Thornton: "Doug Needs to Shut His Mouth & Stop Lying"

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Seguin has another 15 years to win one. Kessel is just awful, and I disagree about Thornton. I think it is very easy to label him as invisible and choker without realizing that circumstances play a huge role. Had he stayed in Boston, I think he would have a ring right now. People said Hossa was a choker when he lost back to back finals with Detroit and Pittsburg, they don't say it anymore. I obviously can't prove my point because we will never know, but thornton play hard in Boston, through broken ribs at one point as I recall, and has played hard for San Jose.

And at any rate, if the butterfly effect of trading Thornton was for Boston to win a cup, I eternally grateful. for posters to say this was a great trade for Boston? That's where I draw the line.

I honestly don't know how you can call Kessel awful.
He is one of the best goal scorers out there.
Oh yes, he is out of shape: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2015/01/24/kessel-outraces-seguin-nhl-all-stars-lighten-up.html

He sure looks chubby to me, but if he can score, and apparently fast, who cares.
Great defensively, nope, but you got to give up something for a 40 goal scorer.
But he is terrible with the media. Not everyone has the gift for gab, and some people
are very shy.

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
I always found Thornton frustrating. He's got the size, strength, talent & skill to be one of the best ever. The only thing lacking is the drive & determination to be one of the best ever. I think if he had that the Sharks would have won a Cup or two, they've had some damn good teams.

I'm going to disagree here, I don't think Thornton lacks drive and determination at all.

I just think that like Iginla he is cursed and will never win the Stanley Cup no matter what. The opposite of a guy like Mark Recchi who always seems to bring good luck and always seems to be at the right place at the right time.

gvkmedia

Let’s fight through this….
Mar 2, 2002
Kingsville
www.hollandbloorview.ca
He sure looks chubby to me, but if he can score, and apparently fast, who cares.
Great defensively, nope, but you got to give up something for a 40 goal scorer.
But he is terrible with the media. Not everyone has the gift for gab, and some people
are very shy.

Never has been a 40 goal scorer. He is a good streaky goal scorer. Nothing else. Best trade we've made since Neely.

Of course, that was followed by the wors... aw, never mind.

roguepatriot

Jun 24, 2010
I'm going to disagree here, I don't think Thornton lacks drive and determination at all.

I just think that like Iginla he is cursed and will never win the Stanley Cup no matter what. The opposite of a guy like Mark Recchi who always seems to bring good luck and always seems to be at the right place at the right time.

You're right that he is the opposite of someone like Mark Recchi; but it has little to do with luck. With regard to Jerome; at least he got to the dance, he just was too loyal/not smart with regard to the teams he signed with if his goal was really to win a Stanley cup over the last ten years. Mark's 'luck' with the teams' he's won with after signing contracts with them suggest more to do with shrewdness than that he had also signed a contract with the devil.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I don't think he's cursed at all. I think he's too laid back/easygoing.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I think we may be seeing the Thornton/O'Connell all over again with Thornton/Wilson and they are both to blame. Joe Thornton is who he is, always has been, always will be. Great numbers, going to the HOF, but will never win a Cup as a key player. Shame on Doug Wilson for extending him and not dealing with this sooner. For years, he was another guy who brought in big name players and repeatedly failed. It is time for him to go.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
All of these just confirms to me what I already believed; Joe is an ultimate hypocrite. Larry Robinson might have a right to be upset about this, but it perfectly describes Joe and to me says nothing even mildly controversial. Was it smart for his GM to say this in public, of course not; especially based on Joe's inability to take criticism. This is not about his ability as a player; he has the skills of a HOF player; this is about his character. Some people are not born to be leaders; nor are capable of learning the skills to cover over that lack of natural talent. For me; this guy is a good example of that and his GM and his response to it confirms it for me.

If Joe cannot take this simple, honest criticism then it simply confirms that his character and maturity are as strong as his success in the playoffs.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Like playing with Mario Lemieux and TT.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Don't really know the situation in SJ --nor can I say I really care.

I just think it's odd that their GM would even flirt with this issue while they are in a legitimate hunt for a playoff spot.

I can think if a dozen different ways to handle that question other than to suggest JT, who many of the players in the room appear to like a lot, "lashes out" when the stress gets too high for him.

Risks undermining team in the playoff run and sets up a "him or me" situation. Given that the "me" in the equation gave the "him" a three year NMC -- I know who is going to win that battle.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Never has been a 40 goal scorer. He is a good streaky goal scorer. Nothing else. Best trade we've made since Neely.

Of course, that was followed by the wors... aw, never mind.

Every time Kessel is called a 40-goal scorer, a Leafs fan gets a waffle. :laugh:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Marleau and Thornton are in line to pass Howe on the all time games played list. I think Iginla will get there first but one of Thornton or Marleau can catch him and play a year longer and retire with that record.

If Im San Jose I make one a healthy scratch 10 games straight. I bet they waive after that.

Both guys want that record so does Iggy.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Marleau and Thornton are in line to pass Howe on the all time games played list. I think Iginla will get there first but one of Thornton or Marleau can catch him and play a year longer and retire with that record.

If Im San Jose I make one a healthy scratch 10 games straight. I bet they waive after that.

Both guys want that record so does Iggy.

No doubt the NHLPA would have zero problem with that. :sarcasm:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Minors would take care of that. They wouldn't be the first to go down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad