Thoughts on Hayes and Olsen

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Figured I would check in and see how you guys feel about these ex-hawks at this point

Steeger has been good for Hawks and fit right back into lockerroom

Looks at least from outside like a win/win though it appears that Hayes still isn't scoring in NHL ,, But Olsen seems solid for you guys so far

Last edited:

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Olsen's played pretty well - his offensive numbers are an aberration, don't see that kind of ability in him to sustain them. But he can play a sound two-way game, is cheap and young.

Hayes I don't see amounting to anything. He has good hands, when he gets opportunities, he can score. But I don't think he's going to be able to keep up with the speed of the NHL game. He has good north-south speed once he gets going, but his lateral mobility is awful.

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
I like what theybring to the table. Olsen has been a homerun, and im not judging on his point production. He plays such a responsible game which is a joy to see. Hayes has been good, but not more than what most of us expected.. 4th line most of the time, and Id like to see him being more physical on the ice.
Definately a win-win trade imo. Im happy versteeg is working out for you guys, because he sure didnt try hard enough here towards the end.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Win Win for Panthers. The floater off Panthers we would been fine with a pick. Olsen is a nice piece that has been very solid. Hayes is meh..

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I like them both. Neither player hurts this team while on the ice. Versteeg was hurting this team at the time of his departure. He doesn't seem like a bad guy so I'm happy he's found his game with the Hawks again.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Love them both, they've brought more than expected and have been hard workers. Love Olsen, can't wait till he's back.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
hayes has been great, a definite on our 4th moving forward. olsen has been great, much better than i was expecting and he has a legit shot at keeping a spot on that 3rd pairing next season (hopefully with petrovic). i hope he gets back in the lineup soon and keeps it up.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
hayes has been great, a definite on our 4th moving forward. olsen has been great, much better than i was expecting and he has a legit shot at keeping a spot on that 3rd pairing next season (hopefully with petrovic). i hope he gets back in the lineup soon and keeps it up.

I wouldn't say Hayes has been great.. He's shown hands around the net, but hasn't really been phenomenal.. I'd say he's been serviceable.

Olson has shown signs of being very solid. I think he deserves some PP time. He shows a willingness to shoot which I love.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I wouldn't say Hayes has been great.. He's shown hands around the net, but hasn't really been phenomenal.. I'd say he's been serviceable.

Olson has shown signs of being very solid. I think he deserves some PP time. He shows a willingness to shoot which I love.
Willingness but also he consistently takes the "right" shot. Glibet will shoot and shoot often but barely ever creates a chance from his shot, Olsen nearly always leads to a scoring chance.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Turned out to be "Fair" for both teams. Chicago got an upgrade at forward, and the Cats got a middle/bottom pairing D-man and a 4th line winger.

If Olsen and Guds can keep up their chemistry, this will be worth having Steeg's salary on the books.

Hayes seems like a decent 4th liner, but I'll be surprised if he is here past next year. Don't see him putting all the pieces together to become anything more than a journeyman

Erick*

Hayes won't stick with one team in the NHL for long.

Olsen has looked like a top-4 D-man. Not only has he played well, but he and Gudbranson seemed to have great chemistry.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Coming off a bruised bone. I think it's more conditioning after not skating for so long.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I see Hayes is playing well for you lately and Pirri seems to be a fit

I have enjoyed Steegers return outside of well his usual flaw (The I think I am Patrick Kane stuff)

Has provided solid secondary play for Hawks ,, At 2.2M well worth it

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
I see Hayes is playing well for you lately and Pirri seems to be a fit

I have enjoyed Steegers return outside of well his usual flaw (The I think I am Patrick Kane stuff)

Has provided solid secondary play for Hawks ,, At 2.2M well worth it

He's definitely found his niche on the power play. Being big infront of the net and deflecting shots. Makes sense, he's not a great skater but has really decent hands.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Won't be surprised if Olsen isn't in our top 7 next season.

Hayes is playing his way onto the team next season. Could see him as a permanent fixture on the 3rd/4th line.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I really liked Olsen when he was first brought here, but now I realize his impressive play was due to playing alongside Gudbranson. It seems without being paired with him, he's going to end up the odd man out.

As for Hayes, over the last few weeks, I've loved him getting in front of the net to screen the goaltender. That is something we've lacked for a long time and he knows how to do it well to get a goal. If that can keep up, I have no problem putting him in the Bottom 6 next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad