Thornton, Marleau, & Boyle contract talk

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I thought there was some kind of thread that mentioned the contract talks for those three, but couldn't find it. Figured since this is likely to be a topic of interest for the rest of the year, it could use a spot for discussion. This is from the insider piece published this morning about the salary cap and BOG meetings:

In San Jose, GM Doug Wilson has taken his time in contract talks with captain Joe Thornton, along with Patrick Marleau and Dan Boyle, all unrestricted free agents after this season.

He's done it in part because there's a benefit in getting a clear understanding of exactly where the cap is going to be next season. He has that now, and it could help facilitate a deal between the Sharks and Thornton.

Thornton's camp has made the Sharks an offer for a three-year contract worth close to the $7 million per season he's earning right now. Considering the market price for franchise centers right now, along with the healthy increase in the salary cap, San Jose would do well to accept it and get that deal done quickly. Thornton's decision not to gouge his team (or test the market) gives San Jose more flexibility in future deals for Boyle and Marleau if this one gets done soon.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/post?id=674

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
My guess is still Thornton gets $7m, Marleau gets $6m, Boyle gets $5m.

I'm be cool with this. Thornton deserves it.

If Boyle steps it up again, then I'd probably be okay with $6mil but if he doesn't and he gets $6 mil I'd be pretty annoyed.

If Marleau keeps up his pace then I'd be good with $6.5 mil. I wouldn't be surprised if he did either way.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
If DW can the three of them under contract for a combined $18mil I'd be thrilled! I doubt it'll happen as Thornton is still worth $7mil and Marleau at least $6.5.

I have no idea what to expect with Boyle as he clearly wants a multi year deal and I'd be OK with a 2 year deal for the right price but I don't know if Boyle will be.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If DW can the three of them under contract for a combined $18mil I'd be thrilled! I doubt it'll happen as Thornton is still worth $7mil and Mearleau at least $6.5.

I have no idea what to expect with Boyle as he clearly wants a multi year deal and I'd be OK with a 2 year deal for the right price but I don't know if Boyle will be.

At this point, Boyle should be taking a one year contract with bonuses like Blake took in his second season here after a 45 point season.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I'd like to see Marleau signed very long term and reduce his cap hit by a bit. He's very durable and will remain an effective player for a long time coming. There's little risk outside freak injury.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
DW has obviously not taken up JT on JT's counter. That says something. That said, DW's past behavior is such that he will be close to $7mil if he does sign JT. DW will not lowball with a counter; he just won't respond. In DW's thinking, a lowball is an insult to the player.

LeBrun of TSN had a report recently that Marleau was not talking with DW as he did not have an agent. Another article reported that Marleau would be doing his own negotiations this time around.

The latest from TSN says that the cap is projected to be $71mil for next season.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
DW has obviously not taken up JT on JT's counter. That says something. That said, DW's past behavior is such that he will be close to $7mil if he does sign JT. DW will not lowball with a counter; he just won't respond. In DW's thinking, a lowball is an insult to the player.

LeBrun of TSN had a report recently that Marleau was not talking with DW as he did not have an agent. Another article reported that Marleau would be doing his own negotiations this time around.

The latest from TSN says that the cap is projected to be $71mil for next season.

Are you saying DW already made JT an offer and JT counter offered that?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Hold up there. The other article speculated that Marleau would negotiate on his own. I don't think anything was outright reported.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

That quote doesn't specify when JT's offer was made to DW but it does imply that DW was waiting on cap projections, which he got yesterday, so there is absolutely no way to know whether or not DW has, or will, respond to it. He certainly wouldn't tell Craig Custance one way or the other.

You may be right that DW just won't respond but that's pure speculation at this point.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009

awfully big assumption on your part is it not?? Last we heard was until the teams had an idea on next years cap DW wouldn't be making any offers(logical). Source as to DW offering JT a deal and JT's camp countering??

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
That quote doesn't specify when JT's offer was made to DW but it does imply that DW was waiting on cap projections, which he got yesterday, so there is absolutely no way to know whether or not DW has, or will, respond to it. He certainly wouldn't tell Craig Custance one way or the other.

You may be right that DW just won't respond but that's pure speculation at this point.

+1 agree

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Are you saying DW already made JT an offer and JT counter offered that?
Yup.

I will also qualify that DW might sell the $7mil to others (eg Pavs and Couture) by saying that the higher cap justifies a ratcheting of their internal salary structure.

I am still waiting for the fallout leaguewide on contracts of the higher cap and the guarantee from the following year that another $3mil will be added to it.

You may be correct on timing.

ON4,
The report was quoting Marleau as saying he would do it on his own. It wasn't speculation that he would. It was discussed in another thread at the time.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yup.

I will also qualify that DW might sell the $7mil to others (eg Pavs and Couture) by saying that the higher cap justifies a ratcheting of their internal salary structure.

I am still waiting for the fallout leaguewide on contracts of the higher cap and the guarantee from the following year that another $3mil will be added to it.

You may be correct on timing.

ON4,
The report was quoting Marleau as saying he would do it on his own. It wasn't speculation that he would. It was discussed in another thread at the time.

With the internal numbers, that is thinking that wilson thinks that pavs and couture are the new money leaders on the team.

Wilson could also think marleau and thornton are the top money makers on the team and couture and pavs were done 1st just to get them done because they were going to be the hardest of the 4.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
With the internal numbers, that is thinking that wilson thinks that pavs and couture are the new money leaders on the team.

Wilson could also think marleau and thornton are the top money makers on the team and couture and pavs were done 1st just to get them done because they were going to be the hardest of the 4.

I said in the previous thread regarding JT's next deal that he will still be paid as the top dog. Logan will not be the top dog UNTIL HIS NEXT CONTRACT. As it should be. Those thinking JT or Marleau getting less than or equal to Juicy/Pavs are dillusional ;)

Last edited:

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose

My opinion is his current behavior being consistent with his past quotes and behavior. He does the top dog first. To alter my opinion, you need show instances where he has done differently.

My opinion of DW's thinking would change if the performance of any of the big 3 changed the ranking on the team. That performance is not in points alone. TOI is a big factor. And TOI rankings should be taken separately for dmen and forwards. Currently, Couture is not as high as it should be to justify salary. Pavs is a little low as well. It is only recently that JT's TOI jumped. And, it is too early to tell if it will change. Patty's TOI is the only one in his previous range.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Cap goes up to 71 million in 2 years, that should go into play if possible.

Although, I'd rather keep Thornton more than the other two.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Depends on two main things.

1. If his play has improved by the TDL.
2. If he wants anything over 4.5 M AAV and/or a 2 year term. I dont want him.

You simply can't trust Boyle with term at his age and his play even if it does improve before the deadline. They can still pay him handsomely on one year contracts with easy bonuses. I don't think the team can afford to take the risk on Boyle with term and the 35+ contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad