Thoughts on Julien's benching...

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Let's hear it from everyone here on Claude Julien's decision to bench 3rd liner Rich Peverly...

Was it to send a message?
Was it effective?
Was Peverly the correct player chosen?
You think he might be trade bait?

I'll post my opinion later in the thread.... but I want everyone's opinions on this topic to be seen in one thread.

Last edited:

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Loved it, should of happened sooner and if kelly wasn't injured i'd pencil him in next.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Sent a message to a guy who has been pretty lethargic this year. First year into his biggest contract ever maybe he's been a little content.

I hope it keeps going. I love Claude.. We are lucky to have him.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I like the idea of it more than the actual practice. I agree that Peverley has been terrible this year (and deserved to be sat for a game), but sitting him and leaving Pandolfo in makes the team worse. I would have bounced Spooner down to the 3rd line and sat Pandolfo to see if Peverley played better with a skilled guy like Spoons before I sat him.

In terms of the trade bait piece, if they did move him, they'd be selling him when his value is low. I don't think it makes sense to do that right now.

Esquire

Feb 21, 2013
CT
Clode said after the game he hopes it is the jolt Pevs needs, so I gues he was trying to send a message but I am not sure why Peverly was singled out. There are other players that could use a night in the press box (Horton comes to mind). When I saw that he was scratched I thought for sure he was being dealt last night. I still think he may be dealt before the deadline.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Let's here it from everyone here on Claude Julien's decision to bench 3rd liner Rich Peverly...

Was it effective?

I'll post my opinion later in the thread.... I want everyone's opinions on this topic to be seen.

Was it to send a message? Yes, definitely.

Was it effective? Not sure. Not the only one to float.

Was Peverly the correct player chosen? Removing him improve the team, not the opposite

You think he might be trade bait? His salary is affordable but i'm not sure there's takers outthere unless the Bruins sweeten the pot.

All in all, there's 3-4 players who deserved to be benched. Problem is: we don't have the depth to do so. Removing Horton or Lucic might very satisfying from a fan standpoint but it make the team less competitive. The odds of seeing Chairelli upgrading significantly the team are slim, very slim. I just don't see PC paying a premium unless a good young player is involved.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
When I watched the 3rd line in previous games, Pevs looked like he was on a different level than his linemates - faster, hungrier, and always driving to the net. IMO, it's the rest of the line that's floating. Nothing against Spooner, but I would have preferred they put Peverley up with Looch and Horty while Krejci was out.

Why CJ benched him, I don't get it. I understand sending a message, but I think he could have done so without playing Pandolfo over him.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Let's here it from everyone here on Claude Julien's decision to bench 3rd liner Rich Peverly...

Was it effective?

I'll post my opinion later in the thread.... but I want everyone's opinions on this topic to be seen in one thread.

Terrible decision. Benching Peverley kept Pandolfo in the lineup.

When Pandolfo plays the Bruins are 6-4
When he doesn't play the Bruins are 14-2-3

I simply don't grasp the hesitation to play Spooner with Peverley and Caron on that 3rd line, and this points to Julien's one flaw as a coach, which is risk aversion. Pandolfo might not make the mistakes Spooner will, but he's also not going to make a single play. He has 3 SOG in 10 games. He's basically making his line play shorthanded without giving them the ability to ice the puck.

gvkmedia

20th Captain in franchise history.
Mar 2, 2002
Oshawa.
www.hollandbloorview.ca
I'm okay with it. The effect was non existant to the team on the ice - we'll see if Pevs plays differently tomorrow.

Why not ice your "best team"? Pandalfo needs to be next. I know that's not much of a message. Spooner needs a few more games to

I know most people are going to pine for Lucic/Horton to visit the press box - and I suppose it is warranted - but not against a division rival.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Clode said after the game he hopes it is the jolt Pevs needs, so I gues he was trying to send a message but I am not sure why Peverly was singled out. There are other players that could use a night in the press box (Horton comes to mind). When I saw that he was scratched I thought for sure he was being dealt last night. I still think he may be dealt before the deadline.

This is what I am not sure about either. Why Pevs, and not one of the many other underachievers on this team.

That 3rd line was basically unplayable without him. The 1st line was bad again, the 2nd line is faltering(Specifically Marchand), and the 4th line was probably our best line last night and had our only legit scoring opportunities.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Was it to send a message? Yes
Was it effective?I think so
Was Peverly the correct player chosen?Yes , he's popular in the room, kind of like pulling your goalie in the middle of a period
You think he might be trade bait?Don't think so, he's versatile, could see him gone after the season

Have to say interesting move by Claude

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Peverley has been pressing. Sitting one night in the press box doesn't have to be solely a "message-sending" move; it also can be a way to give a guy a mental and physical break. A different perspective can help get a player's game back on track, and hopefully it works.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Said it in the other thread too...

I think it means he's being dealt very soon. Three reasons:

1. I can't think of one time CJ has scratched a top 9 forward. He's juggled lines and demoted Lucic and probably others before, but has he ever scratched a clear top 9 forward? I don't think so.

2. If the goal was to make a statement, aren't there more notable, culpable players?

3. Most importantly, why choose a night when you're playing a division adversary, your #1 center is obviously not game ready, and Pandawful is already in your lineup? It's very bizarre timing.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
This is what I am not sure about either. Why Pevs, and not one of the many other underachievers on this team.

the bruins are 2nd in the league for G/A @ 2.07 and peverley has the worst +/- at a -9.

he's the biggest underachiever on the team.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

1. I can't think of one time CJ has scratched a top 9 forward. He's juggled lines and demoted Lucic and probably others before, but has he ever scratched a clear top 9 forward? I don't think so.

2. If the goal was to make a statement, aren't there more notable, culpable players?

3. Most importantly, why choose a night when you're playing a division adversary, your #1 center is obviously not game ready, and Pandawful is already in your lineup? It's very bizarre timing.

Yeah, it was a very curious time to do that. He couldn't have used a day off maybe a game later in Toronto to let Krejci heal (he still looked hobbled)?

Or maybe better still let him play WITH Spooner for a night to see if having someone else with some skill out there with him could jump start his game rather than a night off and then inevitably right back between Pandawful and Caron? Peverley's advanced numbers this season have been fairly good actually. He hasn't been the problem, a little puck luck and he's at a 17 goal pace, which is right around his career. Assist wise, he hasn't had much to work with.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

He sat Ryder in 2011 for a handful of games after calling him out in the media for lack of effort.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
He sat Ryder in 2011 for a handful of games after calling him out in the media for lack of effort.

You could see it from time to time with Ryder though, I haven't seen it with Peverley, I can see frustration, like why do I keep getting linemates who have no clue how to score. But not lack of effort. Also, if Chiarelli signed him to that deal thinking he could carry AHL players and Zombies, he made a bad deal.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

You are correct. Forgot about that. That's one example.

Of course, I would argue that Ryder's laziness was so obvious (and frequent) that it wasn't all that surprising. I haven't heard a single person question Peverley's effort or dedication. Have you?

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI

kessel, ryder, seguin

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You could see it from time to time with Ryder though, I haven't seen it with Peverley, I can see frustration, like why do I keep getting linemates who have no clue how to score. But not lack of effort. Also, if Chiarelli signed him to that deal thinking he could carry AHL players and Zombies, he made a bad deal.

Agreed. You can't expect anyone to roll out with the likes of Pandolfo, Caron, and Chris Bourque and be successful. The guy has some skill, and he's being limited by the players around him.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Terrible decision. Benching Peverley kept Pandolfo in the lineup.

When Pandolfo plays the Bruins are 6-4
When he doesn't play the Bruins are 14-2-3

I simply don't grasp the hesitation to play Spooner with Peverley and Caron on that 3rd line, and this points to Julien's one flaw as a coach, which is risk aversion. Pandolfo might not make the mistakes Spooner will, but he's also not going to make a single play. He has 3 SOG in 10 games. He's basically making his line play shorthanded without giving them the ability to ice the puck.
My thoughts exactly.

Peverley has been stuck with some absolute black holes for offense on his line this year (Pandolfo, Bourque, Caron and Kelly *this year) --finally a chance to play with a skill guy in Spooner and he gets dumped?

I thought it was a poor call. Put Crosby with those collection of duds this year and I bet my house his production goes waaay down.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
the bruins are 2nd in the league for G/A @ 2.07 and peverley has the worst +/- at a -9.

he's the biggest underachiever on the team.

That's a bit misleading. He and Kelly are widely considered two of the more responsible players on the team, and both were saddled with the Bourque experiment. Both guys have bad +/- numbers. I'm disappointed a bit with both of them, but still, they've been better since Caron's arrival.

I'm not even arguing against the concept of Peverley being scratched. It's odd on a normal night, but potentially justifiable. But it is absolutely bizarre on a night when Krejci is obviously injured and you are already dressing Spooner (in his third game) and Pandawful (not an NHL player). The chances you need to sit Spooner or Krejci can't keep up seem almost good. You're going to scratch the one guy you normally use to plug holes at center and wing all over your lineup on THAT night?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You are correct. Forgot about that. That's one example.

Of course, I would argue that Ryder's laziness was so obvious (and frequent) that it wasn't all that surprising. I haven't heard a single person question Peverley's effort or dedication. Have you?

Not at all. Like I said earlier in the thread, I like the idea of sending guys a message more so than the practice of sitting Peverley last night. I think CJ should have rolled a combo of Caron (only because there's nothing better, but in reality he's been invisible), Spooner, and Pevs last night and sat Pandolfo.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
kessel, ryder, seguin

Seguin was a rookie, right?

Kessel was a rookie too, no? And if not, an obvious malcontent with rumored locker issues. Ryder a noted floater.

You're right that there are a few examples, but none of those guys qualify as professional, reliable top 9 hockey players. Seguin has become one, but Kessel and Ryder are exactly the kind of players coaches bench all over the league. Lazy talents. Peverley doesn't fit that bill.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad