Thoughts on a postseason run?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There's no jinxing anything here. Just wondering where people's heads are at.

Personally, I have doubts we make it to the final four as is. Any team in our division could take us out. I agree that it's a coinflip with a lot of clubs.

If we were to add a legit D though? So much better.

That ain't no PRS. :laugh:

Of course, I know you didn't mean to jinx anything. But, as you are well aware, finding or conceiving of jinxes is a comedic pursuit on this forum, just ask @A Loyal Dog -- he literally chases people down who remotely produce them, real or imagined. :laugh:

You forced my hand. I didn't want to give myself the extra work as there are no stock images of a burning PRS guitar. I thought I could get away with using the logo from the PRS Forums, but you rightly flagged it.

If we're going to anti-jinx this, we need a real PRS in the gif, and so I've modified and replaced the prior image.

It now looks like so:

oOdwyOW.gif

Now, GHG, fully on board in hoping they make it. That's as far as I'll go. ;)

expy

Nov 2, 2010
We probably will get ousted in the first round or 2nd at best, which would spell the end of Bergevin.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I’m not the most optimistic guy on here, but if we were to make an addition to our LD, like Ekholm, I can see us easily cruise through to the conference finals. Not to be cocky, but we have the best depth of any team in the North division, we’re excellent 5v5, we have the best defence and the best goaltending (Price in playoffs is always great, and Allen is no slouch either). We would crush the 2-man Edmonton Oilers, Toronto is as soft as a baby’s ass and their goaltending is questionable, so we would crush them too, and we always seem to have the Jets number (who also are weak on defence).

Our team is made for the playoffs. I can see Weber bouncing back and getting a little bit more energy. It’s impossible the guy’s gone from legit good to terrible in the span of a few games. I remember in his last playoff series as a Pred against the Sharks, everyone was calling him finished because he was too slow, etc.

Anyway, I’m just really excited to see THIS team in the playoffs, because to tell you the truth, I do believe this is the best “playoff-ready” team we’re going to ice in 25++ years.

Reactions: Walrus26

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We probably will get ousted in the first round or 2nd at best, which would spell the end of Bergevin.
Silver lining.

I don't see him doing anything at the deadline. The man likes cheap deals and won't pony up. Too bad too because we've had our chances over the years.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Postseason run? My only thoughts are ... why jinx it? Have we not seen this movie before?

By all means, we all wish for a postseason run -- that's the extent of my thoughts on it, to answer the question.

Can't we just like our team, enjoy the additions and see where it goes?

I've had to pull all the stops to set up an anti-jinx to this thread. Toffoli spelled as "Taffoli" is probably a good omen, which is why I've underscored it.

And, I've also had to do this ...

oOdwyOW.gif

Now, can we please get a mod to close this thread? Oh, wait ... :sarcasm:
Paul Reed Smith guitar sacrifice? You mean business!

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I’m not the most optimistic guy on here, but if we were to make an addition to our LD, like Ekholm, I can see us easily cruise through to the conference finals. Not to be cocky, but we have the best depth of any team in the North division, we’re excellent 5v5, we have the best defence and the best goaltending (Price in playoffs is always great, and Allen is no slouch either). We would crush the 2-man Edmonton Oilers, Toronto is as soft as a baby’s ass and their goaltending is questionable, so we would crush them too, and we always seem to have the Jets number (who also are weak on defence).

Our team is made for the playoffs. I can see Weber bouncing back and getting a little bit more energy. It’s impossible the guy’s gone from legit good to terrible in the span of a few games. I remember in his last playoff series as a Pred against the Sharks, everyone was calling him finished because he was too slow, etc.

Anyway, I’m just really excited to see THIS team in the playoffs, because to tell you the truth, I do believe this is the best “playoff-ready” team we’re going to ice in 25++ years.
I heard on TSN that Nashville is gonna go for it and are not trading Ekholm so you will have to move on to the next LD on the list.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I would not be upset if the Habs had a long playoff run, especially if they won the Cup.

It's really hard to judge the Habs vs other teams since we're only playing teams in the North, but they definitely seem like the best team we've had in a long time. I'd feel much better about any sort of run if they can get a few wins versus the Leafs before the end of the year.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Ekholm isn't getting traded, Preds are in the playoff race. I think the only realistic big fish that we could add would be Hampus Lindholm. That being said, I'm not sure when he is supposed to come back this year.

Reactions: jaffy27

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
LOL! Yeah okay. If you can't see the contradiction then there's nothing I can say.
There's no contradiction.

Brett Kulak is a scrub. He's a journeyman just like all the others we've had over the years. It's been a rotating cast of band-aids and it's killed us. Like so many others, he's bounced between the minors and the NHL and then we just put him in our lineup and hope the goalies bail us out. And as much as Price gave up crappy goals to begin the year, if we were even half decent on the PK his numbers would be .917.

We are going nowhere without help on the left side. Maybe we can make it out of the division, but that's by virtue of us competing against shitty teams. It's as far as we'll go. And it's a shame because this team actually has some talent and depth up front now.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Ekholm isn't getting traded, Preds are in the playoff race. I think the only realistic big fish that we could add would be Hampus Lindholm. That being said, I'm not sure when he is supposed to come back this year.
I think he's busted up pretty good. I don't think he's an option unfortunately. And Ekholm might be off the market with the 6 game winning streak.

That means going after others and getting teams to eat cap space. It can be done. But you have to pay for it and MB doesn't like to pay for anything.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think he's busted up pretty good. I don't think he's an option unfortunately. And Ekholm might be off the market with the 6 game winning streak.

That means going after others and getting teams to eat cap space. It can be done. But you have to pay for it and MB doesn't like to pay for anything.

Do you believe MB even buys into the idea of adding a PMD? When he had some cap space in the off season, he chose to acquire the rights to a physical, shutdown type of D in Edmundson.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Brett Kulak is a scrub. He's a journeyman just like all the others we've had over the years. It's been a rotating cast of band-aids and it's killed us. And as much as Price gave up crappy goals to begin the year, if we were even half decent on the PK his numbers would be .917.

We are going nowhere without help on the left side. Maybe we can make it out of the division, but that's by virtue of us competing against shitty teams. It's as far as we'll go. And it's a shame because this team actually has some talent and depth up front now.
Price is being paid 10.5 mil. It's about time he lives up to that contract. He is the best-paid goalie in the world and it's maybe three, four years ago that he played like the best goalie in the world.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Brett Kulak is a scrub. He's a journeyman just like all the others we've had over the years. It's been a rotating cast of band-aids and it's killed us. And as much as Price gave up crappy goals to begin the year, if we were even half decent on the PK his numbers would be .917.

double post

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Entry model man... :laugh: Trust me, I ain't no Eddy Van Halen.

At least the pandemic allowed me to take up guitar. That's a silver lining.

You're a man of good taste. And you've made something out of the pandemic, which is fantastic. I know a lot of people who were full of good intentions and weren't able to do as much. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: jaffy27

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Wasn't he said to be out for 6 weeks a month ago?

I think Cam Fowler could be a great add too, but I don't like the term left at his age.

I don't really see other options frankly. I would kill to have Werenski on this team as the Jackets suck, but they won't trade their 23 year old #1 dman unless they get a stud center back. Esa Lindell would be another great option, but I don't think Stars would trade him because they just made the finals last year and he was a big reason why.

The best option we have before the deadline would be to gamble on someone like Dunn.

I think after the playoffs and before the expansion draft, we could realistically get someone good. I'd look at what the Avs are going to do since they need to protect Johnson due to his NMC, obviously will protect Makar, Girard is their best all around dman so they will protect him too, which leaves Toews exposed. Another team are the Preds that will have to expose Fabbro unless they trade away one of Josi/Ekholm/Ellis.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Playoffs are all about matchups, none of the Leafs, Edm, and Jets do I consider a “bad matchup” for Habs - who have been constructed for the playoffs, especially the D-group. Conversely, I believe it’s the Habs who are a bad matchup for all 3-teams.

To be honest I’d be quite disappointed if this team doesn’t make the semi-finals (make it out of the division) - of course as with every team, staying healthy matters but this team is also deeper than all three other playoff bound teams in the division, so they have margin on that front as well.

I assume North Divison winner plays Mutual of Omaha division? Who knows what happens there, the games will likely all be held in the US due to pandemic protocol. With all things being equal Habs matchup well vs Caps, Pens & Bruins - Isles will be the tough matchup IMO

Once the 4 teams are set for the playoff semi-finals it goes by points (in the regular season) for the match-ups. So if the Habs were to make it out, and I think they can, they could play anyone of the other American teams. A Montreal-Boston Stanley Cup final is possible this season.

Reactions: salbutera

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Price is being paid 10.5 mil. It's about time he lives up to that contract. He is the best-paid goalie in the world and it's maybe three, four years ago that he played like the best goalie in the world.
WTF? Last 16-playoff games .935 sv pct, last 26-playoff games .931 the best sv pct in the NHL amongst starters w minimum 15GP, including Vasilevsky who’s at .914 brought up by last years Cup run at .925

Last edited:
Reactions: SB164

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Once the 4 teams are set for the playoff semi-finals it goes by points (in the regular season) for the match-ups. So if the Habs were to make it out, and I think they can, they could play anyone of the other American teams. A Montreal-Boston Stanley Cup final is possible this season.
Thank you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad