Thoughts on Cappy not practicing PP&PK?

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
It's pretty simple to figure out why...80% of the game is played 5v5. Right now, Cap is focusing on finding out which players can help us control the game at even strength.

Rather than, say having Nielsen and Grabner (I know he's injured) on pk drills, he is practicing them more with Lee/Skille/Conacher/Bailey/Strome to find the best combination.

Is this smart? Don't know. I do expect that special teams will be the focus once the roster is set.

In my mind even strength should be a wash or close to it during the year. The big difference if this team will be successful or not this year will be special teams in my opinion. The extra 10-15 power play goals scored/10-15 goal reduction can make a huge difference in the world over 82 games. Not like this team were world beaters on special teams last year. PK especially (29th in league only better than Panthers!). But let's wait another week.

If I am coach, these drills focus start on day 1 and are drilled to death until guys are sick of it. This is such an Achilles heel for any team - especially this one - that it is beyond me that there has been apparently zero focus on it.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
For the roster size people, they split the team up into different groupings already, why can't they practice with one of the groupings they know will be on the PK?

Clutterbuck, Nielsen, Grabner, Kulemin, Martin, Cizikas, and Bailey could all be practicing it at least a little bit as the forward group. The only new guy to the team is Kulemin, so they already know the system Cappy plays at ES.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
What are we to make of this?

Is this Normal for training camp?

To me this is unacceptable and its showing in the pre season.

I can not wrap my head around a NHL coach not practicing special teams in TC...

Am I crazy?

Thoughts?

One word: Incompetence!

Only on a team that values personal loyalty over results would have hired someone who was never on anyone's short list of rising minor league coaches like a Jack Capunao?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
One word: Incompetence!

Only on a team that values personal loyalty over results would have hired someone who was never on anyone's short list of rising minor league coaches like a Jack Capunao?
Imagine that, someone that values personal loyalty is an NHL head coach! What is this world coming too?:sarcasm:

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I would think the guys playing on the PP and PK are pretty much known so they should be spending time with those guys to work on plays or situations. The PK was so dismal last year, this team needs every minute to get back to respectability.

If it weren't Flintstone behind the bench, I would have thought this was a joke.

scott99

May 13, 2005
i would think the guys playing on the pp and pk are pretty much known so they should be spending time with those guys to work on plays or situations. The pk was so dismal last year, this team needs every minute to get back to respectability.

If it weren't flintstone behind the bench, i would have thought this was a joke.
this ^

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
And where is he coaching?

I'm honestly not sure.... but wherever it is, he's probably got his Cup ring with him.

I hate Cappy as much as anyone here, and think he needs to go. But I just don't see the outrage in this at all. Right now they need to find the right mix of guys and cut the roster down. After tonight, they have an entire week to practice systems, situations and fine tune everything. That's plenty of time for professionals at this level to get it right.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
And where is he coaching?

Don't see how this is germane. He's was an NHL coach, and a decent one. He coached from 84 to 09. He must've been halfway decent to have been around from more than 2 decades.

And I, for one, can agree with the Keenan's logic.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I never wanted someone fired so bad in my life as I did during last novembers skid. I'd much rather see cappy serving me nuggets and fries wearing a Wendy's visor. I think he'd be great in that field :)

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
They came back from the summer off.

The first thing you do is get your lineup correct.

Does it look like they have done that yet?

PP & PK will follow, probably after all cuts are made.

Forget about the scores. This is preseason, "winning" is not what pre-season games are for.

BUT, I agree we need a new coaching staff because this one sucks monkey nuts. I doubt they could even land a job in the ECHL

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Better question is why do we still need to look at Halmo, Kael, Persson, etc.?

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
Imagine that, someone that values personal loyalty is an NHL head coach! What is this world coming too?:sarcasm:

I'm sorry, while loyalty is nice, but competence and results is more important and Jack Capuano oozes neither.

Capuano should been canned a year when the Islanders got off to such a bad start, that the Isles never left the bottom of the Metro Division standings. He always looks out-coached and has the same canned post-game laundry list of excuses.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I honestly hope this guy gets canned at some point this season, but hopefully after a 4 game losing streak instead of a 15 game losing streak like Snow has let happen for years now. I really don't want this clown going into Brooklyn, WORST coach EVER.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Just FYI, Keenan is coaching Metallurg Magnitogorsk in the KHL. And they won the KHL Championship last season.

So that would put him on ahl level as a coach or lower.
Jonathon cheechoo scores 1 1/2 PTS a game, nick Bailen plays 28 minutes a game,
Nagy and hagman score a goal a game. Certainly not top talent. But good for him we all need to work.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I hope none of you are surprised. This team has been the laughing stock of the NHL for the past two decades for a reason.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
BUMP

Ok so Snow didn't want Cappy practicing the PP without Leddy and the PK without Boychuk....LOL

Im so happy I could cry right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad