Thoughts on Julien's benching...

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
I like the idea of taking a way ice time as a way of sparking guys who aren't playing well or to send a message to the team in general. I think it should have been done long before now.

That being said, I was perplexed by the timing and to some extent the player.

That was a semi-big game last night, and you opted to take out a veteran guy who can play wing or center, kill penalties, and come up big on draws. You also had Krejci coming back from an injury, and if Pevs is out, that means you have a rookie centering your third line with a another young player in Caron and a washed-up Jay Pandolfo. Claude obviously felt that the message he was sending was more important than any one game, or else he wouldn't have done it.

I just think it's odd. I can't remember too many instances where Claude has sat veteran players that have a track record with this team. My questions would be, why now? and why this player?

To me, Horton has been even worse than Peverly, and a lot more is expected of him. Furthermore, sitting a top player like Horton likely sends more of a message than sitting Peverly.

It didn't seem to have much affect on the guys last night because they were flat for most of the game, but I do think it's good that they understand that the way you play will affect your ice time.

When I first saw it, I immediately thought something might be up with a trade, and who knows, maybe there is. I seem to remember Mark Stuart being scratched several times leading up to when he was dealt.

I just think there is something more to it than what they are telling us. Peverly was singled out for his bad play, but I am just not sure why it was him over anybody else.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
That's not as easy an answer as you think.

Granted you could easily argue Peverley, but when you consider he's on the PK and PP, takes faceoffs on the right-hand side, and he's often the guy CJ slides up to fill gaps, I would argue benching Horton has the least impact. He doesn't fight any more, he doesn't score much lately, and he's otherwise either somewhat engaged or a passenger.

Are you saying that Peverly have more scoring touch then Horton? If so, the Bruins are in trouble. I really don't like the fact that Horton is floating for an awful lot of time but fact is: he's way better around the net then Peverly.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
This discussion is not zeroing in...

Reasonable minds can differ on whether Peverley deserves to be benched. That's a fine debate.

But what we are talking abouthere is benching him LAST NIGHT. Krejci was clearly hobbled, Spooner was playing game #3, and Jay (are you kidding me?) Pandolfo was in the lineup.

Peverley got benched (despite being the first guy CJ uses to plus top 6 holes), on a night he was dressing a guy who might not make it through the first, a rookie, and a guy who probably would play 4th line the AHL.

That's the issue here. Timing.

Last edited:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Are you saying that Peverly have more scoring touch then Horton? If so, the Bruins are in trouble. I really don't like the fact that Horton is floating for an awful lot of time but fact is: he's way better around the net then Peverly.

No I'm saying scoring touch isn't the most important thing in hockey. Are you arguing it is? If it is, 85% of this team doesn't belong in the NHL.

I mean seriously. You asked me "which benching would have the least impact" on the team. You didn't ask me who the best scorer was.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Who cares at this point, neither player is doing what they are counted on to do, Pevs just an easy out

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Was it to send a message?
Was it effective?
Was Peverly the correct player chosen?
You think he might be trade bait?

1. Yes. And hopefully to more players than just him (Horton, Lucic, were you paying attention?).
2. Can't possibly know until he's back on the ice playing.
3. Hoping he's just the first of many.
4. No, I don't think so. Horton, on the other hand...

I simply don't grasp the hesitation to play Spooner with Peverley and Caron on that 3rd line...
This may happen soon enough, assuming Spooner stays up.

However, spitballing here...what kind of return do you think the Bs get for Horton and Spooner?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
1. Yes. And hopefully to more players than just him (Horton, Lucic, were you paying attention?).
2. Can't possibly know until he's back on the ice playing.
3. Hoping he's just the first of many.
4. No, I don't think so. Horton, on the other hand...

This may happen soon enough, assuming Spooner stays up.

However, spitballing here...what kind of return do you think the Bs get for Horton and Spooner?

I don't follow why a team out of the playoff hunt would want Horton. And since the Bruins could reasonably expect a quality player for that package (like better than Horton), why would a playoff team make that deal?

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

Not enough to justify making that deal.

People better get used to the idea of Horton being a big part of whether we make a successful cup run. He's generating a ton of SOG, just need to hope they start falling.

Andrew83

Dec 15, 2010
Boston
Peverley has a good track record and I can't imagine he's the main reason the 3rd line hasn't been doing well this year. I don't understand Pandolfo at all unless they're trying to showcase him as a throw-in for a trade (is some team out there lacking any kind of veteran presence in their locker room?).

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Reasonable minds can differ on whether Peverley deserves to be benched. That's a fine debate.

But what we are talking abouthere is benching him LAST NIGHT. Krejci was clearly hobbled, Spooner was playing game #3, and Jay (are you kidding me?) Pandolfo was in the lineup.

Peverley got benched (despite being the first guy CJ uses to plus top 6 holes), on a night he was dressing a guy who might not make it through the first, a rookie, and a guy who probably would play 4th line the AHL.

That's the issue here. Timing.

Yes, these points make it all the more curious.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Do you mean 18?

:laugh: Yes, my bad.

Fwiw, I think Pandolfo is giving them exactly what they expected. I know he's the new whipping boy, but he gives pro effort in terms of his compete level and willingness to sacrifice the body to get pucks out or take hits to make plays, he's competent defensively, and a solid PK'er. He's nobody's ideal solution, but I think they're comfortable trading zero offense for an NHL caliber player in those specific areas while Kelly is down. He's replacing those elements. When Kelly comes back, Pandolfo will go back to being the 13/14 forward.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I'd like to see how he responds. Or maybe he's going to be traded?

The Bruins won so it's not like they threw away the points to send a message.

The thing that I didn't like about it, besides Pandolfo in the lineup, was that the players didn't seem to react to it, they played the same way they have for the past few weeks. Like it was no big deal that one of their regulars got scratched and the same could happen to them.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
I'm still trying to understand the thought process sure he's not piling up points ....

absolutely NO chemistry with those two wingers ... even spooner didn't know were they where !! Brutal

Sorry Caron but your doing Jack sshhh too ... J Darn your awful get this turtle OFF !!

My biggest question why did ference get to play through bad games costing a goal a game basically :nod: sure Quadiers hurt now but Johnson could have replaced him earlier ....

IF that Ottawa game suppose too teach Pevs ... maybe cloode should have told the rest of the guys too skate ??
Even my mother called me to tell me she's going to bed half way through the 2nd cause there boring her and making her sleepy !!

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

Fwiw, I think Pandolfo is giving them exactly what they expected. I know he's the new whipping boy, but he gives pro effort in terms of his compete level and willingness to sacrifice the body to get pucks out or take hits to make plays, he's competent defensively, and a solid PK'er. He's nobody's ideal solution, but I think they're comfortable trading zero offense for an NHL caliber player in those specific areas while Kelly is down. He's replacing those elements. When Kelly comes back, Pandolfo will go back to being the 13/14 forward.

Literally every time the team has taken this mentality, they've suffered and it comes with the added "bonus" of there's absolutely no frickin upside to playing Jay Pandolfo.

Remember when they didn't play Marchand in the playoffs and went with a guy who took the body (and quite frankly NEVER gets it past the red line, great, you've cleared your zone, but look out the puck is coming RIGHT back at you) in Trent Whitfield.

I see the same thing with Spooner, I'll take 1 mistake for every 2 plays as opposed to 0 plays, and generally a player is going to have a first 20-30 game NHL learning curve. For me, I'd rather Spooner learn if we're not going to get anything out of that spot than Pandolfo just taking up space because he makes Claude feel safe at night, and I look at the #6 defenseman spot the same way. Rather than eventually getting something out of a guy like Krug, they're sheltering a bottom pair that is never going to be anything more than a bottom pair.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

No question. He's giving them exactly serviceable hockey. He doesn't hurt them and he eats ice time. But in that sense, he's just a sweater. Perfectly fine fill-in for a 3rd/4th liner, but more than a few games is a tough pill to swallow. And certainly ridiculous that he makes the lineup over Peverley. Peverley could drink a 12 pack 30 minutes before game time and give you more than Pandolfo.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I'd like to see how he responds. Or maybe he's going to be traded?

The Bruins won so it's not like they threw away the points to send a message.

The thing that I didn't like about it, besides Pandolfo in the lineup, was that the players didn't seem to react to it, they played the same way they have for the past few weeks. Like it was no big deal that one of their regulars got scratched and the same could happen to them.

The players with ability played fine last night. Bergeron had the big assist, and the other 5 top 6 forwards generated 2 SOG or more despite Krejci clearly being hobbled.

Paille took the ice as our 7th most talented forward (and scored), but think about that. Paille was our 7th most talented forward on the ice. That's why I didn't like it. Team is thin enough, why bench a talented player for an anchor?

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
The players with ability played fine last night. Bergeron had the big assist, and the other 5 top 6 forwards generated 2 SOG or more despite Krejci clearly being hobbled.

Paille took the ice as our 7th most talented forward (and scored), but think about that. Paille was our 7th most talented forward on the ice. That's why I didn't like it. Team is thin enough, why bench a talented player for an anchor?

Despite Krejci clearly not being ready, he had 3 shots. Lucic and Horton only had 2.

Not good enough.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Despite Krejci clearly not being ready, he had 3 shots. Lucic and Horton only had 2.

Not good enough.

I think that's right around what their average has been in their careers. If you think that's not good enough, you just think they as players aren't good enough, and I don't believe that to be the case.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
No question. He's giving them exactly serviceable hockey. He doesn't hurt them and he eats ice time. But in that sense, he's just a sweater. Perfectly fine fill-in for a 3rd/4th liner, but more than a few games is a tough pill to swallow. And certainly ridiculous that he makes the lineup over Peverley. Peverley could drink a 12 pack 30 minutes before game time and give you more than Pandolfo.

He has 3 SOG in 10 games. That's not even close to serviceable hockey. That's playing SH at ES.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
My thoughts exactly.

Peverley has been stuck with some absolute black holes for offense on his line this year (Pandolfo, Bourque, Caron and Kelly *this year) --finally a chance to play with a skill guy in Spooner and he gets dumped?

I thought it was a poor call. Put Crosby with those collection of duds this year and I bet my house his production goes waaay down.

Goes both ways though. I'd bet my house the production from the duds would go waaay up too.

Can look at it two ways:

Chris Bourque (and now Pandolfo) dragged Kelly and Pevs down to a level of play that was poor -- not average, not so so, but really really poor.

or

Kelly and Peverly (two veterans making $6M+ between them) are responsible for brining up the play of one of their linemates -- even if that linemate was not Michael Ryder or Benoit Pouliiot.

Peverly (and others on the team) need to look in the mirror and say "why am I not getting it done?" If the answer is "because one of my linemates is not very good" then that's not good enough. And if I'm GM or Coach I call them out (already done), sit them (done last night), or trade them.

Sounds harsh but at this stage of a shortened season, there's no time to win popularity contests with fans or players.

coletta44

Feb 20, 2006
I think CJ is sending a message to PC.He's saying the Campbell line is #3 until you get me something better.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
He has 3 SOG in 10 games. That's not even close to serviceable hockey. That's playing SH at ES.

That's not fair though. If you asked a guy to take the ice and play decent defense, protect the house, don't spend a second worrying about offense, and eat a few minutes of ice time, that's what he's giving you. I agree it's unfortunate we have to dress a guy like that, but at least he's not horrible defensively. But I can't accept suffering through it when a guy like Peverley is in the press box.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
That's not fair though. If you asked a guy to take the ice and play decent defense, protect the house, don't spend a second worrying about offense, and eat a few minutes of ice time, that's what he's giving you. I agree it's unfortunate we have to dress a guy like that, but at least he's not horrible defensively. But I can't accept suffering through it when a guy like Peverley is in the press box.

He brings that entire line down, his linemates don't even look to him for passes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad