Thornton, Marleau, & Boyle contract talk

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
5-year deals for JT and PM with full no-trade clauses and they'll be 39ish at the end of the term and could retire as Sharks and have their jerseys rise to the rafters together in a ceremony for the ages! :cheers:

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Current contracts: JT $7M, PM $6.9M, DB $6.67M.

I would hope Boyle, at 38 going into next season, gets no more than a 2-year offer, at $4-4.5 max. His skill set will be the hardest for DW to replace, but there's no point overpaying for a declining asset.

Joe and Patty are 3 years younger. If Marleau's lost a step, I haven't noticed. JT visibly forces passes sometimes now, but he's still a premier center. $5.5-6 each for 3 years.

Too bad Joe didn't have a year left under contract. He'd still fetch a big return. The Leafs are an obvious destination. Kadri+Gardiner on draft day. /fantasy

You're absolutely dreaming.... thanks for the laugh though :naughty::sarcasm::laugh:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Marleau and Thornton are getting 35+ million dollar deals (7 mill for 5 years) each, mark my words.

They are worth that on the open market (Patty's hands, hockey sense and wheels aren't waning and JT's passing doesn't wilter with age).

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Marleau and Thornton are getting 35+ million dollar deals (7 mill for 5 years) each, mark my words.

They are worth that on the open market (Patty's hands, hockey sense and wheels aren't waning and JT's passing doesn't wilter with age).

Thornton does not sign 5 year deals. It'll be a 3 year deal, as always.

I doubt Marleau asks for a 5 year deal either.

Weltsky

Sep 21, 2005
Calgary, Alberta
Bruce Garrioch reported in the Calgary Sun that he has sources saying both Thornton and Marleau are close to signing three year deals worth close to the 7 million and 6.9 million they are currently making. Any word on this from any of the sharks media types?? Not sure how reliable Garrioch is.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Bruce Garrioch reported in the Calgary Sun that he has sources saying both Thornton and Marleau are close to signing three year deals worth close to the 7 million and 6.9 million they are currently making. Any word on this from any of the sharks media types?? Not sure how reliable Garrioch is.

Exceedingly unreliable, but that sounds quite logical.

Not to call out Garioch or anything- I assume he is also a member of this board- but I think McLellan or Wilson called him as "the guy who usually is spinning stuff up", when he was around for the sharks/senators.

I'd love to get Thornton for 3 years at 7 and Marleau for 5 years at 6, though I'd be fine with 3 years at 6.9 as well.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

He is not very reliable for anything outside of maybe the sens.

sjshrky27

Jan 15, 2007
CA
Wasn't Thornton's last contract announced the day of the trade deadline? Wonder if the Sharks org will do this again with the all three players.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wasn't Thornton's last contract announced the day of the trade deadline? Wonder if the Sharks org will do this again with the all three players.

Nah, they announced Thornton's last contract like within the first week of the season pretty much just after their trip to Sweden.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

As many have already said, Garrioch isn't at all reliable for anything other then Ottawa stuff.

However, I'd be good with both of those contracts so I'll just hope this is one of those blind squirrel things.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
As many have already said, Garrioch isn't at all reliable for anything other then Ottawa stuff.

However, I'd be good with both of those contracts so I'll just hope this is one of those blind squirrel things.

It does seem like a pretty good educated guess on his part. Both players have not declined at all since they last signed the contract. And you could technically say they are playing some of the best hockey of there lives.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'd be really okay with just a three year continuation of their current contracts. Does make it interesting that they'd both make more than Pavelski.

I think we need to give up the dream of some big discount in those two. Just look at the Sedin contracts and the Datsyuk contract.

Oppa

#
Oct 31, 2011
Unless they have a case of Benjamin Button, I'm assuming they won't play like this in 3 years.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Unless they have a case of Benjamin Button, I'm assuming they won't play like this in 3 years.

I will go out on a limb and say by the time those 3 years were done, they would still be a much better value then pavelski at 35 years old and at 5 million.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It will then turn to the sharks are going to trade him to the leafs.

"Thornton for JVR+Phaneuf"

"No, Thornton's too old. JVR's little finger has more value than he does but we really want him. We'll give you Ashton+McLaren+7th for Thornton."

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
"Thornton for JVR+Phaneuf"

"No, Thornton's too old. JVR's little finger has more value than he does but we really want him. We'll give you Ashton+McLaren+7th for Thornton."

Adding the 7th is to much for thornton. How about ashton+mclaren for thornton+1st.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I remember last year when Leafs fans thought that Jumbo was not even worth a 1 on 1 for Kadri. How things have changed.

There's apparently an Eklund rumor saying the Sharks are the only team interesting in Kadri who also has the piece that Toronto would trade Kadri for. And low and behold, Leafs fans are convinced that Kadri is better than both Couture and Pavelski. :laugh:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
There's apparently an Eklund rumor saying the Sharks are the only team interesting in Kadri who also has the piece that Toronto would trade Kadri for. And low and behold, Leafs fans are convinced that Kadri is better than both Couture and Pavelski. :laugh:

Well kadri did have that one better year in jr, so that automatically makes him better then a player that already has 2 30 goal seasons, 1 30+ goal pace season. And something like 3 50 point seasons and one he was on pace for 70 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00