Proposal: Thoughts on Ottawa bringing in Fresh Blood to Front Office

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Please post where i have ever said this ,or dont post it please.I have admitted time and time again he hasnt been perfect ,but this nosensical approach that everything is his fault get tiresome .We have had some issues on the team ,some were mistakes by BM .But his overall body of work has been pretty good given the circumstances in which he has had to work with.

The coaching issue ,is the best one .Most people fail to realise Ottawa has had a policy of not letting incoming coaches pick both assistant ,s since Martin .Remember teflon Greg Carvel and how he outlasted a few coaches.Add in the fact that EM or the previous management has never spent big dollars on a coach ever .So knowing this do you not think it may have been difficult if not impossible ,to actually hire the big name coach??

If you think brining in a big name head coach is the core/fundamental issue here, your delusional. They could bring in any big name coach potentially available this summer like a Julien, Hitchcock, heck even Scott Bowman IN HIS PRIME couldn't turn this team into a top stanley cup contender...This team is poorly constructed and that's not the coaches fault/responsibility

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If you think brining in a big name head coach is the core/fundamental issue here, your delusional. They could bring in any big name coach potentially available this summer like a Julien, Hitchcock, heck even Scott Bowman IN HIS PRIME couldn't turn this team into a top 4 stanley cup contender...This team is poorly constructed and that's not the coaches fault/responsibility
Did you even read what i wrote ,Pierre Maquire even stated this ,that Ottawa is on of a few teams that makes it team policy not to have any coach hire both assistants.Due to the very fact they want a window into the dressing room at all times,this isnt something new Jaques Martin had Greg Carvel as the brass,s hire and would report on the status of the locker room to them:shakehead.Think a guy like Hitchcock is going to go for something like that??if you do then you are the one that is delusional

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Please post where i have ever said this ,or dont post it please.I have admitted time and time again he hasnt been perfect ,but this nosensical approach that everything is his fault get tiresome .We have had some issues on the team ,some were mistakes by BM .But his overall body of work has been pretty good given the circumstances in which he has had to work with.

The coaching issue ,is the best one .Most people fail to realise Ottawa has had a policy of not letting incoming coaches pick both assistant ,s since Martin .Remember teflon Greg Carvel and how he outlasted a few coaches.Add in the fact that EM or the previous management has never spent big dollars on a coach ever .So knowing this do you not think it may have been difficult if not impossible ,to actually hire the big name coach??

Well if you read any of my posts it's pretty clear I don't blame Murray fir everything that is wrong with this team. Maybe others do I don't know. I can certainly understand why you would be frustrated to read that because our problems are not all on one guy. I don't believe all our problems are Dave Cameron's fault either, but I've read many posts here (not yours) that blame him for everything that is wrong with our team.

Cameron may be part of our problem. Murray may be part of our problem. Melnyk is certainly part of our problem, and our roster is part of our problem. I don't like to blame one thing or one person for the position we find ourselves in. I think it's a combination of a lot of different things.

By the way I was being facetious when I said you liked all of Murray's moves. ;)

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
I would be ok with George McPhee. Outside of the Forsberg/Erat trade which was done out of desperation, he had an excellent track record in Washington.

I shudder to think how good Washington would be if they had kept Forsberg....

I agree. I think McPhee would make a great choice. A solid track record. Would make a great GM here or president of Hockey Ops

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Murray has hired as many different head coaches as we had in the entire previous history of the modern Senators.

It's just time to move on.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If you see the article in the Sun this morning, take a look at the picture of Murray. That's not a healthy man. No chance he'll be GM next year.

His only real fault, is believing in the best of others, and having too much faith in people. He sees the positive in people. He gives players, coaches, and even off ice staff every chance to prove themselves and move up. It's his faith in folks that allowed low draft picks like Stone and Hoffman the opportunity to make it to the NHL. Many other teams would never have shown patience with them. That also leads to kids like Cowen and Greening getting a super long leash.

I'd much rather have a GM who give our kids every chance to succeed, than one on a strict timeline who will throw away diamonds in the rough.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
If you see the article in the Sun this morning, take a look at the picture of Murray. That's not a healthy man. No chance he'll be GM next year.

His only real fault, is believing in the best of others, and having too much faith in people. He sees the positive in people. He gives players, coaches, and even off ice staff every chance to prove themselves and move up. It's his faith in folks that allowed low draft picks like Stone and Hoffman the opportunity to make it to the NHL. Many other teams would never have shown patience with them. That also leads to kids like Cowen and Greening getting a super long leash.

I'd much rather have a GM who give our kids every chance to succeed, than one on a strict timeline who will throw away diamonds in the rough.

His sound bite on the news last night seemed to indicate he did not want to goo out after a disastrous season - he'd like to make moves to turn it around. Bothers me to hear things like that. He needs to go now so new blood can make the next choices. Coaches included.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

You're joking right? The guy looks a hell of a lot better than the press conference when he came out with the bad news. Sure he looks a little thinner but he has put back on much of the weight he has lost.

Regardless of where they got picked each team has to choose somebody in the draft. Saying he gave players like Stone and Hoffman a chance just by picking them seems a little funny. he passed over both of them for other players. His job is his job. Sugar coating it doesn't change anything.

Over his tenure with the Sens He has proven to be an average Gm.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
His sound bite on the news last night seemed to indicate he did not want to goo out after a disastrous season - he'd like to make moves to turn it around. Bothers me to hear things like that. He needs to go now so new blood can make the next choices. Coaches included.

The article indicated Murray would announce his decision right after game #82. He also mentioned that he had made some mistakes, and didn't like going out that way, but it is what it is. Feels like he's leaving, to me. I don't think his health is giving him any other options.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008

His pro scouts have also been suspect. Acquiring guys like Chiasson, Cheechoo, Conacher ...

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
His pro scouts have also been suspect. Acquiring guys like Chiasson, Cheechoo, Conacher ...

We had to take Cheechoo in that deal. It wasn't because we wanted him. Conacher and Chiasson were young and having some personal success when we acquired them. Too bad they shut the bed here.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We had to take Cheechoo in that deal. It wasn't because we wanted him. Conacher and Chiasson were young and having some personal success when we acquired them. Too bad they shut the bed here.

Makes you seriously question our pro scouts. Trading for Chiasson, Conacher, Ryan, Legawand, Kovalev, J. Smith, Hemsky, Filatov, Campoli - who's evaluating these guys? All slow, all with low compete levels, all one dimensional players we gave up big assets or big $$$ to get them.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Makes you seriously question our pro scouts. Trading for Chiasson, Conacher, Ryan, Legawand, Kovalev, J. Smith, Hemsky, Filatov, Campoli - who's evaluating these guys? All slow, all with low compete levels, all one dimensional players we gave up big assets or big $$$ to get them.

Here we go.

Chiasson: Fair. Was not a fan of him at the time of the trade and his numbers were pretty inflated through an unsustainable shooting percentage and ample powerplay time. Swing and a miss, even considering the tough situation Spezza put us in.

Conacher: Only a bad deal with the benefit of hindsight. Sure looked like a player in Tampa.

Ryan: Your dislike for Ryan is well-documented and I have no interest in getting into that again. Suffice it to say that I don't think he belongs on this list.

Legwand: Low risk, low reward, no harm in trying him out. No big assets or big cash given out on this one.

Kovalev: Not a pro scouting decision. A Melnyk decision.

Smith: UFA, veteran presence, more of a locker room guy. At $2.6M, an overpay for sure. But hardly "big assets or big $$$."

Hemsky: Timing of the trade might've been questionable, but Hemsky himself was every bit as good as he was expected to be.

Filatov: You're joking with this one, right? He cost us a 6th-round pick. Low risk, exceptionally high reward if he panned out. He didn't. We lost a 6th round pick. Whooptee-doo.

Campoli: Yeah, okay. Still not sure I understand the attachment to such a mediocre defenceman. Fair enough.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Bingo ,patience is a very key thing to have when you are trying to build a cup winner .

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Here we go.

Chiasson: Fair. Was not a fan of him at the time of the trade and his numbers were pretty inflated through an unsustainable shooting percentage and ample powerplay time. Swing and a miss, even considering the tough situation Spezza put us in.

Conacher: Only a bad deal with the benefit of hindsight. Sure looked like a player in Tampa.

Ryan: Your dislike for Ryan is well-documented and I have no interest in getting into that again. Suffice it to say that I don't think he belongs on this list.

Legwand: Low risk, low reward, no harm in trying him out. No big assets or big cash given out on this one.

Smith: UFA, veteran presence, more of a locker room guy. At $2.6M, an overpay for sure. But hardly "big assets or big $$$."

Hemsky: Timing of the trade might've been questionable, but Hemsky himself was every bit as good as he was expected to be.

Filatov: You're joking with this one, right? He cost us a 6th-round pick. Low risk, exceptionally high reward if he panned out. He didn't. We lost a 6th round pick. Whooptee-doo.

Campoli: Yeah, okay. Still not sure I understand the attachment to such a mediocre defenceman. Fair enough.
Cheap cap hit on a younger dman witrh some potential upside .A late first is usually what they went for back then,and BM got some decent years out of him ,then swapped him for a 2nd and a prospect.Too Chicago ,whom around here never makes mistakes

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Interesting article by Sylvain St Laurent on Patrick Weircoche. PW says for the last 6 years he's felt he's been trade bait (which is true - even Murray said he couldn't trade him a last year) but PW says this is something that has gone on with most players in Ottawa and it effects them, and he wants to move on to a team that wants him.

Ive always felt Murray doesn't defend his players or coaches well at all. Young players like PW, Zibby is now in the press for a trade, Hoffman, Ceci was in the trade news this year, Bishop and Lehner, Zach Smith last year, Anderson admitted he was on one and needles before Lehner was traded - all this to say that management has not defended their players. It is a business, but when you have players like PW coming out while still in uniform and saying him and most of his teammates have lived with the trade winds over the names for 6 years it effects you and your psyche.

This is one hint I'd love to see, whe Martin was here there were never ru ours, he stuck with u players, he shot down any trade rumours of any sort and never moved young core players.

Something to note as we look for new leadership.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Here we go.

Defend it all you want but these are all slow players, all low compete levels and all acquired and paid money. it says something about management when they continually are out acquiring players that go agains the mold of what is working in the NHL.

If you want to look at our 2 biggest issues, team speed and team compete - look at the players we have traded for or signed and it becomes very clear why we are at where we are at

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Interesting article by Sylvain St Laurent on Patrick Weircoche. PW says for the last 6 years he's felt he's been trade bait (which is true - even Murray said he couldn't trade him a last year) but PW says this is something that has gone on with most players in Ottawa and it effects them, and he wants to move on to a team that wants him.

Ive always felt Murray doesn't defend his players or coaches well at all. Young players like PW, Zibby is now in the press for a trade, Hoffman, Ceci was in the trade news this year, Bishop and Lehner, Zach Smith last year, Anderson admitted he was on one and needles before Lehner was traded - all this to say that management has not defended their players. It is a business, but when you have players like PW coming out while still in uniform and saying him and most of his teammates have loved with the trade winds over the names for 6 years it effects you and your psyche.

This is one hint I'd love to see, whe Martin was here there were never ru ours, he stuck with u players, he shot down any trade rumours of any sort and never moved young core players.

Something to note as we look for new leadership.
PW in all rights would have been outta the league years ago ,if not for BM .Blaming the gm that gave you a shot to prove your worth ,and then not living up to your end of the bargin .Is what this smacks of entirely

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Defend it all you want but these are all slow players, all low compete levels and all acquired and paid money. it says something about management when they continually are out acquiring players that go agains the mold of what is working in the NHL.

If you want to look at our 2 biggest issues, team speed and team compete - look at the players we have traded for or signed and it becomes very clear why we are at where we are at
Other than Ryan nobody on this list was going to have any bearing on us winning cups ,they were filler and nothing more. Trying to validate ,an opinion on the GM,s supposed bad moves based on this list is just a reach .And nothing else

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
PW in all rights would have been outta the league years ago ,if not for BM .Blaming the gm that gave you a shot to prove your worth ,and then not living up to your end of the bargin .Is what this smacks of entirely

this is information from a signed player in our locker room speaking of a bigger issue of trust between players and management

If you want to turn it into'if Bryan Murray wasn't such a bad GM for 6 years he'd not even be in the NHL' then that's fine, but I think you're missing the point entirely.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Other than Ryan nobody on this list was going to have any bearing on us winning cups ,they were filler and nothing more. Trying to validate ,an opinion on the GM,s supposed bad moves based on this list is just a reach .And nothing else

But it goes to the team building philosaphy... A GM with a system does not target slow players who don't compete.

The NHL has become a fast puck protection league.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Tuna, repeating the same thing you said in your initial post is entirely useless for debate. And if you're just looking for a place to say your piece without engaging in debate, maybe a message board isn't the right place.

Filatov wasn't slow. Kovalev wasn't slow. Conacher wasn't slow. Hemsky wasn't slow. Campoli wasn't slow. How exactly does one measure compete level? How are any of these players going "against the mold of what is working in the NHL" when, with the exception of Smith (who retired) and Filatov (who bolted back home,) everyone else on your list either found another landing spot in the NHL or is still gainfully employed in the league today?

Repeating the same thing over and over again doesn't make it true, sorry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad