Thoughts about Jankowski?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I didn't say he wasn't a good prospect - I agree that he would have made a decent 2nd round pick for the Flames. But first round? Sorry - I think there were better players available.

You said there were still good prospects left implying he isn't one.

Outside of TT no one else would have fit our needs, while it is a gamble that Janko becomes a top 6 forward, we have the potential to get a top 6 player and a top 4 defenseman at the cost of a potential top 6 forward.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
You said there were still good prospects left implying he isn't one.

Outside of TT no one else would have fit our needs, while it is a gamble that Janko becomes a top 6 forward, we have the potential to get a top 6 player and a top 4 defenseman at the cost of a potential top 6 forward.

There were good prospects ahead of him. A player can still be a decent prospect even if he isn't considered top of the heep. That's what you normally imply when you say that a guy would make a good second round pick. It's nothing personal against the player - he is what he is.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
There were good prospects ahead of him. A player can still be a decent prospect even if he isn't considered top of the heep. That's what you normally imply when you say that a guy would make a good second round pick. It's nothing personal against the player - he is what he is.

Except he isn't he was a first round pick and if not by us then by PHX or VAN (both wanted him and PHX tried to trade up to get him) so stop calling him a 2nd rounder he wasn't. He is a risk but many saw him as a possible late first for a team willing to take a chance on him because they skill is there.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
He's the best player in the world not playing in the NHL right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sarcasm:

Seriously though I like his size if he can fill out properly. And looking at the videos of him playing he's gotten some real nice assists and has good stickhandling. Next year will be when we see what he can do once he gets top minutes of ice time.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Except he isn't he was a first round pick and if not by us then by PHX or VAN (both wanted him and PHX tried to trade up to get him) so stop calling him a 2nd rounder he wasn't. He is a risk but many saw him as a possible late first for a team willing to take a chance on him because they skill is there.

Feaster should have left him to the yotes and Canucks and picked someone more highly rated.

That's all I'll say about the Jankster.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Feaster should have left him to the yotes and Canucks and picked someone more highly rated.

By who ISS? TSN? They are wrong every year about prospects, why even have scouts if we are just going to pick who TSN says we should. We were going to trade the pick until our scouts saw Janko, there is clearly something there for them to risk their reputation on him maybe we should let it play out before we call it a bad pick?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Interesting in that you say, "Highly rated" you mean based on media consensus?

Thats a very poor way to draft and I am sure I don't need to tell you why.

There is likely a reason Teuvo and Maatta fell as far as they did, that teams only realized upon interviewing them, or seeing them play in person.

Look how many top 5 busts there have been in the past decade based on players picked on media consensus, look at Couturier falling because of how he was being rated in the media. Lots of teams probably regret passing on him now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think most people on this forum know how I feel about Janko.
Not a great pick, if he were going this year he'd be very late first, mid second at best. Not a bad start to his college career... But man TT is killing it against men... He's still a long shot for the nhl, which makes me sad. Calgary didn't have the luxury to draft a long term project, they needed to pick up the most sure high end skill they could get.

That pick stings... He looks to be very average... Hopefully with more work and a bit more age, he could pick his game up next year. The team he plays on isn't very offensive.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think most people on this forum know how I feel about Janko.
Not a great pick, if he were going this year he'd be very late first, mid second at best. Not a bad start to his college career... But man TT is killing it against men... He's still a long shot for the nhl, which makes me sad. Calgary didn't have the luxury to draft a long term project, they needed to pick up the most sure high end skill they could get.

That pick stings... He looks to be very average... Hopefully with more work and a bit more age, he could pick his game up next year. The team he plays on isn't very offensive.

Have you watched his games at all? He is easily the most skilled player on his team he needed to adjust to playing against bigger older players what did you expect from him ppg pace?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Have you watched his games at all? He is easily the most skilled player on his team he needed to adjust to playing against bigger older players what did you expect from him ppg pace?

Fan boy, do you not read?
I didn't say anything about his skill package, and in fact I even stated the
team doesn't score a lot.
I even say I hope he develops his game more next year.

The star of that team's a flame, but sure ain't Janko.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Fan boy, do you not read?
I didn't say anything about his skill package, and in fact I even stated the
team doesn't score a lot.
I even say I hope he develops his game more next year.

The star of that team's a flame, but sure ain't Janko.

You said he looks to be average so I asked have you seen him because he doesn't look average at all, he is adapting to the new league no doubt but calling him average screams "I look at score sheets"

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Interesting in that you say, "Highly rated" you mean based on media consensus?

I meant higher than Jankowski. If Feaster had stayed at 14 he could have had Ceci and that's the guy I think he should have picked.

Feaster was in no place to gamble with his first round pick last year and he'll be in the same position this time around. The Yotes and Canucks may have wanted Jankowski but they had the prospect pools giving them the ability to take a chance once in a while. Feaster simply doesn't have luxory of a deep prospect pool.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I like Jankowski; this is his first year in the NCAA, so it's not usual to see someone tear the league up. He also came from an inferior league, so if anyone was expecting him to have a 1PPG this year, they were delusional. Jankowski has some sick hands, but he needs to build some more muscle.

However, if you were to ask me if the Flames should have kept the #14 overall pick, that's another story.

I've watched 4-5 PC games, so if anyone will ask me if I have watched a single game, there's your answer.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I meant higher than Jankowski. If Feaster had stayed at 14 he could have had Ceci and that's the guy I think he should have picked.

Feaster was in no place to gamble with his first round pick last year and he'll be in the same position this time around. The Yotes and Canucks may have wanted Jankowski but they had the prospect pools giving them the ability to take a chance once in a while. Feaster simply doesn't have luxory of a deep prospect pool.

You think the Canucks have a deep prospect pool? Jesus they might the worst.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
If he isn't a PPG next year, I'd be disappointed. I'd like to expect more from a first rounder.
We should be used to the fact that first rounders don't all turn out. I'm glad they took a shot at someone with good potential to be a difference maker. At any rate it's too early to judge the pick, especially against the other picks.

I really hope we can hit a home run with first rounders this year :yo:

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC

Why don't we just make you the head scout of the Calgary Flames right now? You seem to know more then them... You do realize that these "best players" you speak of don't always pan out, should I make a list? Taking what is regarded as the best player because the media says they are mean nothing. We've seen this time after time.

The media simply ranks who they feel is the best player overall. They don't look at how the player will fit into a certain system and another, they don't know if these players can translate their game to the pro. They just rank them in relation to the other 18 year olds. I get that your not happy with the pick and thats fine. But to simply say he's a 2nd round pick or "he is what he is" is just foolish. The Flames we're not the only team looking at him and we knew from the gate that it will take this guy longer to develop then others. For him to go from playing high school hockey to the NCAA as an 18 year old and have a .55 PPG avg, I don't see what more we are expecting from him.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Why don't we just make you the head scout of the Calgary Flames right now? You seem to know more then them... You do realize that these "best players" you speak of don't always pan out, should I make a list? Taking what is regarded as the best player because the media says they are mean nothing. We've seen this time after time.

The media simply ranks who they feel is the best player overall. They don't look at how the player will fit into a certain system and another, they don't know if these players can translate their game to the pro. They just rank them in relation to the other 18 year olds. I get that your not happy with the pick and thats fine. But to simply say he's a 2nd round pick or "he is what he is" is just foolish. The Flames we're not the only team looking at him and we knew from the gate that it will take this guy longer to develop then others. For him to go from playing high school hockey to the NCAA as an 18 year old and have a .55 PPG avg, I don't see what more we are expecting from him.

Scouts ranked him as a second round (CSS had him ranked at 43 for N.A. skaters) pick and others as going higher. I'll take their word for it. And once again, lots of kids (Both drafted and undrafted) go from draft age to NCAA. And lots of them don't wind up in the NHL either.

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Scouts ranked him as a second round pick and others as going higher. I'll take their word for it. And once again, lots of kids (Both drafted and undrafted) go from draft age to NCAA. And lots of them don't wind up in the NHL either.

Almost ever player in the NCAA is 19 not 18, also what scouts? ISS? The same people that ranked Filatov in the top 10 and Eberle just above 30?

Scouts make mistakes all the time why are you so quick to assume its Calgary's scouts that are wrong and not ISS?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Almost ever player in the NCAA is 19 not 18, also what scouts? ISS? The same people that ranked Filatov in the top 10 and Eberle just above 30?

Scouts make mistakes all the time why are you so quick to assume its Calgary's scouts that are wrong and not ISS?

Again, undrafted guys like Quentin Shore (Denver) went into the NCAA at 18 and did well in their rookie seasons. I don't know why you think a drafted guy like Jankowski is so special.

Link: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130990

Scouts may make mistakes but seeing a ranking for Jankowski at 43 should have sent some warning bells across the Flames' draft table as they were discussing the first round pick.

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Again, undrafted guys like Quentin Shore (Denver) went in at 18 and did well in their rookie seasons.

Link: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130990

Scouts may make mistakes but seeing a ranking for Jankowski at 43 should have sent some warning bells across the Flames' draft table as they were discussing the first round pick.

I haven't seen Shore so I cannot comment on his specific case but I would assume he is playing with his brother Nick so that is a pretty big advantage. Not to mention he played in the USHL which isn't as big of a jump to the NCAA as highschool. Watching Janko you can see the skill he just has to adjust to the speed and the size of his opponents.

Again the Flames weren't going to have a 1st in the draft if they didn't draft Janko, Assistant GM Weisbrod said he would stick his reputation on Janko and told Feaster not to move the pick. They see something special and given that almost no one gets drafted out of high school I bet most scouts barely saw him play unlike the Calgary scouts who watched him a fair bit.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I haven't seen Shore so I cannot comment on his specific case but I would assume he is playing with his brother Nick so that is a pretty big advantage. Not to mention he played in the USHL which isn't as big of a jump to the NCAA as highschool. Watching Janko you can see the skill he just has to adjust to the speed and the size of his opponents.

Again the Flames weren't going to have a 1st in the draft if they didn't draft Janko, Assistant GM Weisbrod said he would stick his reputation on Janko and told Feaster not to move the pick. They see something special and given that almost no one gets drafted out of high school I bet most scouts barely saw him play unlike the Calgary scouts who watched him a fair bit.

This is the thing people kind of forget with Jankowski, hes a bit of a special case. Management is very, very high on him. More so than they were with even Baertschi. They knew it would be a project when they selected him, so to say if it was a good or bad pick is a little silly right now because no one really knows.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Scouts ranked him as a second round (CSS had him ranked at 43 for N.A. skaters) pick and others as going higher. I'll take their word for it.

You forget to realize that if Jankowski was born 2 days later he would've been a 2013 pick and many of your "scouts" believe that he could've been a top 10 pick in that draft. Scouts rank the players in comparisons to the others and how they are doing presently.. They don't look at the fact that Jankowski might have more potential then the others. When they make their rankings they put the players who are more NHL ready over some that may take 2-3 more years.

And once again, lots of kids (Both drafted and undrafted) go from draft age to NCAA. And lots of them don't wind up in the NHL either.

What are you trying to say here? That the NCAA is a weak league? Im pretty sure that many players from any other league do good and don't wind up in the NHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like Jankowski. He is a prospect with the things you just can't teach, like vision, hockey sense & size. I understand he is a high risk pick because of where he was playing but his adjustment to NCAA play has done nothing but make me more excited about him.

I also don't understand people saying they would rather have someone rated higher, because he was rated higher by the Flames, that's why they picked him! There are also rumors that Phoenix and New Jersey were both trying to trade up to pick him and that the Canucks were hoping he would be available at their pick, so its pretty clear others had him rated highly too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad