Thoughts on Cappy not practicing PP&PK?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
What are we to make of this?

Is this Normal for training camp?

To me this is unacceptable and its showing in the pre season.

I can not wrap my head around a NHL coach not practicing special teams in TC...

Am I crazy?

Thoughts?

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Am I crazy?

Thoughts?

A, you're crazy, but that's OK,
B, you are right 90, no wonder the team is not properly prepared, it's amazing that they have gone this late in camp and not practiced systems, special teams.

Last edited:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm not a fan of it. That, and while I like aspects of utilizing a kind of 1-2-2 on the PP with a heavy shooter high, assignments for rebounds, deflections, misses, etc., are things to practice.

Going 0-6 or whatever is something a coach would skin one's ass raw for, but if the special teams aren't clicking and the team shows a little bit of a tendency to give up the first goal, coaching MUST address it.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I bet that any one of us would have made special teams the damn theme of camp if we were in charge. Capuano is a moron, and if the isles are on the outside this year, it will be 100% because of him.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I just don't get it. How can you go through a training camp and NOT practice special teams? Especially when we have a new defensive coach and we were awful on both the PP and PK. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I have a feeling that they're waiting until the final cuts are made to work on special teams. Not saying that I agree with this philosophy, but why wait so long otherwise?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Why is Snow accepting this?

Is this a reason to terminate Capuano's contract without further pay?

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Pre-season is just to find out about player skills and if they are willing to play hard and take chances. It is also hard to practice special teams until you have your roster set so you would know who you have so you can form combinations. The points in pre-season does not mean anything. However once the season start, Cappy better make sure that his assistant coaches will take care of both and he will put the right person out there. However they could work on winning face-offs as that is important not just in special team situations but also in games when the score is close. Well one way to win games is to be more discipline and take less penalties. Not only penalties can help the other team to get more scoring chances, it can wear your goalies out over time and limit your star players ice time (unless they also PK) and disrupt winning momentums. Best is try to stay out of box as much as you can.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I hate Jack Capuano, nothing will ever change that. He truly is the worst coach I've ever seen at the NHL level and I cannot wait til' the day he is fired.

Not a fan of this Cronin guy either to be honest.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
not a fan of having so many guys in camp so late, or not even discussing the PK. even if they wanted to just use ice time for conditioning, chemistry, etc., they could spend some time discussing different PK systems, on a drawing board.

Cappy, Cappy, Cappy... :shakehead

Al Arbour

Aug 18, 2014
New York
In Capuano's mind, he doesn't want the Islanders thinking too much on the PP or PK. If you practice too much, you become repetitive, perhaps not reacting to the situation at hand. If you think too much, you have a slower reaction to the play. Not saying if I agree or disagree, but this MAY have something to do with it.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
Mike Keenan never practiced the PP or the PK.

Why?

He thought his players were professionals and had brains to figure out what to do on the ice, also, it couldn't' be scouted since it was ever changing since the players weren't following a set plan.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

Am I crazy?

Thoughts?

You answered your own question. " Nhl coach "

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Mike Keenan never practiced the PP or the PK.

Why?

He thought his players were professionals and had brains to figure out what to do on the ice, also, it couldn't' be scouted since it was ever changing since the players weren't following a set plan.

And where is he coaching?

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
I can't say I'm bothered. Until the numbers attending camp are cut down what would be the point?

If this topic was why haven't the numbers been thinned out to allow better prep for the season then I would have something to say...but maybe they genuinely think it is too close to call?

:dunno:

IslesPanthers11

Mar 25, 2007
Some of you haven't been around hockey that long. I have seen this in the past, even with Al Arbour. It is too soon to practice those things, until he gets the roster cut down to size. It is useless to practice game situations with players that might not be around later

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Some of you haven't been around hockey that long. I have seen this in the past, even with Al Arbour. It is too soon to practice those things, until he gets the roster cut down to size. It is useless to practice game situations with players that might not be around later

Naa I haven't been around hockey too long.

Too soon to practice special teams? Wow.

Before the season starts you have pretty good idea who you are going to have on special teams with a possibility of a couple of new guys. Ever hear of break out sessions? From DAY 1 - special teams are addressed on the ice and/or in the film / meeting room and are the focus of any team that I've been around (there has been a few).

To start working on special teams with a week to go in preseason is as big a sign as any that Capuano is not a qualified or smart coach - especially for a team that could actually use the work in this area.

I get the feeling that guys like JT and even Strome play if off matter of factly to the media knowing that knowledgable people think "what is this guy doing???"

But no, let's evaluate Aness or Colin Mac some more and see who will be our 11th d-man or borderline 4th line wing. The guy is a numbskull.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I would love to say that JC is a clown.. that just might be the case.

But you have to know that he has had enough coaching an NHL experience to know a thing or two more than everyone here. Just perhaps, right?

I could only guess -- but some others have mentioned, there are bigger fish to fry.

We have alot of talent/kids/decisions to make regarding the roster as to who should get s spot and who shouldnt. Why would we be using the valuable preseason time to practice the PK and PP, which are only used a fraction of the game?

Additionally, the people who are in question, might not be on the ice for the PK/PP time anyway.

No doubt, the PK and PP were/are horrible, and need a tremendous amount of work, but I dont think I would put it on the top of my list either.

Get the roster set, get the guys in shape, get the system flowing, and then, we can work on the special teams..

I guess.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
They have practiced special teams play this week but until they cut the roster down close to who they think will be on the team they really can't get it right. Your PP guys and your PK guys are going to be regular players that have to be in sync with each other, esp on the PK. That won't happen until the roster is set after Tues. Chillax!

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
It's pretty simple to figure out why...80% of the game is played 5v5. Right now, Cap is focusing on finding out which players can help us control the game at even strength.

Rather than, say having Nielsen and Grabner (I know he's injured) on pk drills, he is practicing them more with Lee/Skille/Conacher/Bailey/Strome to find the best combination.

Is this smart? Don't know. I do expect that special teams will be the focus once the roster is set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad