That way I could buy a package to go to the Pens game to cheer for the Pens and the other 7 games against Met teams I would be rooting for the Coyotes. This is what I did when I first started getting a package to help turn my wife into a Coyotes fan. She already knew (and disliked) the players from the other teams so it was easy for her to continue to root against them.

13. NHLfan4life

NHLfan4life Who is PKP???

I see good and bad in the division package strategy. It only has one purpose and that would be to fill seats. They would be essentially catering to the away crowd. I wouldn't want that to be a big part of the overall business model, especially over the long term. Getting butts in seats in the short term, sure, but it should be something to fill in the gaps.

The trend of seeing a lot of visitor's jerseys seems to be diminishing, especially in the past 4 years. A division package may reverse that or slow it down. JMHO.

14. Vip

Vip Registered User

There is nothing wrong with it.

15. GiveAFlyingPuck

GiveAFlyingPuck Try going to the net.

Brute squads going door to door?

16. ck26

ck26 Alcoholab User

[Russian accent] If you don't come to Coyotes, Coyotes come to you. [/Russian accent]

17. RR

RR Registered User

Serial entrepreuneur
    Our partners <1k for a ST looks about right. What I'm really surprised at is the Kings being in the top-6.

18. Auger

Auger Registered User

Hey I was just interested in what row your seats are in? When I looked at your picture it looked like maybe row 35~? Im just curious because I can't imagine that your numbers are correct. When I had season tickets for the Canucks (last year) I paid around 11 grand

19. Petes2424

Petes2424 Registered User

Unfortunately in the middle of a desert, there's only one thing that is going to work... Winning and advertise that youre winning... That and strippers in the stands of course

20. CC96

CC96 Serious Offender

Student
    That's the answer, right there.

21. JTPoni23

JTPoni23 Registered User

Student
    Maybe Gosbee can post updated standings on those billboards :)

22. Petes2424

Petes2424 Registered User

Strip club advertising happy hour for east coast games always works..

23. awfulwaffle

awfulwaffle Registered User

Accountant
    We don't have a row 36 in the upper bowl.

24. Jakey53

Jakey53 Registered User

My thoughts exactly.:handclap:

25. Mayo Taco Monday

Mayo Taco Monday Registered User

Asbestos Microscopist
    I would hope that the coyotes would market to the latino market. A spanish language broadcast would be good. At least it would be good for my fiancees family. I am getting them into hockey and it really hasn't been that hard once I convinced them it was quite similar to soccer.