Thoughts now that we are 33% of the way through the season

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
1. This is not a good hockey team. Good enough to stay within closing distance of a playoff spot, but also just as likely to finish 10th in the conference and miss out on potentially drafting an elite player. Retool on the fly is pretty much dead at this point, there is no prospect who appears to be capable of playing at an elite level.

2. Blashill is not what many had hoped he'd be when he was hired. I am not suggesting he be fired so I am definitely not in the fire Blashill crowd. I'd give him until the end of next season and let the new GM make a decision on his fate. He's been successful at every other level and if the new GM believes he can cut it with a roster that at least has equivalent talent as the rest of the league then I am probably willing to buy that but it will depend heavily on the GM making that determination. If it's Steve Yzerman then that's a great stamp of approval. If it's Ryan Martin I am going to be super skeptical. That's where Blashill is right now in my mind; it could go either way.

3. I am happy to see guys like Athanasiou and Mantha finally get their shot. The one clear weakness with this franchise is younger guys are almost always only given a shot when someone else is injured. Larkin is the lone exception. These guys are clearly making the team more competitive and are generating much needed offense. The concern is Mantha could get sent back down once Abdelkader is healthy again. Perhaps the Wings waive someone to keep Mantha up, but then does Blashill go back to his puzzling decisions of playing Sheahan and Abdelkader on scoring lines? Apparently we will need to see another injury on defense in order for Sproul to get another shot.

4. Vanek was a great signing. I liked it at the time and he is strongly outproducing his contract. I do have some trepidation that Holland will sign him to a 5 x 5 contract that will sandbag the next GM. Until that happens I am going to enjoy Vanek's season.

5. It looks like Mike Green is starting to fill the role we all hoped he would when he was signed. He's on pace to put up 18 goals, his best season since 2009-10. If he continues on that pace you could potentially trade him for a pick and a prospect. Oh no, wait I forgot Ken Holland gave him a no trade clause. Not saying I would for a fact trade him if it was in fact possible, it would simply be something I would do my due diligence on and see what I could get in return. He has one year left on his contract so this would be great time to sell while his value is high. Perhaps he'd be open to being traded to a contender if we are out of the playoff race at the TDL.

6. Pending RFAs/UFAs: Brendan Smith needs to be traded. The value will be negligible but it has to be done as I can't imagine he'd have any interest in signing with Detroit. As far as RFAs go you must sign Athanasiou. Jurco doesn't look like he's going to develop into a guy you need to have on your team although I imagine Holland will qualify him. He should be traded to make room for Bert or another grinder. Lashoff will probably be qualified as a depth guy. If the defense isn't a total tire fire he'll end up in Grand Rapids so no big deal either way. Ouellet is your typical Red Wings defenseman who doesn't do enough to lock down a position but will be qualified and held onto in order to keep him around. He'll likely hold down the ceremonial Jakub Kindl roster spot. Tatar is the most intersting RFA by far. He absolutely needs to be qualified as a 2x 20 goal scorer who very nearly hit 30 goals in 2014-15. The cost is going to be a killer. However if you trade him now you are likely trading him at his lowest value. I'd absolutely shop him to see if you can make a good hockey trade to address our awful defense. Otherwise you bite the bullet and sign him with the hopes that this was simply a bad season. We are so lacking when it comes to goal scoring you need to hope he rebounds and becomes a 20 goal scorer once again.

7. As usual, my approach is the same as it's been over the past couple years: we should be sellers and not buyers if/when the trade talk heats up. I would absolutely use our best assets (Green, Tatar, Vanek) with the goal of getting at least one very good d-man prospect and at least one first round draft pick. The draft pick isn't going to be great if it's a team looking to stock up for a playoff run, so it is critical you focus on the value being returned as being a good young prospect who can be a major contributor when we are good again in 2022-23.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
2 things:

1. You kept saying the new GM which confused me, because Holland isn't going anywhere.

2. I agree the Wings should deal Tatar, Green, and Vanek. Gain assets, move assets acquired or held, for needs.

---

The Wings at this mark are where I thought they would be. The offense is inconsistent and the defense can't move the puck out of the zone.

I also think that Holland will try to improve the team, and that scares me for the Red Wings future.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
They are where I expected them to be. Mrazek and Tatar have been disappointments. Vanek has been fine offensive replacement for Datsyuk. I'd be happy if KH re-signs him.

I'm still holding out hope DRWs make the playoffs. I hope/think some other teams in the East are over-achieving and will fizzle as the season goes on. Giving Detroit a better chance down the stretch.

My goal is for me and my girl to go to the JLA and catch a few games this season. Last season at the JLA, gotta pay attribute

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
They are where I expected them to be. Mrazek and Tatar have been disappointments. Vanek has been fine offensive replacement for Datsyuk. I'd be happy if KH re-signs him.

I'm still holding out hope DRWs make the playoffs. I hope/think some other teams in the East are over-achieving and will fizzle as the season goes on. Giving Detroit a better chance down the stretch.

My goal is for me and my girl to go to the JLA and catch a few games this season. Last season at the JLA, gotta pay attribute
But for every Ottawa or Philly or Columbus that may be overachieving, there's also a Florida or a Tampa that have had a rough start. While there's plenty of time for the standings to reshuffle, I'd be surprised if this roster extended The Streak. There are just too many more talented teams.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm hoping they make the right moves and get assets to help build for the future. Vanek has to be a big piece; I hope he keeps performing. With that said, I don't trust Holland. And I've long been one of his supporters.

All in all, this is the least fun I've had watching the Red Wings in my lifetime. The team is not very good and my favorite player is no longer on the ice. And unlike the last time my favorite player (Fedorov) left, there is no replacement at the moment. It's tough. I am very thankful for all of the memories and entertainment this organization brought me throughout my life up until this point though. That can never be taken away.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
But for every Ottawa or Philly or Columbus that may be overachieving, there's also a Florida or a Tampa that have had a rough start. While there's plenty of time for the standings to reshuffle, I'd be surprised if this roster extended The Streak. There are just too many more talented teams.

I think it is also fair to consider (I think according to Mickey Redmond) DRWs have the most man games lost due to injuries. That should also play a factor, assuming they can get/stay healthy.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I think it is also fair to consider (I think according to Mickey Redmond) DRWs have the most man games lost due to injuries. That should also play a factor, assuming they can get/stay healthy.

the players we've issued hardly matter

3rd line center and winger, Abby and helm, are the biggest losses. Big deal.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised. It was always within the realm of reasonable possibility. To me it'd be about as weird as if you rolled heads 3 times in a row.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised. It was always within the realm of reasonable possibility. To me it'd be about as weird as if you rolled heads 3 times in a row.
So you're saying there's a 12.5% chance they make the playoffs. ;)

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
the players we've issued hardly matter

3rd line center and winger, Abby and helm, are the biggest losses. Big deal.

When Helm went down he was one of the top point producers on the team. Howard was probably one of the hottest goalies in the NHL, Vanek was injured through our losing stretch. AA was a jet engine on the team before he went down.

Seems like when you put things in real perspective, it does, in fact, matter greatly.

Anytime you can sit both Miller and Jurco, you are already a better team.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I never thought i'd say this but I miss Babcock

Babcock was a good coach with warts

Blashill is not only not as good but at this point he has even more warts than Babcock did

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
When Helm went down he was one of the top point producers on the team. Howard was probably one of the hottest goalies in the NHL, Vanek was injured through our losing stretch. AA was a jet engine on the team before he went down.

Seems like when you put things in real perspective, it does, in fact, matter greatly.

Anytime you can sit both Miller and Jurco, you are already a better team.

Helm went pointless for 9 games before getting injured.

The only important injuries we had so far were Vanek and Howard. Mrazek was able to do a good enough job in holding down the fort while Jimmy was away. Vanek's line mates (Nyquist & Helm) didn't do a good job once he went down.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I never thought i'd say this but I miss Babcock

Babcock was a good coach with warts

Blashill is not only not as good but at this point he has even more warts than Babcock did

Babcock was one of the very best coaches in the league. What the hell are you talking about?

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Pretty much where I thought they'd be at this point - right in the mix. You can say the same about all East teams, though. The only surprise for me is Ottawa and Boston. I thought it would be TB and FL in their places. The Metro looks much MUCH stronger, so hoping for a wild card spot is a kind of a wash. It's top 3 in the division or bust. Kind of problematic when our division record is awful.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Can't figure this out. We literally have the worst PP on the road yet we have a winning record away. But the PP at home is clicking around 20% but we can't win at the Joe to save our lives it seems. It's sickening. WTF??

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
This team is built to miss the playoffs, but not bad enough where the Wings get a top five pick.

Literally the worst case scenario.

Built to miss the playoffs? Oh please. This team is good enough to make the playoffs, especially in the East. The problem is Mrazek forgot how to play goal, Larkin and Tatar aren't as effective as last season, and it seems a player goes down with an injury every other game. The 3-8 run or whatever they had in November killed any comfortable lead they had at the start.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I literally have no idea anymore. I divided the games by home and away for GF and GA. We've scored 38 goals at home for a whopping 2.53GF avg and gave up 36 goals for a 2.4GA avg and PP clicking at 20% yet we've lost 9 games at home out of 15. We've scored 29 goals away(not including shootouts) for a GF avg of 2.23 and gave up 40 goals for a (get this) 3.07 GA avg. and PP is nonexistent ( last in the league ), yet we have only lost 6 games 7-5-1. How is that even possible right? Our losses away have been absolute drubbings apparently. But the home games I can't figure out. I would figure that would be better than winning only 6 ****ing games at home no?

theYman

Feb 28, 2008

Yeah they're counting Nosek, Franzen, Vitale and that Finnish guy in there too. :laugh:

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I mean even without them we've had 7 roster players out at one time. We're probably near the top.

Edit: uh, I just looked at dailyfaceoff, says XO is on the injured list - did I miss something?

Last edited:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
The six-game winning streak gave me a false hope for this season. I figured we would struggle to do much of anything because our biggest need was never addressed. I like keeping Green and Nielsen, but we have too many players playing too high in the line-up. Sheahan and Glendenning for starters, and toss in Ericsson's bad hips/Kronwall's bad knees/Tatar's predictable button-hooking everywhere on thice, and it's just asking for trouble if you play any of them, let alone all of them, on your top 2 lines. And then the head-scratcher in Lashoff even coming anywhere near the big club, at the expense of giving minutes to someone (Sproul) who actually makes the offense better.

TL;DR - Having not upgraded the Defence, this is about what I expected.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Built to miss the playoffs? Oh please. This team is good enough to make the playoffs, especially in the East. The problem is Mrazek forgot how to play goal, Larkin and Tatar aren't as effective as last season, and it seems a player goes down with an injury every other game. The 3-8 run or whatever they had in November killed any comfortable lead they had at the start.

Nah, this team was Pavel Datsyuk. Take him out and replace him with inferior talent, and you get a team that won't make the playoffs.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
BC (big chuckle) at the Vanek hype. To read each day "he's our best forward" it can be reviling. The same folks who want a full on rebuild in the same breath gush over Vanek. I'd rather look to the future. The fact he's near the most creative forward on the Wings is part of what bothers me. In comparison to other teams producers, even older players he's fairly meh. Skates with the same brand of back brace Zetterberg and Kronwall wear it's nuts to see him overvalued so. He'll return a nobody prospect and a 3rd rounder, so what.

Been a rocky two months. You always hear, "it's early, it's early", yeah then it's the new year. Same thing with pre-season, it's supposedly meaningless, GMAB. The injuries to Vanek, Helm, and AA hurt us the most. To recap: Getting drubbed by TB and Florida to begin, then the epic 6 game win streak!, followed by 5 losses. Yay! 2 wins then another 4 game LS until the wins vs. Sabres and Devils (that saved our ass). The last 7 we're 2-5 (with loser points thrown in). Our showing doesn't speak playoff achievers at all.

I like the "grade" system sports writers use to evaluate players/coaching, hoping to see that done again here. Nielsen and Vanek have been positives. The few players I see improved: Green, Mantha, Howard, Athanasiou, Ericsson, DeKeyser. The rest have either regressed or remained stable.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad